Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 2016 Weis Little Joe Travel Trailer. It‘s weight is 1000 and the hitch weight is only 180 lbs, that puts me over by 4 lbs. I would like opinions on adding a 2 inch trailer hitch and towing this trailer.

1587688835077.jpeg

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,488 Posts
@Lantz What year, transmission is your vehicle? Where did you come up with the idea you are 4lbs over the tow limit?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Specifications show 1500 tow weight with 176 tongue weight. This shows 180 tongue weight and I thought that was terribly close to maximum tow weight.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,488 Posts
That could be a problem, as you do not know what the tongue weight will be after loading. More than likely the tongue weight after loading the trailer will be higher? That 180lb is that the dry tongue weight vs loaded tongue weight? You got a bathroom scale to put the tongue on the scale to weigh the actual tongue weight?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought I would load everything in my car and not in the trailer until I was to where I needed to be. I could use my scale. I had not thought of that. Thanks.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5 Premium CVT
31 Posts
My opinion is NO, assuming you want to go down the highway at normal speeds and around corners, etc. I tow an aluminum utility trailer with one motorcycle in it, total weight of under 1000 lb. The trailer is quite low, and has a nice long tongue.

Even so, it makes the Forester even more twitchy on the road than it normally is. Don't want to turn the wheel suddenly, or try to stop real fast.

I think the trailer shown would be a nightmare to drive. I had a single axle travel trailer and hated it (different tow vehicle). Like the OP mentioned, I tried to distribute the weight in the trailer and tow vehicle but it's a fine balance beween too much tongue weight and too little (which causes worse stability)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much! I was still considering it but will not try. I thought it was pushing the Forester too much.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,507 Posts
@Lantz what model year is your Forester?

For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2013 Forester 2.0 Diesel
28 Posts
Here in Europe, Subaru specify a higher tire pressure in the rear tires when towing. Normal tire pressure should be 2.1 bar/30 psi, but for towing Subaru say 2.8 bar/40 psi. In my experience this makes towing with the Forester much better. I didn't bother increasing the tire pressure when towing my empty trailer once and the car was noticeably more twitchy on the road.

I know that European Foresters can tow more than US Foresters, but I think increasing the tire pressure would make towing better even in the US. I have a twin axle trailer and towed a caravan on our vacation last summer. With the increased tire pressure, the car performs nicely when towing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts