Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2018 XT CVT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be crazy, but I’m on my 2nd 2019 Forester (long story) and it’s doing something I don’t recall the 1st one doing. When you coast or apply the brakes, but don’t come to a complete stop, and then press on the accelerator again there is a pronounced feeling of the torque converter locking (or unlocking, not sure) as well as a slight reduction in the rpms for a second or two. Ive noticed it most at speeds between 15-30 mph. I believe the torque converter unlocks below ~15 so if you press the accelerator while going below 15 you don’t feel it lock. If you press the accelerator while going between ~15-30 mph there is a really rough feeling when the TC locks. Is this something to be worried about or is this normal? I’m worried it will prematurely kill the $8,000 CVT.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
11 Posts
I have something similar. 19 Touring.

when coasting or braking and I hit 15mph, the car bucks or lurches. It feels like there‘s no longer any engine braking or resistance and the car jumps forward. It’s consistent and reproducible.

I have an appointment on Tuesday. Hoping to know more then.

·
Registered
2018 XT CVT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think all ‘19 Foresters do that. It’s the Torque Converter unlocking, so you lose the engine braking effect. This was a big problem in the 14-18 but they fixed it with a software update. I suspect a software update will come soon for the ‘19 as well.

What I’m talking about is when you’re going between 15-35 MPH and lightly press the accelerator you can feel the Torque Converter doing something. I don’t remember being able to feel it with my previous ‘19.

I was torn between getting another Forester or one of the last ‘19 Outbacks and I really regret going with the Forester.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,284 Posts
I was torn between getting another Forester or one of the last ‘19 Outbacks and I really regret going with the Forester.
Hindsight is always 20-20 but it's usually better, from a reliability standpoint, to go with the final year of a generation run (2019 Outback) than the first year of generation run (2019 Forester).

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
830 Posts
Hindsight is always 20-20 but it's usually better, from a reliability standpoint, to go with the final year of a generation run (2019 Outback) than the first year of generation run (2019 Forester).
That definitely was the case in years passed.

However, I’m not convinced that applies nearly so much today, as each model year vehicle always seems to have modifications and upgrades, in both mechanics and amenities (software and electronic “improvements”).

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am experiencing a stuttery slipping feeling from mine intermittently when accelerating in various situations. Mine is in the shop today, but of course they couldn't replicate this. It feels like something is slipping, like the transmission can't quite keep up with the increase in revs. Maybe this is different from your issue....? They will drive it more tomorrow, but I feel I will have to drive one of their techs around myself to show them exactly what is going on.....ugh!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have something similar. 19 Touring.

when coasting or braking and I hit 15mph, the car bucks or lurches. It feels like there‘s no longer any engine braking or resistance and the car jumps forward. It’s consistent and reproducible.

I have an appointment on Tuesday. Hoping to know more then.
Did you learn anything from your appointment?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts