Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2019 Subaru Forester with the Nav unit. I like to use the center instrument cluster to show my actual digital speed I'm driving. But since this vehicle has Nav it also shows the road speed limit powered by the TomTom Nav system. Most of the speed limits in my area are wrong! I've even seen it display limits of 98, 108, 112, and 121 MPH. I can't stand seeing this incorrect data displayed any longer inside the digital instrument cluster. I want Subaru to allow me to turn this speed limit display data off! I only want to see the digital speed I'm currently driving and not the accompanied incorrect speed limit data. How do I go about contacting Subaru to complain about this?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2019 Touring CVT
291 Posts
Units

@PearlWhite. Is it possible that the speed units in your vehicle were in actually in KPH. It is a vehicle setting

In the infotainment unit:
Home, settings, units Setting. Make sure to change to MPH.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope, My vehicle is in MPH. I've driven up and down the east coast and have seen crazy speed limits on the TomTom factory Subaru Nav system from time to time. Also all the streets near my house have the wrong speed limits 25MPH vrs correct 35MPH etc. Submitted changes months ago to TomTom but all still pending. I've updated to the most recent maps from Subaru Map Update Delivery Portal but that was no help (Rel_4.18.20.50 to Rel_U1.18.38.50) (2017.03 6_6787.28/12545/272294/16226) posted 4/14/2019. There are even roads missing on the car Nav that show up on the TomTom web site. How is that possible? Maybe these really are 2017 maps since the missing bridge was built 2 years ago in Fort Hamer, FL. Attached pics of car nav vs TomTom website with and without the bridge. Bridge location 27°31'11.9"N 82°25'43.1"W

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Touring CVT
291 Posts
I am stumped. You do have the latest software, but oddly most of us do and don’t have the wacky speed limits that you are getting. Good luck.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The incorrect speed limits are consistent and I'm sure they're a TomTom/Subaru database error issue. Wish Subaru would have gone with something other than TomTom. So for now I mostly use Android auto with Google maps as it's far superior. If only I could get the speed limits off my instrument cluster...... Wish I didn't even have Nav but the touring comes with it standard.

·
Registered
2019 Forester CVT
2 Posts
Greetings,

Have you been able to get any resolution to this issue? We just got the same pearl white 2019 Forester Touring in June and have had the same problem with the nav system.

Thanks for any additional info you might provide.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,839 Posts
It's eerie how accurate the Nav is on my wife's 2016. I see the number change on the screen, and I see the new sign, both at the same time.

Different manufacturer? Different maps?

·
Registered
2019 Forester CVT
2 Posts
My 2018 Outback has the TomTom system and it is pretty spot on also. The maps on the 19 Forester are a different update than what is on the OB. Have seen several reports of issues with the 2019 models to include Ascent, CrossTrek, Forester and Outback. As an Ambassador for Subie it is a bit discouraging that it has not yet been corrected.

·
Registered
2019 Forester touring Cvt
11 Posts
The Tom Tom is whacked out about a lot of things.

it sometimes displays the home icon and how long to get home sometimes it doesn’t.

speed limit off as well.
Maybe future software will fix it.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
794 Posts
A state route in my town has been posted at 35 mph for at least 60 years. TomTom says 25 mph. Updates aren’t fixing it. They work from a unique and flawed database.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The Tom Tom system in my '19 is awful. Bad speed limits, calling Interstates by their names (i.e. Blue Star Hiway) instead of route number, not intuitive, too many button pushes, etc. My 10 year old Garmin that is suction cupped to my Tacoma windshield is much better both tech wise, and map integrity

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a 2019 Subaru Forester with the Nav unit. I like to use the center instrument cluster to show my actual digital speed I'm driving. But since this vehicle has Nav it also shows the road speed limit powered by the TomTom Nav system. Most of the speed limits in my area are wrong! I've even seen it display limits of 98, 108, 112, and 121 MPH. I can't stand seeing this incorrect data displayed any longer inside the digital instrument cluster. I want Subaru to allow me to turn this speed limit display data off! I only want to see the digital speed I'm currently driving and not the accompanied incorrect speed limit data. How do I go about contacting Subaru to complain about this?

Thanks,
It is the same with me. I have purchased the new Forester in September 2019 in Toronto, Canada. My speed limits are also wrong. The Navigation system shows me 60 km/h , but street limit is 50 km/h.
I downloaded the updates and installed them, but it is still the same.
What should I do? I paid extra and should be able to use the navigation system and trust it.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
1,987 Posts
The TOM TOM system is a separate system and NOT a Subaru product. It would be supported by the makers of the Tom Tom GPS system. Try going to them with the issues.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@FozzieBalou The issue I have is this. It's Subaru who decided to display the TomTom speed limit inside the center instrument cluster beside the digital meter. I want the ability to remove the incorrect TomTom speed limit display from my instrument cluster. Period. It's there 24/7 even when not using TomTom GPS.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
1,987 Posts
Hi @PearlWhite - sure, I get that. But Subaru is not who manufactures or maintains that map database - TomTom does. Even if Subaru uses the TomTom database to provide the reading on your display, it's still not Subaru responsible for the database... It's kind of like when Pandora or Sirius or even just good, old HD Radio is putting out the details on a song - the title may be wrong or the artist's name spelled badly or whatever... Who is it that you contact? Subaru? nope. You contact the content provider.

Sure, you can contact Subaru and tell them you have an issue with _ and want it fixed. But it may take many of "you" (not you specifically but others experiencing the same issue) contacting Subaru and getting them to take action. Subaru pushes that information from the TomTom database to your instrument panel. BTW, if I remember correctly, those mini-panels in the center of the gauge cluster can be set to different displays. So why not just change the setting to a different display...?

With the way that so many municipalities swap out speed limits along a stretch of road, the information TomTom has may be only as valid as the information originally provided to them by whatever source they use; and then that data is only as good as it is when given to them and so on. There's an old saw in IT - GIGO - means Garbage in, garbage out. In other words, don't expect a good result from crap data.

Where I live, there are many long straight stretches of road that go through multiple cities and municipalities. In Smithtown, it's 35 MPH, Georgetown is 30 MPH, Robertsville is 40 MPH, oh but then Robertsville just upped it to 45... And the only way you'll know is by looking at the sign on the side of the road every so often.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts