Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
That’s common for OEM tires. I learned from my last Honda dealer that stock tires are softer compounds, supposedly to enhance the ride during test drives. I learned that when I wondered why replacement Bridgestone tires from the dealer had no mileage warranty (and were cheaper) whereas the same tire from the Bridgestone dealer had a warranty (and were more expensive).

I replaced my Falken Ziex after about 15k. Admittedly it was premature and I might have gotten 18k, but I wanted to go ahead and get the Falken trail tires, which I’m very happy with. Check my other post about them for pictures.
Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 2019 has 18,856 on the OEM tires and they are showing big time wear. I expect i'll have to replace them before next winter as they are completely dreadful in the snow.

·
Registered
2001 Forester L Automatic
200 Posts
Yes they were
Hmmm, interesting indeed. So hard to say at this point, but did see one thing that someone pointed out about OEM tires not being the same as what you pick up at the tire shops. That I am not familiar with since I have only had one new car and so far have 50K+ plus on the factory tires, but the winter tires cover about 4 months out of the year.

But this is the perfect time to get the tires you want. It always seems to be a hard choice... Long life vs. good performance. I have always leaned towards good performance on most of my vehicles and usually expect to change tires out every few years.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
749 Posts
Long life vs. good performance.
From a safety viewpoint, tires with more performance will provide better braking/swerving ability. Consider the cost of replacing the tires a bit earlier, with the cost of a collision. The collision could cost you money, cause your car to be written off, injure or kill, or leave someone or the car in a functioning state, but "not the same as before." Also safety related is that with better tires, you may be less likely to get stuck.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
749 Posts
22,000 mi is about 35,000 km. Looking at my records, it looks like I drive 18,000 km per year. My tires generally last about 3-4 seasons, but it looks like I have the winter tires on about 8 months of the year (I'm just looking at archived data of temperatures by month for Vancouver, and I change the tires at 7 C). One third of the year on the all seasons is about 6,000 km per year, so I'd expect 18,000-24,000 km out of the all seasons. I replace the all seasons when I get to the wear bars, and I replace the winter tires when I get to the snow wear bars (these are taller than the other wear bars, so replacement is earlier). I choose the tires that Tire Rack says provide the best wet/ice/snow traction, which probably come with shorter useful life.

If tires get harder in cold temperatures (necessitating winter tires), I guess if you were in a hot climate, your tires might wear faster. Okay I looked it up. Tires do wear faster in hot weather.

From what I can tell without going into the garage, the Dueler that came on the 2018 has a UTQG of 300AA. So the tread should last 3x as long as the control tire. There is extrapolation about the expected tire life but here's one explanation:

24,000 km seems really low now that I think of it, but knowing that the tires that come on the car are cheapies, I'd expect the replacement tires to last longer. Maybe I'm off a bit and the winter tires are on only 6-7 months per year. I don't think I've purchased more than one set of all-season or winter tire replacements for the same car. I had my 2007 Forester for 11 years, and I think I purchased two sets of winters, and maybe one set of all seasons. I traded that car in at about 160,000 km.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,512 Posts
When I decided to upgrade my factory tires to A/T's at 51k miles, my factory Yokohama's still had 5/32 tread remaining. One reason might be is because I checked/adjusted tire pressure almost weekly.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium 6MT
156 Posts
I don't check/adjust tire pressure almost weekly, but I try to at least once a month, especially in the winter months. My original Yokohamas on my '16 Premium has almost 46000 miles on them and they still have 6/32" of even tread on all 4 tires. My car is garaged whenever I am not out driving it.

I also rotate my tires every 6 to 8000 miles. I don't rotate them front to back and back to front. I criss cross the front tires to the back. I move the back tires straight to the front. Therefore each tire gets equal time at all 4 corners.

Tire pressure is 37 front and 31 rear.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
What did you end up with?
Same tires just not OEM’s
If it's wear on the inside, then this sounds like an alignment issue. You may have hit a big pothole or something.

I see that you've already bought new tires but I highly recommend you get an alignment done. You don't want to eat up your new tires as well.
plan on it deliver will comp me on the alignment

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i CVT
8 Posts
My first two Subarus (Imprezas), came with Bridgestone RE92's. The tread life was fine at 20-thousand miles. But cracks were forming on the sidewalls. My third Subaru, a 2016 Forester, came with Yokohama Geolanders. Not a bad OEM tire but they were a bit puncture-prone. I replaced them the General Altimax RT43s, which have worked out wonderfully.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Touring CVT
10 Posts
My 2017 Forester has 22K on Bridgestone. Regular rotation and tire tread still good.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Premium
19 Posts
I have a 2020 with 25k miles and the tires are ok also did only 1 rotation

·
Registered
19 Posts
That’s not great, but after buying my first new vehicle once upon a time, I’ve haven’t had a vehicle that made it to a standard 3/36k warranty with the tires, with the exception of our 2017 Forester that is just limping by at over 40k miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Guys,
As an "Aussie" owner of a 2019 Subaru Forester 2.5I-s (this is the premium model in Australia) I am amazed at what appears to be an almost complete mistrust of Subaru dealerships. Fortunately we generally do not have this problem probably, probably due to a smaller population, geographical size?. We have found it not too difficult to obtain honest responses on any issues that arise. Fortunately we do have consumer laws with real teeth which people can turn to should a dealer "try it on". As to the expected longevity of MV tires, 50,000 klms is considered a not unreasonable expectation provided the tires are rotated every 10,000klm's. There are a number of other issues that I could comment upon such as some of the shonky servicing that you see on U Tube clips that mostly appear to be in Canada. Getting back to tires, our last set fitted to our previous car (Hyundai Santa Fe) were changed over at 55,000k. Driving sensibly obviously has a big effect on what you should expect.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited CVT
50 Posts
My '19 Forester has 36K miles, it's exactly 2 years old, tires rotated regularly, and the treads on the original Falkens were looking quite worn. My mechanic said they will need to be replaced in maybe 5K miles. 2 yrs/36K miles seems kinda short to need new tires. In any case it's been crazy snowy in upstate NY so I decided to get new tires now. I chose Cooper Discover Enduramax, they are all season with a 3 Peak snow rating. OMG what a HUGE difference! I feel SO much safer with these Coopers.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts