Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With less than 22,000 miles on my 2019 Forester I need to replace all my Bridgestone tires. The Bridgestone tires on the car are not covered under warranty.
Has anyone else experienced this? Very disappointing and expensive.

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
505 Posts
That's pretty odd. Did you in fact saw the worn out tires or was this just told to you by your dealer?
Cause maybe you had an alignment issue but dealers being very "honest" people they would "recommend" you buy a new set of tires from them. Right?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Base CVT
288 Posts
The Ecopia 422 tires on our '19 Forester (base) were wearing quickly and unevenly after just 18,000 miles. In Oct 2020, I was out of town when the annual state inspection was due and I took it to the Subaru dealer there. They passed me but said I was right on the line of failing, and they would sell me a set of tires and alignment for about $1,000. HA! I told them I did not have that much cash with me at the time.

The next week, I took it in to the Subaru dealer in my hometown where I bought it. They have always been very helpful and honest. After politely explaining my frustration that the set of tires only lasted 18,000 very conservatively-driven miles, they agreed and told me they had many complaints about the OEM tires. They set me up with Subaru HQ to get a new set of tires for free (my choice of any they carry) and free 4-wheel alignment. Subaru HQ called me back in an hour and it was approved. I asked for a set of General AltiMax RT43 tires, since I have had those on several of my cars in the past 15 years with good luck.

A week later, they put on the new tires and did the 4-wheel alignment. My cost = $0.00. When we had a couple of 5-6 inch snows, the Subaru handled it with no sweat.

Politely, but firmly press the issue with the service manager. Subaru does not want to lose a future customer over a set of tires.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,486 Posts
Did you rotate? Not implying that the tires/vehicle are not a problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's pretty odd. Did you in fact saw the worn out tires or was this just told to you by your dealer?
Cause maybe you had an alignment issue but dealers being very "honest" people they would "recommend" you buy a new set of tires from them. Right?
Yes I saw the worn tires. I also called Bridgestone and the Bridgestone dealer confirmed I am waiting to hear back from dealer regarding prorating from Bridgestone as warranty service was closed on Saturday. The Bridgestone dealer however did tell me that the tires that dealers receive usually are not covered under warranty even showed me the computer screen showing that. Definitely not hopeful.

·
Registered
2006 WRX WAGON
24 Posts
what was the wear? worn on one side or just even wear across all the tires? while 22K is low, I think it's in the window of replacement.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought my wife a 2020 Forester Sport in January 2020.
It has the Falken Zeix Tires, but no noticeable wear yet.
The dealer has performed two 6 month services, including tire rotation, free of charge.
As of today, the total mileage is still only 1,157 miles due to low usage in the COVID times.

I have seen several posts here of the factory tires not lasting very long, but others have had good wear.
Whatever is the case with my tires, our Forester still seems to be very well made for the cost.
I have had other cars that had less than desirable factory tires, and others were quite good.
Either way, I won't let it change how I judge the car.
Right or wrong, it is what it is remains true for new car tires.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Base CVT
288 Posts
@steve_k I had mine rotated at 6K miles, 13K (after a long trip), and was going to get it at 18K before the tire issue. I also use the dash indicator to check tire pressures almost weekly, and immediately correct if not 32/33 psi cold.

The dealer installed the new tires at 19K miles, so I will probably rotate at about 25K.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a 16 Trek. My stock Geolanders lasted 50k, rotating every 6. Also keep them at 36psi. I recently changed them with a set of Nokian, for under $500.00 from my private mechanic shop. Very good ride. The only time that I ever experienced premature tire wear, was on my 04 Mazda 3. Oddly enough, they were also Bridgestone. They wore out perfectly straight at 19k, rotating every 6k. My tire dealer told me, that most manufacturers put very soft, sticky performance tires on most new vehicles. I’ve never had that experience since, and have always made sure to inflate and check pressure often, as well as rotate every 6 k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
731 Posts
The stock Falken's on my '19 Sport were wearing fine but replaced than at 10K miles as I was tired of them acting like surfboards in the rain

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
935 Posts
I got the Falkens with my 19, but also had paperwork for three different tire brands: Bridgestone, Falken and I forget. My assumption was it could have been any of the three on my car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
snshevlin
That’s common for OEM tires. I learned from my last Honda dealer that stock tires are softer compounds, supposedly to enhance the ride during test drives. I learned that when I wondered why replacement Bridgestone tires from the dealer had no mileage warranty (and were cheaper) whereas the same tire from the Bridgestone dealer had a warranty (and were more expensive).

I replaced my Falken Ziex after about 15k. Admittedly it was premature and I might have gotten 18k, but I wanted to go ahead and get the Falken trail tires, which I’m very happy with. Check my other post about them for pictures.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Replaced the OEM Falkens on my '19 at 16K miles. Tires had 5/32 tread. Junked them because it snows where I live and the OEMs were awful in the snow, but 5/32 at 16k shows poor tread life

·
Registered
2019 SPORT
105 Posts
my 2019 sport has 'FAKENS'
the ones that the tread pattern looks like the donut spare - very basic
and are OK? with 25k and 3/4 worn out
and probably very soft compound but the tread depth on this tire new is about 9/32 (most new tires are 11 or 12/32 new) so that doesn't help
I also saw that one oem type of tires on the rav4 were 7/32 new, so the factories go cheap and go for the tires for best mpg

but I will go for the wildpeaks

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
749 Posts
replacement Bridgestone tires from the dealer had no mileage warranty (and were cheaper) whereas the same tire from the Bridgestone dealer had a warranty (and were more expensive)
Tires from the dealership are cheap versions of the real tire. Watch the video above.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts