Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without doing lifting, what are the maximum off-road style tire/wheel sizes that can be fitted in 2019 Forester Sport? I want to keep the stock 18” black wheel but I’m open to getting 17” size (probably STI black wheel) if helps the tire selection.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
KO2 is my first choice as well. Its 225/65R-17 would result 28.5" overall diameter (2.9% increase) compared to 27.7" stock steup, which I think should be fine. KO2 has very good balance between on, off, dry, wet and even in snow with three-peak snowflake rating. I'm planning to use stock wheel/tire for most daily driving in Northern California where I live, and swap to KO2 during occasional summer light off-road camping excursion and winter ski trip to Tahoe area.

KO2 has very good online review on winter/snow driving condition. Does anyone here has real snow driving experience using KO2?

·
Registered
2018 Touring CVT
173 Posts
This is my second season with KO2 on my Jeep. It is more than capable tire for snow, they can take a lot more abuse than normal P rated tires but I don't run them on my Forester. For what you are describing swapping them out should work fine. Running them all the time wouldn't be an option for me as I like my gas mileage too much :).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks both for very helpful replies. Despite of all the latest tire technologies, we all know that it’s simply impossible to find one tire that can do ALL (dry, wet, off-road, snow, ice, ride quality, noise, gas mileage and etc…). So that’s why I’m planning to keep the stock Falken Ziex ZE001 tires with stock 18” wheel for most daily driving in Northern California on my 2019 Forester Sport, and order 225/65-R17 tire/wheel setup with K02 that can be swapped in my garage for occasional light off roading and winter ski trip. I thought about lifting the car, but then the stock 18” tire/wheel will look awkward so I’ll keep the stock suspension.

Now I have to decide on the 17” wheel…. I really like the STI black wheel but too expensive to be used as part-time use. I’ll do more searching on the TireRack. If anyone has good advise on 17x7~8 black wheel, that will be great.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Without doing lifting, what are the maximum off-road style tire/wheel sizes that can be fitted in 2019 Forester Sport? I want to keep the stock 18” black wheel but I’m open to getting 17” size (probably STI black wheel) if helps the tire selection.
Not exactly the same but here is one for comparison. Pictures aren't great as it's been raining in Alabama lately, but here is a 2019 Premium with Konig Backbone Wheels 17x7.5 with 45mm offset and 235/65R17 (29.1") Hankook Dynapros on it. No lift yet. I get just the slightest bit of rubbing on the inner front fender liner at full lock in reverse (See Pic) and I have plenty of clearance at the spring perch. No rubbing any other time. So I would say they fit and I think this is the way it should look from the factory:) Next will likely be the ADF 1.5" lift with sub frame spacers.
2019 Rubing.jpg

2019 Spring Clearance.jpg

2019 Forester 1.JPG

2019 Forester 2.jpg

2019 Forester 3.jpg

·
Premium Member
2018 Forester XT Touring CVT
1,010 Posts
^That setup looks sweet! I have the same size Hankook Dynapro ATM tires on my 18 XT and love them. This is actually my 4th set, since I started running them on my previous 14 XT. Unless you are regularly doing offroading on rougher rocky trails I think the Dynapro is a much better choice for Foresters than the K02.

Yeah K02's look more burly and everybody runs them, but they are heavy, more expensive, and way overkill for most Forester owners needs, especially if you don't have the turbo engine. You'll be sacrificing performance, comfort, and probably a little gas mileage running them. The Hankook have good offroad performance, but are lighter and going to be more well mannered on pavement. You can get the Hankook in one size bigger than the K02s and they are still quite a bit lighter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
('19+) 2019 Forester Sport tire upgrade without lifting

^That setup looks sweet! I have the same size Hankook Dynapro ATM tires on my 18 XT and love them. This is actually my 4th set, since I started running them on my previous 14 XT. Unless you are regularly doing offroading on rougher rocky trails I think the Dynapro is a much better choice for Foresters than the K02.

Yeah K02's look more burly and everybody runs them, but they are heavy, more expensive, and way overkill for most Forester owners needs, especially if you don't have the turbo engine. You'll be sacrificing performance, comfort, and probably a little gas mileage running them. The Hankook have good offroad performance, but are lighter and going to be more well mannered on pavement. You can get the Hankook in one size bigger than the K02s and they are still quite a bit lighter.
SuBooner, Agreed on all accounts. The reason I chose the Konig Backbone was weight. They are 18 lbs each and that was as light as I could find in the $125 ea. price range. Weight was also a main factor in tire choice. I was looking at the Geolander and the Dynapro, both weighing 32/33 lbs (depending on which site you were looking at) and the KO2s were about 40 lbs each and $55 more each as well. I have put about a 1000 miles on the Dynapros and love them. Couldn't be happier with them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
@CLeathers73 since you have a Premium, the brakes should be smaller right so you can get away with the 15"?
I believe that the rotors/calipers are the same on the Premium and up trim lines on the 2019. I looked for a definitive answer on going to a 15" or 16" inch wheel on the 2019s and most of what I read stated that none of the wheel manufactures where guaranteeing that anything less than a 17' wheel would fit. I can say that the 17" wheels I bought do not have a ton of space between the caliper and the wheel for what it's worth.

·
Registered
2018 forester manual
68 Posts
I have the cooper at3 4s on my 18 and they so far are super quiet , work amazing in the snow and ice and are a good deal lighter then the ko2

·
Registered
331 Posts
Sport and above have 12.4'' front rotors
Below that 11.6'' front rotors.

It's right on the comparison page, there's 2 lines that say 4-wheel disc brakes, click on the ? mark and there it is.

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sport and above have 12.4'' front rotors
Below that 11.6'' front rotors.

It's right on the comparison page, there's 2 lines that say 4-wheel disc brakes, click on the ? mark and there it is.
That's what Subaru marketing is saying. However, the actual rotors are different from what's stated on subaru.com. The Premium has the larger front rotors. Also, the base and Premium have ventilated rear rotors. At least that is how my Premium was delivered. I also checked the rear brakes of a base on the dealer's showroom floor.

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have the cooper at3 4s on my 18 and they so far are super quiet , work amazing in the snow and ice and are a good deal lighter then the ko2
When my order arrives, I'll be on a set of these Discoverer tires and hoping for the best. They weren't my first pick, but the KO2 was definitely my last choice when I was shopping.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
5 Posts
Not exactly the same but here is one for comparison. Pictures aren't great as it's been raining in Alabama lately, but here is a 2019 Premium with Konig Backbone Wheels 17x7.5 with 45mm offset and 235/65R17 (29.1") Hankook Dynapros on it. No lift yet. I get just the slightest bit of rubbing on the inner front fender liner at full lock in reverse (See Pic) and I have plenty of clearance at the spring perch. No rubbing any other time. So I would say they fit and I think this is the way it should look from the factory:) Next will likely be the ADF 1.5" lift with sub frame spacers.
View attachment 507145

View attachment 507147

View attachment 507149

View attachment 507151

View attachment 507153
This looks great! No rubbing in the rear anywhere?

·
Registered
331 Posts
That's what Subaru marketing is saying. However, the actual rotors are different from what's stated on subaru.com. The Premium has the larger front rotors. Also, the base and Premium have ventilated rear rotors. At least that is how my Premium was delivered. I also checked the rear brakes of a base on the dealer's showroom floor.
Interesting- good to know. Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
('19+) 2019 Forester Sport tire upgrade without lifting

This looks great! No rubbing in the rear anywhere?
asdff,

No. I have not flexed it out completely, but I have notice no rubbing at all in the rear. Even when it was off the ground when DT was test fitting everything and the rear was at full droop, I still had about an half inch to an inch between the tire and the front of the fender liner.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm new to the forum and to the brand. I just bought this 2019 Forester and my wife wants me to have a more all-terrain look. I really liked the idea of ​​increasing the size of the tire to 235/65R17 with the Cooper AT3 4S, how did it affect gasoline consumption? @CLeathers73 can you sen me more pictures by Whatsapp? tks!
+56949912455 (Chile)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts