Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 with 11,000 miles. I previously had a 2010 legacy in which I ran with a mismatched tire. The transmission needed to be replaced about 10,000 miles later. I blew a tire last weekend 0n the Forester and could not get identical replacement. The original tires are Firestone, the replacement is a Goodyear. Treadware is w/in 2/32. I went in to Subaru Dealer and they said I can run with mismatched tire. Manual says tires have to be identical. Because of my experience with the legacy I am very leery of running w mismatched tires but I have it in writing that I can run w the mismatched tire. There still is 4 yrs or 40,000 miles on Warranty so should I just let be or spend the $250 for a matched tire.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I would tend to go with what the manual says but if you have another Subaru dealer in your area get a second opinion.

Questions. Did your 2019 Forester come with Firestone tires? What caused the blowout? $250 for ONE tire?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes; and really was an unrepairable flat. I did check with SubaruUSA and their response was that if the service man says it is okay, it is. Again, have that in writing. Hard to justify spending another $250 but maybe smart thing to do. Thanks.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I’m pretty sure I read a TSB on Subarus’s OEMDTC page about this.
Brand is preferable but does not matter as much as overall tire circumference. Need to shave new tire to match the remaining within a few 32’s (actual depth deviation escapes me).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m pretty sure I read a TSB on Subarus’s OEMDTC page about this.
Brand is preferable but does not matter as much as overall tire circumference. Need to shave new tire to match the remaining within a few 32’s (actual depth deviation escapes me).
I did measure the circumference by painting a stripe on the two rear tires and driving the car on my driveway. Circumference is virtually identical. I dont really care if the tires wear differently. I can watch that. The general feeling is to leave it as is and just watch it. Thanks to all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts