Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 with 11,000 miles. I previously had a 2010 legacy in which I ran with a mismatched tire. The transmission needed to be replaced about 10,000 miles later. I blew a tire last weekend 0n the Forester and could not get identical replacement. The original tires are Firestone, the replacement is a Goodyear. Treadware is w/in 2/32. I went in to Subaru Dealer and they said I can run with mismatched tire. Manual says tires have to be identical. Because of my experience with the legacy I am very leery of running w mismatched tires but I have it in writing that I can run w the mismatched tire. There still is 4 yrs or 40,000 miles on Warranty so should I just let be or spend the $250 for a matched tire.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I would tend to go with what the manual says but if you have another Subaru dealer in your area get a second opinion.

Questions. Did your 2019 Forester come with Firestone tires? What caused the blowout? $250 for ONE tire?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes; and really was an unrepairable flat. I did check with SubaruUSA and their response was that if the service man says it is okay, it is. Again, have that in writing. Hard to justify spending another $250 but maybe smart thing to do. Thanks.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I’m pretty sure I read a TSB on Subarus’s OEMDTC page about this.
Brand is preferable but does not matter as much as overall tire circumference. Need to shave new tire to match the remaining within a few 32’s (actual depth deviation escapes me).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m pretty sure I read a TSB on Subarus’s OEMDTC page about this.
Brand is preferable but does not matter as much as overall tire circumference. Need to shave new tire to match the remaining within a few 32’s (actual depth deviation escapes me).
I did measure the circumference by painting a stripe on the two rear tires and driving the car on my driveway. Circumference is virtually identical. I dont really care if the tires wear differently. I can watch that. The general feeling is to leave it as is and just watch it. Thanks to all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
javilensky
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing