Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First hey everybody. 2019 Sport, Im new to the forum and new to Subaru. Coming from a Mk6 GTI and something about this subaru reminds me of the feeling I had when first driving my MK6.

I love everything else about the vehicle except the tires. I know this is mentioned a lot but these little dinky tires just dont look like they fit the vehicle at all. In fact they are litterally meant for a car. They seem to perform ok but most compact SUVs are running 235s minimum. Hell I even had 255s on my GTI. Luckily Subaru left a lot of room around the tire for some upgrades and Im thinking it could support max of 255/55/r18 even without a lift but I think 245/55r18 is a safe bet without any mods. I can fit my hand between the strut and tire any any other part of the wheel well. 245s add at most 1/2" around each side and top/bottom of the stock setup and it feels like more than an inch clearance all around.

Ill spend most of my time on the road so itd be nice to keep decent gas mileage and a decently smooth ride. The all terrains like the K02 look amazing for when I hit the park or beach but too much sacrifice in the day to day driving with the added weight. When going off road Ill stick to gravel, beach sand, dirt roads, grass but I wont be doing anything crazy.

Im leaning towards COOPER ZEON RS3-G1 245 /55 R18 or possibly GENERAL ALTIMAX RT43 245 /55 R18 (cheaper option)

Yeah I know the cooper is litterally a car tire too but it seems to be an upgrade in performace over stock, better traction, little more tread, wider stance, 1/2" lift and not to mention it should look a little better and make this forester look like a proper SUV when sitting next to other compacts (Rav4 Adventure for example). It is 3lbs heavier but there are a lot of people here running K02s 9-10 lbs heavier so 3lbs doesnt seem like much anymore. I would have to keep in mind the spedometer is off and when i think im going 70 im actually going 72 but I think its worth it.

Sorry for the long rant and brain dump. Basically the whole point of this post is to get my thoughts out and see if anyone has anythig to add to this plan such as different size or different tire or just to tell me this is a horrible idea and wont work lol. IDK any thoughts? Its odd I dont see anyone mention this tire size at all on here. Maybe its the small selection? Maybe its been tried and is terrible? It just seems like a good balance of performance vs comfort. I guess Ill find out.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
66 Posts
255/55r18 will not work on stock suspension and will still rub even with a 2” lift. I’ve talked to people who run 245s with 2” lift and they have minor rub at full turn. So, I doubt you can run that on stock suspension.

The “go to” size on stock suspension and even with 2” lifts for a tire with absolutely no rubbing/touching appears to be downsizing to 17” wheels and running 225/65r17

I’m currently thinking about trying a 2”/2.5” lift with 235/60r18 Yokohama G015. It’s the same diameter as a 255/55r18 but almost an inch narrower.

If you’re not wanting to lift the forester you could run the stock size in the Yokohama G015. It’s an a/t that’s not too aggressive or heavy and gets great reviews on the Subaru forums, and they have a 60k mile warranty.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey that 235/60r18 looks pretty sick. My only worry is the speedo being 3.5 mph off at 70mph lol. Do you know anyone running this setup? Id love to see some pics. The yokahoma looks perfect. Not too crazy aggressive. 235 is still kinda narrow honestly isn't it? I'd prefer not to get a lift but I wonder if you would need it with a 29.2" tire. Almost anything would be an improvement over the stock POS tires.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
66 Posts
I havent seen or heard of anyone with a 19 Forester Sport running that size, but hopefully, someone will test them out soon. Here are a few pics of 235/60r18 G015 on a stock Outback that I found on the outback forums ( This is not my vehicle or my pics).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you. The Geolanders seem to be an incredibly nice tire for someone that spends most their time on the street with the occasional off road adventure. Im thinking I may very soon pull the trigger on this exact setup. Worst case scenario I need a 5mm spacer or something. The only thing holding me back right now is trying to convince the wife to do math with the speedo error lol. I actually just saw a tacoma running geolanders and they look much better in person than they do on this outback.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bevans555 What do you think about the hankook dynapro AT-2? This seems to also be an AT tire that is quiet, smooth riding on the road and more for the occasional off roading. Based on tirerack specs its slightly wider and a little cheaper. Must be brand new so not many reviews.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
114 Posts
Coming from a guy that destroyed two OEM tires on a fire road because of rocks and possibly not airing down, an AT would be a good choice. I would like to get more sidewall and have been leaning toward some 17's from my 18's. I don't like the speedo error either and wish Subaru gave us the ability to reprogram the car for different size tires as I think it would make everything work better.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I just pulled the trigger on some 235/60r18 hankook AT2's. Should come in Monday. I got some 5mm wheel spacers just in case they rub a bit but hopefully not. These are wider than the geolanders so I was a bit worried. I'll post some pics of this setup and let you know how it works. If these fit then the geolanders should definitely fit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well I just pulled the trigger on some 235/60r18 hankook AT2's. Should come in Monday. I got some 5mm wheel spacers just in case they rub a bit but hopefully not. These are wider than the geolanders so I was a bit worried. I'll post some pics of this setup and let you know how it works. If these fit then the geolanders should definitely fit.
Let us know how it turns out. Can you post some photos? Are you using the new tires on the original wheels?

I'm a total newbie, who hasn't bought my Forester yet. But I have been lusting for a 19 Sport and was wondering about a tire change on it as well, using the stock wheels and suspension.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
66 Posts
@jrharvey i think the at2’s look great but have no personal expert with them. Some member just put them in his forester and created a thread with pics, I think @Armanius did it. Anyway, the thread says they haven’t experienced any rubbing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve talked to people who run 245s with 2” lift and they have minor rub at full turn. So, I doubt you can run that on stock suspension.
Where does it rub, front during turn in? What width and offset rim was being used? It doesn’t look like it would have a problem clearing the struts up front?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts