Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

We have a 2019 Forester which is under 3 years old but has about 90,000 KMs (we're in Canada). This means it is outside of the new vehicle warranty, but still within the 5 yr/100K major component coverage which covers the engine, transmission, etc. The check engine light came on over the weekend and we took it to our local Subaru dealer and they decided it was a bad battery that had to be replaced ($$$). When picking the vehicle up, the light was on and they told us it was a ghost code and cleared it. 15 minutes after leaving their lot, the light came on again and this time they traced it back to the thermo control valve assembly and told us it needs to be replaced and will cost around $1500. They told us this is not covered under warranty as we're over 50K KMs.

I'm just wondering if anyone has some insight as to whether this would be covered under the major component warranty or not? If it should be covered, how can I convince the dealership? Should I skip them and go directly to Subaru Canada? We've had poor service from the dealership lately but we don't have many local options. I believe this issue directly impacts the engine, so I assume it would be covered, but please correct me if I'm wrong!

Thanks all!

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring EyeSight
527 Posts
Hi folks,

We have a 2019 Forester which is under 3 years old but has about 90,000 KMs (we're in Canada). This means it is outside of the new vehicle warranty, but still within the 5 yr/100K major component coverage which covers the engine, transmission, etc. The check engine light came on over the weekend and we took it to our local Subaru dealer and they decided it was a bad battery that had to be replaced ($$$). When picking the vehicle up, the light was on and they told us it was a ghost code and cleared it. 15 minutes after leaving their lot, the light came on again and this time they traced it back to the thermo control valve assembly and told us it needs to be replaced and will cost around $1500. They told us this is not covered under warranty as we're over 50K KMs.

I'm just wondering if anyone has some insight as to whether this would be covered under the major component warranty or not? If it should be covered, how can I convince the dealership? Should I skip them and go directly to Subaru Canada? We've had poor service from the dealership lately but we don't have many local options. I believe this issue directly impacts the engine, so I assume it would be covered, but please correct me if I'm wrong!

Thanks all!
sounds like you need to have a detailed discussion with them about page 10: https://m.subaru.ca/content/7907/Media/General/webimage/whybuy/Subaru_Warranty_Booklet_EN.pdf They are being pretty chintzy if they say that the TCV isn't an "internal engine part".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
sounds like you need to have a detailed discussion with them about page 10: https://m.subaru.ca/content/7907/Media/General/webimage/whybuy/Subaru_Warranty_Booklet_EN.pdf They are being pretty chintzy if they say that the TCV isn't an "internal engine part".
That's how I feel as well. From what I understand, the TCV is part of the engine's cooling system. Is the TCV physically inside the engine/engine block? It's been tough finding information about this part.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
1,003 Posts
The TCV is a multi-port electrically driven fluid control valve located beneath the intake manifold. It replaces the thermostat and then some. I’d posted some diagrams several months ago but can’t seem to locate the thread.

I don’t know that I’d consider the TCV a part of the engine any more than the radiator or the heater core are part of the engine, but - I’d still push the dealer and Subaru of Canada on the matter.

This is the first time someone has posted about a failed TCV. Did they happen to share with you the error code?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The TCV is a multi-port electrically driven fluid control valve located beneath the intake manifold. It replaces the thermostat and then some. I’d posted some diagrams several months ago but can’t seem to locate the thread.

I don’t know that I’d consider the TCV a part of the engine any more than the radiator or the heater core are part of the engine, but - I’d still push the dealer and Subaru of Canada on the matter.

This is the first time someone has posted about a failed TCV. Did they happen to share with you the error code?
Thanks for the info! The error code is P26A5, which I've googled and found no results. On the invoice it's listed as TCV Faulty (Intermittent Fault). The 100k warranty also covers intake/exhaust manifold, would this be reasonable to include in that category?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
1,003 Posts
I don't see any relation between the TCV and the intake/exhaust manifold, as far as a warranty is considered. It's pretty clear to me that the TCV isn't listed. Why it isn't considered a major component is a different matter, and maybe on that basis you can get some goodwill relief from Subaru of Canada.

The only thing I found on P26A5 is this:
ENGINE COOLANT BYPASS VALVE "A" POSITION SENSOR CIRCUIT RANGE/PERFORMANCE

Here's the post I was looking for, with TCV info.

and an illustration

1 - 6 of 6 Posts