Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester Base Ice Silver
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not found anything definitive on this yet, but here is my dilemma. I currently have the 6.5" Harmon radio in my 2019 Forester and have found an 8" OEM radio with navigation in excellent shape and for a very reasonable price locally. I am not sure yet if this 8" OEM radio with navigation is a regular Harmon unit or part of the Harmon Kardon upgrade. I have read here on the Forester forum and on the Crosstrek forum that the 8" OEM Harmon radio without navigation is pretty much a plug & play swap from the 6.5" OEM radio. However, I have not been able to locate one of those in used, excellent shape and for a reasonable price. I am not interested in adding an aftermarket radio whatsoever. Has anyone tried to swap to the 8" OEM with Navigation from the 6.5" radio? I think I might be missing the GPS antenna/function for that to even work? Would the version with the Harmon Kardon upgrade be tuned differently and not sound okay with the regular OEM speakers? I have noticed that there are two different model numbers - one regular Harmon 8" OEM and one Harmon Kardon 8" OEM at least without navigation. I appreciate any knowledge that anyone can share on this swap. Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 forester
2 Posts
you will need the harness for radio and the amp also volume is controlled by the amp so you need that to , i,tried this on my base made custom harness And it works sometimes It was all over the place. I wasted a lot off time and a some money 300 radio, 2oo AMP,100 harness from limited. Ended up sale on eBay at a loss off 150.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester Base Ice Silver
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I ended up just getting a Non-Nav & Non-Harmon Kardon upgrade 8" OEM from a totaled Sport Forester in a salvage yard. I think I prefer Google Maps / Waze through Carplay anyway. This seemed like the better way to go since I was just looking for the larger screen and Wifi updates. The Non-Nav and Non-HK 8" OEM radios in excellent shape are hard to find in salvage yards from my recent experience but can be located with effort & patience.

·
Registered
2020 forester
2 Posts
Thanks for the info. I ended up just getting a Non-Nav & Non-Harmon Kardon upgrade 8" OEM from a totaled Sport Forester in a salvage yard. I think I prefer Google Maps / Waze through Carplay anyway. This seemed like the better way to go since I was just looking for the larger screen and Wifi updates. The Non-Nav and Non-HK 8" OEM radios in excellent shape are hard to find in salvage yards from my recent experience but can be located with effort & patience.
Cool beans!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts