Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up this new SUV tent and I just realized leaving the door open is really going to drain the power. Id like to leave the back door open and sleep inside the back of the forester while letting the dog sleep in the tent but there are a ton of battery draining lights on that I cant seem to turn off. Main lights I cant turn off are the dashboard notification that the door is open and the side mirror lights. Is it possible to power these down?

·
Registered
359 Posts
It's more than a lights issue. It's a design flaw. See this post on Battery draining.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's more than a lights issue. It's a design flaw. See this post on Battery draining.

Wow thanks. That really sucks. Does seem like a flaw.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Lineartronic® CVT
324 Posts
@ shimmygrl8 I came to post exactly this! We just returned from 5 nights camping and the lights (including the approach lights) remained on the entire time that the hatch was open. Now following, as it would be nice to have an option to disable this "feature."

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im not opposed to pulling some fuses. Just gotta figure out which ones to pull without having to reset all my head unit and dash settings "if thats even possible".

·
Registered
'07 Tribeca
2 Posts
Would a solar battery maintainer help? I know a lot of RV owners put one in the dash while parked. Unsure if it would generate enough power to keep all those lights lit though. Maybe use two.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium 2.5 CVT
7 Posts
Do you have the automatic power liftgate or the manual one? If it is manual there is just a switch in the latch that closes a circuit to let the vehicle know the gate is open. You can take a phillips screwdriver or similar round object and flip the latch on the bottom of the gate to the latched position. This will make it think the gate is closed and the lights will go out and the modules will go to sleep. Just make very sure you trigger the latch and move the latch to the open position before trying to close it. I usually attach a red rag somewhere when doing this to avoid forgetting to release the latch. I assume trying to do any of these tricks with the automatic power liftgate may confuse the system and cause a problem but that is untested.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
793 Posts
My 2019 Forester draws 7A with the rear door open. I have asked the service dept. and been told this is normal.
Normal, as in "they all do this". Certainly not what Subaru intended, given their design attempts to save the battery from accidental discharge.

Here's the 2019 fuse location for the rear gate control module. Someone want to measure the battery current draw before and after pulling that fuse? Would be nice if it was as simple as putting a switch in for those who need to have the gate open a lot. I wonder if killing power to the gate CM with the gate open has other ramifications.
rear gate fuse.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree with an earlier post: the car needs to think the hatch is closed.
Use a philips had screwdriver.
Slide it into the locking mechanism as if it is the striker/latch plate.
There are two stages, so make sure it goes all the way.
Take the keys out of the ignition.
Then I think the only thing that will be on is the security system flashing LED.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
793 Posts
[
You can take a phillips screwdriver or similar round object and flip the latch on the bottom of the gate...

I assume trying to do any of these tricks with the automatic power liftgate may confuse the system and cause a problem but that is untested.
I have a power liftgate. Will give this a try when not on vacation. What could go wrong?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree with an earlier post: the car needs to think the hatch is closed.
Use a philips had screwdriver.
Slide it into the locking mechanism as if it is the striker/latch plate.
There are two stages, so make sure it goes all the way.
Take the keys out of the ignition.
Then I think the only thing that will be on is the security system flashing LED.
Holy crap IT WORKS!!!! Your my hero haha.

So I went on my camping trip last week and didnt know about the little screwdriver trick so I had to close the back hatch. One thing I didnt consider is that once your in you cant get out except through the side door. It was a damp and muddy night and I left my shoes in the tent and had to step out into the mud to let the dog out. Came back and tried to clean my feet the best I could but still pretty inconvenient. This trick would have really made this situation much much better. Thanks everyone for this.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
176 Posts
Just did a test to see if the lights would time out and shut off.

With the passenger side rear door open, the dash display, interior light and the side mirror approach lights stayed on for 20 minutes. They then timed out and turned off.

I did not open or close any other door while waiting.

My vehicle is not equipped with a power lift gate option.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
176 Posts
Rinse and repeat the same test using the REAR HATCH.

With the rear hatch open, the dash display, interior light, rear hatch light and the side mirror approach lights stayed on for 20 minutes. They then timed out and turned off.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
793 Posts
Rinse and repeat the same test using the REAR HATCH.

With the rear hatch open, the dash display, interior light, rear hatch light and the side mirror approach lights stayed on for 20 minutes. They then timed out and turned off.

Interesting and helpful.

I have the Power Rear Gate and your test implicates the gate's electronics in keeping some of my car's power on, unlike yours, after the lights go off at 20 minutes.

The TSBs for the rear gate control module don't mention power consumption as a flaw. The latest, 07-155-19R, is for failure to open. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10163522-0001.pdf

My Forester falls under this TSB, so I'll see if I can get the updated control module installed when I bring the car in in a couple weeks. Not holding my breath that an updated module solves the power problem, but it's worth a shot.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts