Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
36 Posts
My Driver Monitoring system works with all sorts of sunglasses/tints. I never saw the need to set up Driver Recognition. The seat position, mirrors are all set up for Driver 1 button and my Fob. Unless you have a family with multiple drivers, what extra benefit would you get from Driver Recognition?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also use Xtraactive lenses. I have no problem at all with the driver monitoring system or the facial recognition picking me up when wearing them, even when they have darkened out. If you are having problems then I would suggest it is for another reason then the lenses. Try resetting your driver profile and/or making sure the infrared camera above the dash display is clean (no fingerprints etc).
Yes, it picks me up almost every time I get into the driver seat. As soon as my wife sets up her ID and driver seat/mirror position, the automatic adjustment to our settings will be useful. My objection is that the nanny complains about my being inattentive or drowsy when that is not the case, and it uses the same camera for that purpose, no?.

It's not only EyeSight; I had a rental car (Hyundai, IIRC) with the same "feature" and it was a PITA too. If I'm missing something (I've only had the Subaru for two weeks), I'd love to learn from others with insight on this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The driver monitoring works by the system looking at the angle of your face (not eyes). E.g. if your head is turned and you are looking out of the side window too long it will flash "keep your eyes on the road" or if your head keeps drooping down then warns that you are getting drowsy. Your eyes could still be pointed at the road but if the head is turned it will warn. Like all back seat drivers, this one that is built into the dash will give false positives. Easy to just ignore these, they're not invasive and don't happen often. But for that one time you are really falling asleep or looking out the side window for too long it could just save your life.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,836 Posts
It's called driver monitoring not eyesight. And no it doesn't work when I wear sunglasses either. I absolutely hate this feature since it fails so often and you can't permanently turn it off as it defaults to on. They should call it driver distraction since I've looked down 100's of times to see why the car is beeping at me to realize it can't see me through my sunglasses. I've learned to turn it off now at every startup.
Horrible sounding feature.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
321 Posts
I do believe the majority of people do not fully understand the system but bought the Foz anyway... and here we are.

·
Registered
Forester e-Boxer
187 Posts
Today I had one short trip and somehow this driver monitoring system did not detect me correctly. Car constantly beeped "keep eyes on the road". After a restart car, it worked okay. Hopefully it won't do it again :D

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
611 Posts
Today I had one short trip and somehow this driver monitoring system did not detect me correctly. Car constantly beeped "keep eyes on the road". After a restart car, it worked okay. Hopefully it won't do it again :D
I’ve owned my 19 Forester Touring for almost 1 1/2 years, and I’ve had that experience twice. No idea what caused it. In both cases, restarting the vehicle solved the issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It seems too many of the commenters here are missing the main point of the driver-monitoring system -- it needs to see your eyes to judge whether you are drowsy or not. If it can't see your eyes through the sunglasses, it has to turn off that feature. Seems to make perfect sense to me and works well (2019 Touring).

As for the comparison with the cellphone facial recognition, that's a faulty comparison. Your cell phone isn't trying to keep you from texting while drowsy.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
611 Posts
It seems too many of the commenters here are missing the main point of the driver-monitoring system -- it needs to see your eyes to judge whether you are drowsy or not. If it can't see your eyes through the sunglasses, it has to turn off that feature. Seems to make perfect sense to me and works well (2019 Touring).

As for the comparison with the cellphone facial recognition, that's a faulty comparison. Your cell phone isn't trying to keep you from texting while drowsy.
Actually, IIRC, the driver monitoring system doesn’t monitor the driver‘s eyes, but the position of the driver’s head. OTOH, the driver recognition system does indeed require facial aspects for accurate recognition.

·
Registered
Subaru Impreza WRX
2 Posts
I had never problems with that, maybe you wear bad sunglasses.)) (just kidding) In fact, I understand you very much, I had everything exactly the same. At first, my vision just deteriorated and I went to the doctor and he prescribed me regular distance spectacles, then I found out that I can't wear sunglasses this way and went back to the optometrist and he prescribed me lenses. After that, things got a lot easier, but my glasses didn't completely protect my eyes from the sun's rays. Then I decided to buy glasses for cyclists and ordered Layoners sunglasses. All the problems are now solved.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
611 Posts
The "Eyes on Road" message seems to happen and persist when I am driving uphill, into the morning sun, with the visor down. Just a data point.
I agree that the function can be inhibited by bright sunlight. I’ve experienced the same behavior, and in my 19, if I have the driver’s window down and the bright morning sunshine is coming straight into the driver’s window (perpendicular to the direction the vehicle is traveling), I often will see the “Eyes on road” alert. Simply closing the window seems to eliminate the issue. I assume the tint in glass is sufficient to affect the sensor mechanism...

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forrester touring, Magnetite Gray metallic
12 Posts
That is surprising I have an iPhone XS and I wear glasses and with and without glasses it recognize me then I put on polarizing sunglasses and it still recognizes me. I wonder what the difference in the coding. You would think the coders would done some algorithms on that facial recognition for that scenario.
lou cioccio
I wear glasses and have no problems with it recognizing me with or without sunglasses.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts