Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Subaru Forester 2019 touring
I have problem when wearing sun glasses it stops working after driving short distance. I have created a new face profile wearing sunglasses. It recognizes my face and works for short time then disables, the icon in dash becomes white and there is a diagonally cross line with “i” to refer to manual. Manual does not say anything.
Without sunglasses eye sight monitoring works without any problem.
Talked to dealer and they said it will not work with sunglasses.
Is any one has faced such problems, is somebody found solution or does anybody knows what kind of sunglasses one should buy. Dealer technician told me try non polarized sunglasses. Has anyone tried.
Any suggestions or input to resolve this is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
359 Posts
It's called driver monitoring not eyesight. And no it doesn't work when I wear sunglasses either. I absolutely hate this feature since it fails so often and you can't permanently turn it off as it defaults to on. They should call it driver distraction since I've looked down 100's of times to see why the car is beeping at me to realize it can't see me through my sunglasses. I've learned to turn it off now at every startup.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's called driver monitoring not eyesight. And no it doesn't work when I wear sunglasses either. I absolutely hate this feature since it fails so often and you can't permanently turn it off as it defaults to on. They should call it driver distraction since I've looked down 100's of times to see why the car is beeping at me to realize it can't see me through my sunglasses. I've learned to turn it off now at every startup.
When I called dealer telling driver monitoring system problem they corrected me saying it’s called eye sight monitoring.
It’s does not matter what’s its called but wearing sunglasses it does not works. I called Subaru technical support and csr was surprised that it does not work.according to him then it should not work at all. It should not recognize your face. He said he will forward my questions to support team.
Got response from technical support telling me to see the manual page 370 it says it may not work with sunglasses . No further explanation.
I will try with non polarized sunglasses and see what’s happens.

·
Registered
2018 Forester CVT
135 Posts
When I called dealer telling driver monitoring system problem they corrected me saying it’s called eye sight monitoring.
It’s does not matter what’s its called but wearing sunglasses it does not works. I called Subaru technical support and csr was surprised that it does not work.according to him then it should not work at all. It should not recognize your face. He said he will forward my questions to support team.
Got response from technical support telling me to see the manual page 370 it says it may not work with sunglasses . No further explanation.
I will try with non polarized sunglasses and see what’s happens.
That is surprising I have an iPhone XS and I wear glasses and with and without glasses it recognize me then I put on polarizing sunglasses and it still recognizes me. I wonder what the difference in the coding. You would think the coders would done some algorithms on that facial recognition for that scenario.
lou cioccio

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is surprising I have an iPhone XS and I wear glasses and with and without glasses it recognize me then I put on polarizing sunglasses and it still recognizes me. I wonder what the difference in the coding. You would think the coders would done some algorithms on that facial recognition for that scenario.
lou cioccio
I don’t understand what i phone xS to do with Subaru drive monitoring system ?

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,452 Posts
I drive a 2018 and fortunately don't have to deal with this wonderful new feature. The discussion is similar to the one about auto stop/start that has been going on for a few months here. Progress in that area might be applicable to this situation.

The two situations appear similar in that a manual shutoff is apparently required to disable each of them every time one starts the car. Move to the end of that thread to see how one member employed a timer module to automatically do this with the stop/start feature. If you are of an electrical frame of mind, this might lead to an approach for automatically disabling the driver monitoring system on startup.

My thoughts are just theoretical in that I don't have a 2019 to experiment with. Go for it!

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,517 Posts
Maybe Subaru will come up with an enhanced model that automatically disables glitchy safety systems on start up.
It will likely be available only on the Super Premium, and with a hefty price tag... ;-)

Until then, the system is working as designed.
It will not recognize a driver wearing sunglasses because the system assumes that driver is blind.. It's called the Stevie Wonder exception module.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
611 Posts
I’ve had my 19 Touring since last October. I quite often wear a fedora, and regardless of what hat style I’m wearing, or which particular hat, I’ve found that my driver recognition works pretty well, but I’ve noticed that if I place an arm behind my head, like I’m adjusting my hat or scratching the back of my head while the system is in recognition mode, most times it will fail to ID me.

I’ve been able to reproduce this behavior consistently.

I haven’t tried it wearing glasses...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Solution found using sunglasses and drive monitoring system.
Well I found the solution myself without the help from Subaru Tech support.
I tried various sunglasses with different tint shade and the one which worked and working is Amber color. I bought Solar shield Driver sunglasses with amber color tint. I created a new face profile with this sunglasses. It recognizes me with entry and exiting the car by my name without any problem and working. I have been driving around with stop and go for last 10 days and it always worked never stopped. The amber color is not dark therefore eyes can be seen by camera (I assume). Also amber tint gives more clear vision while driving even in rainy days with dark clouds.
Everyone uses sunglasses in bright sunny days while driving, Subaru should have thought about it when designing the car electronics. I hope engineers should upgrade the software so one can use sunglasses to drive the car.
I now love my Subaru forester touring.
Hope this information could be helpful to other Subaru owners.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just curious - what benefits does the driver recognition provide to you>
Do you own Subaru 2019 model? It provides safety features while driving car, like if you change lanes or you are too near to front car it applies brakes.there are many other features are there, just read the description at Subaru web site..

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
611 Posts
Solution found using sunglasses and drive monitoring system.
Well I found the solution myself without the help from Subaru Tech support.
I tried various sunglasses with different tint shade and the one which worked and working is Amber color. I bought Solar shield Driver sunglasses with amber color tint. I created a new face profile with this sunglasses. It recognizes me with entry and exiting the car by my name without any problem and working. I have been driving around with stop and go for last 10 days and it always worked never stopped. The amber color is not dark therefore eyes can be seen by camera (I assume). Also amber tint gives more clear vision while driving even in rainy days with dark clouds.
Everyone uses sunglasses in bright sunny days while driving, Subaru should have thought about it when designing the car electronics. I hope engineers should upgrade the software so one can use sunglasses to drive the car.
I now love my Subaru forester touring.
Hope this information could be helpful to other Subaru owners.

Well, it can be awfully difficult to have an operational facial recognition system that works when a substantial part of the face is obscured...

·
Registered
2019 Forester
132 Posts
I have a 2019 with the safety features but what does recognizing you when you get into the car have to do with that. I have never set it up and I have all the safety features. Sunglasses or not I have all the safety features.
What I meant was what does driver recognition do for you - not the full Eyesight system.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
611 Posts
I have a 2019 with the safety features but what does recognizing you when you get into the car have to do with that. I have never set it up and I have all the safety features. Sunglasses or not I have all the safety features.
What I meant was what does driver recognition do for you - not the full Eyesight system.
If you’re asking about the specific functions the vehicle recognition system performs, an explanation is in the Owner’s manual.

If you’re asking me personally, it doesn’t do anything for me, as I’m the sole driver of the vehicle, and my seat position, mirror position and. Radio presets never change.

It’s probably much more useful to vehicles that have multiple drivers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2 main things. When you hop into the car it adjusts your seat, side mirrors, AC etc to your preference. So if you have a couple of different sized drivers they don't have to adjust everything manually themselves. Also if you look away from the road for too long etc it will give you a warning to keep your eyes on the road. Likewise if it sees you starting to fall asleep it will also take action.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
155 Posts
We're talking about two different things; Driver Recognition vs Driver Monitoring. The Recognition function uses facial recognition to differentiate between multiple drivers and will automatically adjust the seat, mirrors, HVAC settings, radio presets, screen displays, average mileage, phone pairing and contacts etc if you set up individual driver profiles and do a facial scan of each driver. It could be useful if there is more than one driver.

Driver Monitoring is always on when you start the car. The Monitoring safety features are active even without a driver profile or Recognition being set up. It warns you if you take your eyes off the road for too long, helping to reduce driver distraction. It will get more aggressive if it thinks you are getting sleepy. If it detects a collision and thinks you are unresponsive it will notify the Starlink SOS system

·
Registered
15 Posts
My only pair of prescription eyeglasses have Transitions XTRActive lenses in them. They photochromically darken in bright light, and the XTRActive version gets sunglasses-dark even in a vehicle with some UV blocking in the window glass. Buying another pair of glasses to cater to Subaru's Driver Monitoring System is not going to happen. This technology has been rolled out before it is ready for Prime Time, and it cannot be turned off if one wants the many good parts of the package.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My only pair of prescription eyeglasses have Transitions XTRActive lenses in them. They photochromically darken in bright light, and the XTRActive version gets sunglasses-dark even in a vehicle with some UV blocking in the window glass. Buying another pair of glasses to cater to Subaru's Driver Monitoring System is not going to happen. This technology has been rolled out before it is ready for Prime Time, and it cannot be turned off if one wants the many good parts of the package.
I also use Xtraactive lenses. I have no problem at all with the driver monitoring system or the facial recognition picking me up when wearing them, even when they have darkened out. If you are having problems then I would suggest it is for another reason then the lenses. Try resetting your driver profile and/or making sure the infrared camera above the dash display is clean (no fingerprints etc).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts