Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Just ordered a diff guard from LP Aventure. Will post pictures and thoughts when I get it. The factory Subaru option looks somewhat wimpy compared to 3/16" thick aluminium plate bent and welded.

The components contained in the LP Aventure 2" lift kit were top quality in my opinion, so I expect the same from the guard.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Lineartronic® CVT
150 Posts
I installed the Engine Under Guard E515SSJ010 (aluminum) right after purchasing the vehicle. Like others whom have has unique stories, I also had an event leading to this purchase. With less than 5,000 miles on my 2013 VX, we hit a traffic cone that was thrown into traffic on the highway after being struck by a vehicle ahead. It didn't do serious damage to any mechanicals but it did break and damage most of the plastic under guards. We got lucky. This purchase was a no-brainer.

Today I installed the Differential Under Guard - Rear E515EFL20. It was a complete pain, but it looks really great and I am grateful for the protection it might offer.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
431 Posts
Yes, the factory Aluminum under guard does cover the oil pan. I picked my '19 Sport up last night and had them install the under guard. I haven't had a chance to put it up on ramps yet, but from my crawl under I am impressed with the stock unit. I have a Primitive skid plate on my '12 Forester (now the dog park car) and from what I've seen the factory unit looks really nice

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium
36 Posts
I picked up the aluminum Subaru under guard for my '19 Forester since it rains a lot where I'm at and I figure it would only be a matter of time before the steel one gets scratched and rusts. I had the dealer install it, but I'm really happy with the coverage. I've been looking at the Subaru and LP Adventure differential guards as well.

Has anyone gone the route of the LP Adventure Bumper Guard and under guards? They have a pretty extensive under body protection system that starts with (and requires) the bumper guard. LP doesn't have the weight listed for it though, so I don't know if it would be usable without modifying the suspension to account for the extra weight (something I don't want to have to do).

I have a lot of gravel forest service roads near me.... the more protection the better.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Got my LP Aventure differential guard back from powder coat and will be installing soon. No disappointments with the quality and ruggedness of the guard. Certainly could withstand a serious smash with some firmly planted rocks and roots.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Installed the LP Aventure differential guard. Easy to install (4 nuts) with exception to prying forward the differential to create enough space in order to slip the guard in between the housing and the subframe. 5 minute install otherwise.

LP Aventure online instructions are pretty good except I found that the point shown to leverage against with a pry bar was not working for me. I decided to go with the ratchet strap method as seen on YouTube to pull the differential forward crating the necessary space (3/16") to slide the guard into place.

The exhaust pipe is VERY close the touching the guard, less than 1/8" of space. Would not be surprised if contact is made while driving / flexing the suspension. I used a strap to also hold back the exhaust a small amount to create additional room for an easier install. Probably not necessary but gave me an additional 1/8" or so. Every little bit helps when working alone.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello. I looked into adding the 2 OEM Under Guards and the local dealership wanted upwards of $400 to do the install. Does that seem right?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Lineartronic® CVT
150 Posts
They are both direct bolt-on. The front took me maybe 45 minutes to install and the rear half that time. Three rear requires removing factory bolts that are a bit of a pain.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
The front under engine guard is not difficult to install. I can't see the dealer charging more than .5 hours labor. Any more would be excessive in my opinion. It took longer to put the vehicle on the ramps and organize my tools than it did to do the work.
I cant speak to the install time for the Subaru factory rear differential guard. It mounts different than the LP Aventure guard I have on my vehicle.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Subaru Canada show the install time as .7 for the engine underguard.
There is no listing on the diff guard.

·
Registered
2017 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,463 Posts
Powder Coated Guard

Pictures of the Subaru Aluminium Splash Guard after powder coat. Wanted to match the orange-ish red trim color of the Sport model. Didn't come out exactly as planed. Looks more like KTM orange.

The guard is mostly for show and would never be able to withstand a significant smash against rocks or roots. Mounts to undercarriage with four bolts and 10 plastic clips. Far better than the plastic factory splash guard and looks pretty cool.

The replacement should come with an aluminium oil drain cover plate. You need to keep the original plastic oil drain cover plate and re-install on the aluminium splash guard with plastic rivet clips. Not acceptable. I will be making a billet aluminium replacement that bolts on. Again purely for fashion purposes, because my wife drives this vehicle and it will most likely never really go off-road.

Pictures Posted
Those are great pics in your photo album.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks. I will try to call the dealership again in hopes to get someone else on the phone. Does the OEM guard make add any issues with oil changes?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
No difference changing the oil. Actually you need to keep and re-install the plastic oil drain cover because the metal engine under guards do not come with a replacement cover.
I think that the guard should come with a metal replacement cover but it don't. Kinda cheesy since the quality of the underguard is exceptional for what it is.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Started making a machined aluminium oil drain cover plate to replace the OEM plastic part. Cover plate will mount with 5mm button head cap screws replacing the plastic push rivets.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well I tried my local dealership again and even got an even higher price. I called dealership about 20 min a way into Jersey and it was half the cost!
Thanks again even though it wont look as cool as your powder coated one!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Try to get the parts dept to sell you the stuff at internet pricing since you are paying the dealership to do the install. Show them that other Subaru Parts sellers are offering better pricing. Factory Subaru parts and accessories can be found at many locations on the internet for much less than the MSRP. My local Subaru parts dept always gives me better pricing. Ask for a price match.
The aluminium engine underguard, E515SSJ010, can purchased for less than $150, MSRP is $199.95.
Rear differential guard, E515EFL201, can be purchased for less than $75, MSRP is $99.95.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Finish machined the oil drain cover plate. Also had it powder coated to match the other guards. Square O-ring on backside makes for a much better banking surface since the engine under guard is not perfectly flat.
Installed rivet nuts into the preexisting four holes on the aluminium engine under guard (E515SSJ010). 5mm stainless button head screws fasten the oil drain cover plate in place. Fits nice.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts