Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time Subaru owner, 2019 Forester Sport, and new to the Forum.

Any idea how thick the Subaru Under Guards are?
Are they made from 1mm tin can material or do they have some rigidity?
Is the Aluminium guard thicker than the steel unit?
Not going rock crawling, just looking for some additional protection stronger than plastic.

Engine Under Guard
E515SSJ000 (steel)
E515SSJ010 (aluminium)

Differential Under Guard - Rear
E515Elf201

Thank You

Attachments

·
Administrator
15,410 Posts
I wouldn't bother with the diff guard - it's the strongest part of the vehicle ;-) I've never had a diff guard and have done some pretty hard rock crawling.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
78 Posts
We replaced the front plastic skid plate with an aluminum one the first week we had ours. Sorry, don't now the thickness but I can tell you it's a much nicer piece than the factory plastic one. I feel better knowing it's there in the event we run over some kind of road debris.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium
1,309 Posts
That looks really nice. My plastic one has a huge crack in it and mine never leaves the pavement.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I contacted Subaru customers service and here is the information they responded with.
A++ for Subaru customer service to actually come up with this information and respond back.

I am writing in response to your questions regarding the 2019 Forester accessories.
The thickness varies among the different components in the kit, and thickness changes during the stamping process. The thickness I’m providing below is the pre-forming thickness of the main plate of the under guards.

Engine Under Guard
E515SSJ000 (steel) – 2mm
E515SSJ010 (aluminum) – 3mm

Differential Under Guard - Rear
E515EFL201 – 2mm (steel)

·
Registered
2019 Forester - Touring CVT
29 Posts
We replaced the front plastic skid plate with an aluminum one the first week we had ours. Sorry, don't now the thickness but I can tell you it's a much nicer piece than the factory plastic one. I feel better knowing it's there in the event we run over some kind of road debris.
Where did you purchase your aluminum skid plate / what brand is it? I've been looking at LP Adventure for similar add-ons including a bumper guard / big bumper guard or possibly a bull bar.

I mostly want to protect against A-Hole parallel parkers, but I also want the added protection for road debris and light to medium off-roading. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
50 Posts
Wow - Changing my oil for the first time and wanting to put on a fumoto valve. Well the skid plate access hole to the oil plug does not give the clearance for a open end wrench to tighten it. So I took off the skid plate. Holy smokes - in addition to 4 bolts - a bunch of those junky clips. Now I only hope I can remember where they all go. That got me on this forum looking for alternatives.
Does the aluminum one secure with just bolts or do they also use the numerous plastic clips?

·
Registered
2014 Volt
23 Posts
Your road debris comment reminds me of the story about the corvette that was totaled when a piece of road debris cracked the aluminum frame.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
258 Posts
Your road debris comment reminds me of the story about the corvette that was totaled when a piece of road debris cracked the aluminum frame.
My son’s new 2018 Impreza five door was totaled hitting a battery box lid from a big rig, (he had no where to go). No bumper/body damage at all, but it tumbled as it hit the steering rack, oil pan, CVT, exhaust and rear axles. $16,000 worth.

I ordered protection the next day...

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
316 Posts
Still trying to figure out if the engine guard will extend back far enough to cover oil pan. Can anyone confirm?
This is for an LPAventure guard. According to them it does protect the oil pan and then some.

Below is a pick I managed to find attached to a 2019 Sport. CB14BB33-B05F-41F6-95E1-071597108C7A_1549406063188.jpeg

·
Registered
2019 Forester, Touring CVT
167 Posts
I recently installed the E515SSJ010 (aluminum) engine under guard. I took a few photos of the plastic guard side by side with the new one for reference along with the bag of install parts and posted here for a reference for anyone that is considering doing this. There was an earlier post asking about covering the oil pan. Yes, it does and it bolts to a metal cover behind the pan. The metal guard has the identical coverage area as the plastic one that it replaces so take a look at what is there now for a reference. The only exposed area is the cut out for the drain plus which is to be covered by the plastic cover from the OEM guard. For now I left this off and will decide later what do about it. For reference the side "wings" clip on to the same holes as the plastic guard and then the main cover screws to the wings. And then there are a few holes across the front that also use plastic clips that attach it to the lower portion of the bumper. I found it to be easy to install and was able to do it alone without any issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Powder Coated Guard

Pictures of the Subaru Aluminium Splash Guard after powder coat. Wanted to match the orange-ish red trim color of the Sport model. Didn't come out exactly as planed. Looks more like KTM orange.

The guard is mostly for show and would never be able to withstand a significant smash against rocks or roots. Mounts to undercarriage with four bolts and 10 plastic clips. Far better than the plastic factory splash guard and looks pretty cool.

The replacement should come with an aluminium oil drain cover plate. You need to keep the original plastic oil drain cover plate and re-install on the aluminium splash guard with plastic rivet clips. Not acceptable. I will be making a billet aluminium replacement that bolts on. Again purely for fashion purposes, because my wife drives this vehicle and it will most likely never really go off-road.

Pictures Posted

Attachments

·
Registered
281 Posts
I wouldn't bother with the diff guard - it's the strongest part of the vehicle ;-) I've never had a diff guard and have done some pretty hard rock crawling.
so diff can be used as jack point?

I remember reading primative diff guard, and wanting to buy the thick one cause it advertised as a jack point.

of course, jack point from diff, and placing stands on the sides.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts