Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

181 - 200 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester Premium w EyeSight AT
160 Posts
Hey guys. What are you thinking about K&N PS1010? It is on sale at wally for $4.04 I was thinking to grab like 10.

·
Registered
160 Posts
@lepa71 ...read the reviews on the K&N...not good! Buy the WIX for just a tad more and get a FAR better filter.
My wife drives less than 5k miles between oil changes so I'm changing it every 6 months for warranty reasons. I don't know if I really need WIX. I have been using OEM blue filter but for $4.04 I'm thinking to grab some. It seems K&N is a little bit better than OEM.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
I'm not talking about the WIX XP, but the WIX. Reviews on-line said the K&N filtered at about 80% versus the WIX at >99%. Far better than the OEM and the K&N and the standard WIX is less than $5. Don't let the name "K&N" fool you. They don't make these filters and, if it was between the OEM and the K&N, I'd just stick with the OEM.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm not talking about the WIX XP, but the WIX. Reviews on-line said the K&N filtered at about 80% versus the WIX at >99%. Far better than the OEM and the K&N an d the standard WIX is less than $5
Where do you get them for under $5? It is WIX 57055, isn't it?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
Not looking to argue...just buy what you want and call it a day. You won’t hurt my feelings. Your car, your money! You said you were buying 10. The added cost per filter is then peanuts.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Not looking to argue...just buy what you want and call it a day. You won’t hurt my feelings. Your car, your money! You said you were buying 10. The added cost per filter is then peanuts.
Thank you. Not looking for it either. Just wanted to see if K&N is better than OEM.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
364 Posts
My guess is Subaru specifies the engineering specs for its supplier. Between a K&N Filter made in China with unknown specs, and what the manufacturer has sourced for its vehicles, I will choose the Subaru. I would also buy a Denso because they are an OE supplier in Japan for Toyota and Nissan, and make quality parts. Securityguy has also convinced me through sheer force of conviction that the WiX XP is a first-rate alternative that would be better for longer intervals than the Subie one. Same deal for the Purolator Boss.
I will say I like this thread somewhat because it seems to be one of the rare ones that are congregating a number of us who will actually touch our Subarus and maintain them ourselves. :)

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5iLimited CVT
214 Posts
I agree, and the Purolator Boss and Pureone have a bypass setting of 20-30 psi, but I doubt you can buy them as cheap as the WixXP from RockAuto

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5iLimited CVT
214 Posts
I use the Fram Ultra..best on the market. 20 microns at 99+%
That is the favorite over on bobistheoilguy, but the bypass pressure valve setting is too low for the Subaru. Does it matter? It probably depends on the conditions.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
423 Posts
Not allot of mention of Amsoil filters. I use them, will continue to.
A lot of animus towards Amsoil by some forum members. Since I have an Amsoil warehouse so close by, I will shop there too. Amsoil works to keep just ahead of every competitor. Works for me.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
Not allot of mention of Amsoil filters. I use them, will continue to.
Amsoil is a great product and I have used their oil in the past. However, after watching the videos on a ton of filters, you will clearly come to the conclusion that the Amsoil filter is no better than the WIX XP and the WIX is less than half the cost of the Amsoil. Why pay more than twice for a filter that clearly is no better then the XP :unsure:

·
Registered
2020 Forester Premium and 2019 Impreza Hatch
375 Posts
Hi,

I am back to Subaru after leaving for a few years, I am picking up a 2020 Forester Premium tomorrow. I am going to also go back to doing my own oil changes. Besides the OEM Blue filter does anyone else know what other types\ brands I can use? Well that is recommended ?

So If my search was correct..I will need a 14MM 12 point socket too.

THANKS

·
Registered
2019 Forester Base CVT
168 Posts
Thanks- So If my search was correct..I will need a 14MM 12 point socket too.
I would recommend using only a 6-Point since legend has it the factory 14mm drain plugs are hard to remove and frequently round off. Subaru makes a replacement drain plug with a 17mm head. My advice is to let the dealer change the oil the first time and replace the 14mm with the 17mm. (Make sure their parts dept has one before you go in.) After that, it's much easier with the 17mm.

Regarding the crush washers - on my Kias, the crush washers are much firmer. After finger tightening, they only went about 1/8 turn before the torque wrench (30 lb/ft) would click. With the Subaru, they are softer and after finger-tightening, will go almost a complete rotation before the torque wrench clicks. I thought I was stripping it.

181 - 200 of 200 Posts