Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been diehard Subaru guy for many years and have trusted in the OEM oil filter. Now I am not saying that anything has happened, since it hasn't. However, I was researching Subaru OEM filters and came across this video. This is really a POS filter...bottom tier. Poor quality anti-drain back valve, cardboard end caps, poor quality stamped metal pressure relief valve and a cellulose/paper filter media. I was buying these for around $5 in bulk and have 1 left. After seeing this video, and doing a ton of additional research, I just purchased 4 WIX XP oil filters from Rockauto.com for about $6.50 each. Top-tier filter made in the USA that uses a silicone anti-drain back valve, full wire mesh backed synthetic media, metal end caps and a real spring versus a stamped metal POS pressure relief valve. I must say that I was shocked that the quality of this was like that of the Walmart SuperTech filters that you can pickup fo about $3.

I am sure that the filter works fine (I have never had any issues), especially if you don't go beyond the recommended oil change intervals. But I must say I'll feel far more comfortable using the WIX XP knowing that I am providing far better protection down to about 20 microns in a very high quality, well made filter for only a buck and a half more.

To each their own but this video was a big surprise and a huge disappointment!

·
Super Moderator
2018 FXT-T CVT / 2014 VW Passat TDI SEL
1,545 Posts
The real results are in the UOA...and while I am like you in terms of construction quality....the fact is I've alternated between the Blue filters and the WIX XP you mentioned...and the UOA results showed no difference attributable to either differences in wear, or in insolubles. If the filter media was poor, or the bypass not working well, insolubles would be high. I actually had hoped the XP would have made a notable difference in drain back but it didn't seem to. It still made that initial clacking for a couple seconds on a cold start...didn't seem to cause any real difference in wear metals either.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Scooby24 ...all I am referencing is the build quality. If you change your oil often, I am sure the OEM filter will protect it well. The filter media is crap but, as I said, if you change the oil and filter every 5-6K miles, it will do its job. After seeing how poorly the OEM is made, I just can't do it again. I am an anal engineer and construction quality is very important to me. For $1.50 more, I'll have far better piece of mind.

·
Super Moderator
2018 FXT-T CVT / 2014 VW Passat TDI SEL
1,545 Posts
Totally get it...it's why I switched to Wix XP too...but I wanted to see if there was really anything different...and for my use case there isn't.

It's not really a cost thing for me...it's more convenience. Like you I bought the blue filters in bulk when I got the XT. I still have 3 more I think. I'm paying like 30 bucks for every UOA and the last sample I spent a ridiculous amount on Amsoil...so I'm willing to dish the money out if there was some reason to do it.

But there doesn't seem to be...so...I'm going back to Pennzoil..might try Valvoline next. Either way...hell of a lot easier to get than Amsoil.

Based on a recent Project Farm video, I might try the Shell Gas Truck 5w30 out.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right there with you my friend. I went the Amsoil route too for a short period as well. Didn't see the value and harder to purchase. I only use Pennzoil Platinum and have for over 5 years now and pick it up at Walmart for about $22 a jug.

·
Registered
2005 2.5XT 4EAT
296 Posts
I use Pennzoil Platinum too. Ultra platinum when there is a sale on Amazon.
I use the OEM filter on my 05 XT and 14 OB 3.6. I know the OB is a different filter (by part number, not a clue on build quality). Is the filter in the video the same as the one used on the SG XT? I didn’t see a mention of the part number.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
475 Posts
Paper filters have to have a greater surface area because of the very poor flow rates. Subaru has a high volume oil pump which triggers the bypass valve most of the time unless the bypass spring rate is high, forcing more oil through the paper.

This is why synthetic filter media is far superior.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
475 Posts
Napa offers a synthetic media oil filter which matches the Subaru 27 psi bypass specification.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
475 Posts
With the high flow rate of synthetic media, I have little concern about lower bypass spring rates. My Subaru dealer, who won't touch any aftermarket part, installs the Amsoil oil and filter because the service techs say it is the very best available.

Select synthetic media oil filters from Wix, NAPA, K&N, Fram, Amsoil, etc... and you will get far better filtration and flow rates than the OE Subaru paper oil filter.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
475 Posts
Blackstone oil tests are great for seeing just how long your oil can provide minimum lubrication, AND when your engine is wearing out. Over the road trucks benefit from these oil tests to know the maximum miles between changes.

I change my Subaru oil at 6,000 miles, or less, per the Owners Manual, knowing that my oil has a far greater lubrication life.

Blackstone doesn't test volatility, which is the main purpose of the 6,000 mile requirement. The direct injection Subaru engines are highly susceptible to oil vapor. Selecting a quality low volatility engine oil, and changing at 6,000 miles, is key to keeping these valve stems clean.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
495 Posts
Where it says the OEM sample was new oil and the Amsoil sample was with 1,500 miles on the Mobil 1 oil, how should I read that? Does it mean the Amsoil filter started its test with oil that had already been used for 1,500 miles on another filter? If that's what it's saying, then maybe the previous filter took out a lot of the particles. Do we know how many particles there were in the oil before the tests started?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
475 Posts
No
Where it says the OEM sample was new oil and the Amsoil sample was with 1,500 miles on the Mobil 1 oil, how should I read that? Does it mean the Amsoil filter started its test with oil that had already been used for 1,500 miles on another filter? If that's what it's saying, then maybe the previous filter took out a lot of the particles. Do we know how many particles there were in the oil before the tests started?
No, George carefully performed two separate tests, then paid for both forms of tests himself. The laser test being expensive.

The result he found matches the previous document page captures from Cummins.

Full oil flow with superior filtration for about the same price as the Subaru paper filter is intelligent.

With the variety of synthetic oil filters available, it is easy to find one anywhere. I choose Amsoil because they have a warehouse close to me. Otherwise I would probably purchase Wix or NAPA.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
495 Posts
Full oil flow with superior filtration for about the same price as the Subaru paper filter is intelligent.

With the variety of synthetic oil filters available, it is easy to find one anywhere. I choose Amsoil because they have a warehouse close to me. Otherwise I would probably purchase Wix or NAPA.
I have a Napa very close to me.

Our other car uses the cartridge filters where we just change the filter media and a couple o rings. The outer housing and bypass mechanism (if any) is built into the car. I've just been sticking the paper Fram stuff in (owner's manual says 8,000 km intervals). Maybe I'll switch that car to synthetic as well.

1 - 20 of 200 Posts