Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium
1,304 Posts
I would definitely believe they're going to kill the 2.5 and replace it with smaller turbo engines. I wholeheartedly support this, people will get better performance and some real modding potential over the NA.
I love the fact my 2.5 can easily get mid 30s mpg and also save a good chunk of change at the pump. When it gets replaced, the new engine will need to be able to do the same or better gas mileage and not require premium for best performance. You can't beat the savings of regular vs premium in my area.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I love the fact my 2.5 can easily get mid 30s mpg and also save a good chunk of change at the pump. When it gets replaced, the new engine will need to be able to do the same or better gas mileage and not require premium for best performance. You can't beat the savings of regular vs premium in my area.
There are plenty of turbocharged economy engines that don't require premium. Direct injection has made that possible.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i CVT
613 Posts
thats the entire point

http://news.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=9405-en

1.5-liter turbocharged DOHC direct-injected inline-4 engine with dual variable timing control that is the most powerful engine ever offered in the CR-V, and Honda's most powerful production turbocharged engine ever offered in America. Designed to operate on Regular Unleaded fuel, the engine is rated at 190 peak horsepower at 5,600 rpm. Peak torque output is 179 lb.-ft. from 2,000 to 5,000 rpm. The engine is Tier 3 Bin 70 emissions compliant and is rated by the EPA at 28/34/30 mpg1 (city/highway/combine

Vs the old... larger naturally aspirated
2.4-liter, ... at 26/32/28 mpg1 (city/highway/combined)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Forester Premium BE CVT
45 Posts
So what does it mean in the SOA roadmap, "2.Early 2018: New Forester?"

April orders for July as usual next spring? or earlier?

·
Premium Member
2018 Forester XT Touring CVT
1,010 Posts
^For what it's worth I got my 14 in March of 13 when that gen first started hitting dealer lots. I think they had already released the final production images and maybe even promotional videos and other marketing by this time the year before though, so it seems this next new gens timeline will be shifted by a few months at least.

·
Registered
2015 XT Premium CVT
4,681 Posts
Kind of strange 1.8l in 2019 what does that mean for the Forester being released in 2018? Saw this article saying that there will be a sport variation of the Forester. Not sure what that means? Just some cosmetic changes from the standard Forester or performance?

The good news is we’ll also see a sporty variant along the lines of the current-generation Forester 2.0XT. We may also see an STI-enhanced Forester tS now that Subaru’s STI division is taking the United States market seriously. Subaru has previously sold a Forester tS in Japan. The vehicle featured a host of chassis upgrades, though it’s 2.0-liter turbocharged flat-4 delivered the same 250-horsepower rating as the stock Forester 2.0XT.
https://www.autoblog.com/2017/08/04/next-generation-subaru-forester-spy-shots/

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,791 Posts
Just keep in mind the WRX & STI are strong sellers both in Japan and in Canada/US. They will always need to have a motor capable of 250-300+ HP so regardless of displacement you may see several de-tuned variants in the Forester and Legacy platforms. I wouldn't get too hung up on engine size , concern yourself more with the HP output.

Look how far we've gone , in the mid 80's your typical Japanese 4 cyl made 110hp on a good day, and it took a turbo 6 cyl to make 200-250hp. Today we easily have 4 cyl making 250hp and 6's making well over 350hp. I think the trend is to shrink the motor size while increasing HP. A smaller motor is also lighter which requires less HP and fuel to do the same job.

Also keep in mind the electric motors are coming out which will be a whole different ball game.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Limited
55 Posts
1.Mid-2017:New XV,Minor Change Levorg(Type D),Eyesight Ver.4

2.Early 2018: New Forester,New Subaru Ascent release

3.2018 Fall: Minor change Levorg(Type E)

4.2019 Fall:Major Change Levorg、WRX,New 1.8L Engine (Replace FB25、FB16DIT、FA20DIT)

5.2020 Q1:Major change Legacy,Eyesight Ver.5,New 1.5L Engine (Replace FB20、FB16、FA20)

6.2021:SUBARU
Start to develop Electric Vehicle in Small Compact form, and will start to release in CA to begin with.

Leaked SOJ roadmap
Am I reading this correctly? A 1.8L (presumably w/ turbo) engine replacement for the FB25? I would have expected the 1.5L (w/ turbo) to replace the FB25.

·
Registered
2015 XT Premium CVT
4,681 Posts
My XT is the first Subaru I ever owned and probably the only real reason I own one. I originally brought my XT because it was unusual, had more power and I got it for $26,800 seem to make it a real bargain. Really never wanted an SUV in the first place but needed the cargo room.

If they drop the XT in the next generation I might lean toward a 2020 Rav4 Hybrid (second year of next generation) if I need the cargo room. Based on the 2018 Camry the next RAV4 hybrid will have the new platform increased hp above 200hp, cargo room (battery now under the rear seats) and probably get close to 40mpg combined. The regular RAV4 will be bump above 200hp without a turbo probably a combined mpg close to 30 mpg or above with a 8 speed automatic no CVT.

I just brought my wife a 2018 Avalon hybrid XLE Premium which weighs about the same as the Rav4 with 200hp it has plenty of power and a combined 40mpg.

·
Registered
19 19 Touring, 17TrgXT CVT
637 Posts
@Legacy is spot on. I'm also betting the Subaru Engineers will pull a rabbit out of a hat. 1.8L turbo still around 250 BHP, with regular gas. That means they have to squeeze the same HP out of a 10% reduced displacement engine on regular gas. Not that far fetched and also agree with @Legacy they are not going to have a whole new engine for the WRX/WRX STI just a further tuned version of the 1.8L - which means they need to be able to push this rig to 300 BHP

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i CVT
613 Posts
Based on this, this is what I see.

Forester/Outback 2.5i replaced with 1.8t eco tune on regular gas. 180-200hp. (Ala CRV turbo)

Forester XT/Outback R/WRX/Ascent?: 1.8t tuned premium gas. 250+hp.
H6 goes away? Volvo for one doing great with small 4cyl turbo pushing luxo barges around.

Impreza/Crosstrek: 2.0i replaced with 1.5t eco tune on regular gas, 150-160hp.

WRX and STI have significantly different engine today, I imagine that will remain in order for sti to have power figures they need.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2016 XT Touring CVT
682 Posts
Am I reading this correctly? A 1.8L (presumably w/ turbo) engine replacement for the FB25? I would have expected the 1.5L (w/ turbo) to replace the FB25.
Yup. From what I read (and how it was translated) it seems that Subaru is going away completely from the NA 4 cylinder engines (we aren't talking H6 here).

As was said, don't worry too much about displacement but about power and fuel economy. Remember, turbo can be used for good and evil >:)

You can tune a 1.5L turbo to run at or more HP than the base while also having that or greater fuel economy (as was said, see Honda)

21 - 34 of 34 Posts