Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Editorial Content
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This is our first look at the all-new 2019 Subaru Forester.

Riding on the Japanese automaker’s new Subaru Global Platform, the 2019 Subaru Forester appears to be taking design cues from the new three-row Ascent crossover. The current Subaru Impreza rides on the new architecture, which has improved overall performance for the sports sedan. It’s expected the Forester crossover will benefit similarly, helping it stay competitive in what’s become a crowded segment.

According to Subaru, the new platform increases rigidity throughout the body and chassis, helping reduce noise and vibration while increasing the comfort level of the vehicle thanks to better absorption of the suspension. More importantly however, the platform can be adapted to use electrified powertrains. It’s possible that in order for Subaru to comply with U.S. zero emission vehicle (ZEV) regulations, the Forester could be offered with a plug-in hybrid variant once it’s launched. Expect to see downsized turbocharged engines under the hood once the new Forester debuts sometime next year.
Read more about the 2019 Subaru Forester Spied Testing on Public Roads at AutoGuide.com.

·
Registered
2017 XT
169 Posts
Looks like the Forester to me. Body lines, roof rack, skid plate, front bumper, rear spoiler all say Forester.

Not sure what size reference makes you guys think its it not?? Compared to what, the ped xing sign lol

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i CVT
613 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Premium
8 Posts
If the driver is an average sized male, then I would say this vehicle is larger than the current Forester.

The lines look like a Forester to me. Approach angle, clearance, rollover angle, departure angle and hood angle all look near the current model. Compare the roof rail thickness to the tires and the mirrors.

I think it's just a smaller driver giving the illusion over a bigger vehicle.

This is the 2014 Forester spy photo from a similar angle for comparison.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Nissan
2 Posts
I was thinking of getting a 2018 FXT until I saw the buzz that the 2019 MY might be the Forester's time to join the global platform. Does Subaru normally release this type of info at a specific event or time of year? My guess is no, but I'm hoping to get an idea of how long I should expect to be waiting to decide if I'll be holding off for the 2019 model vs picking up a 2018.

·
Premium Member
2016 XT Touring CVT
682 Posts
Someone posted (darnit) the SOJ roadmap... from what i saw, there will not be an XT... no more 2.5i... a global 1.8DIT engine... with the 2.4DIT for the Ascent... in fact... I saw someone actually say that the WRX would move down to a 1.8DIT platform...

·
Registered
2015 Nissan
2 Posts
Someone posted (darnit) the SOJ roadmap... from what i saw, there will not be an XT... no more 2.5i... a global 1.8DIT engine... with the 2.4DIT for the Ascent... in fact... I saw someone actually say that the WRX would move down to a 1.8DIT platform...
Well, that might make my decision easy - 2018 XT Touring :grin2: I'll look for that roadmap post.

I don't currently have a Subaru, but my last one was a 2006 FXT. I can't imagine not having the turbo, or at least having 250hp minimum. Imo the non-turbo doesn't have enough grunt for high altitude steep mountain roads.

·
Registered
2016 Forester
902 Posts
Damn, I hope they aren't stupid enough to pull that, if it wasn't for the XT I wouldn't have bought a Subaru. I know XT is only 10% of the sales but instantly pushing away 10% of the buyers still sounds like a stupid move, this is before accounting for WRX.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,835 Posts
Seriously? That wasn't a joke? I guess I will have to consider other cars again. A damned shame if you ask me.

Volvo, here I come.

·
Premium Member
2016 XT Touring CVT
682 Posts
Well, that might make my decision easy - 2018 XT Touring :grin2: I'll look for that roadmap post.
Can someone post a link to this SOA roadmap?!

1.Mid-2017:New XV,Minor Change Levorg(Type D),Eyesight Ver.4

2.Early 2018: New Forester,New Subaru Ascent release

3.2018 Fall: Minor change Levorg(Type E)

4.2019 Fall:Major Change Levorg、WRX,New 1.8L Engine (Replace FB25、FB16DIT、FA20DIT)

5.2020 Q1:Major change Legacy,Eyesight Ver.5,New 1.5L Engine (Replace FB20、FB16、FA20)

6.2021:SUBARU
Start to develop Electric Vehicle in Small Compact form, and will start to release in CA to begin with.

Leaked SOJ roadmap

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,835 Posts
1.Mid-2017:New XV,Minor Change Levorg(Type D),Eyesight Ver.4

2.Early 2018: New Forester,New Subaru Ascent release

3.2018 Fall: Minor change Levorg(Type E)

4.2019 Fall:Major Change Levorg、WRX,New 1.8L Engine (Replace FB25、FB16DIT、FA20DIT)

5.2020 Q1:Major change Legacy,Eyesight Ver.5,New 1.5L Engine (Replace FB20、FB16、FA20)

6.2021:SUBARU
Start to develop Electric Vehicle in Small Compact form, and will start to release in CA to begin with.

Leaked SOJ roadmap
Oh wow. I do not like what I am seeing. Not even a little.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I'd be really shocked if they killed off the XT all together. I see more of the current gen XT's on the road in any given month than all prior generation XT's I've ever seen combined.

I would definitely believe they're going to kill the 2.5 and replace it with smaller turbo engines. I wholeheartedly support this, people will get better performance and some real modding potential over the NA.

I don't read Japanese, but has anyone confirmed that roadmap is for markets other than Japan? I can't imagine them dropping the 2.0L DIT from the USA. We don't have the same displacement restrictions/taxes. But maybe they've got enough cash to develop a 1.8 DIT that outperforms the current 2.0L DIT. With throttle-less engines already catching on, and camshaft-less engines on the horizon, a drop in displacement isn't necessarily a death sentence for performance.

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT Premium CVT
366 Posts
I understand that the automakers are all working towards smaller, more efficient engines. Increased MPG is good for sales, good for our planet, and good on your wallet. Modern motors make SO much more power per inch than the famous and much larger performance motors of the past, and do it cleanly. This is good news.

But why is Subie shrinking away from it's performance side? Subaru has been a big player in Rally and street performance, all over the world, for decades. But I don't think I've ever seen a commercial for a WRX, STI, XT or BRZ. It's all dogs and kids in boring base models on boring roads in boring towns. Meanwhile in Dodge commercials you can hardly see the cars through the tire smoke.

Don't get me wrong, I love my XT because it has great headroom and visibility, gets me to work in any weather, has a nice stereo and room for all my work supplies in the back. Yeah Subaru utilitarianism! But I also love that it's steady as a rock at 120mph and holds the road like a roller coaster. They dropped the manual XT because only a small % of Foresters sold are XT's, and only a small % of those ordered were MTs. Now we're all complaining. So I won't be surprised at all when they drop the XT completely, since they don't market it at all.

And if that happens, then my '17 QBP FXT will be my last Subaru.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I understand that the automakers are all working towards smaller, more efficient engines. Increased MPG is good for sales, good for our planet, and good on your wallet. Modern motors make SO much more power per inch than the famous and much larger performance motors of the past, and do it cleanly. This is good news.

But why is Subie shrinking away from it's performance side? Subaru has been a big player in Rally and street performance, all over the world, for decades. But I don't think I've ever seen a commercial for a WRX, STI, XT or BRZ. It's all dogs and kids in boring base models on boring roads in boring towns. Meanwhile in Dodge commercials you can hardly see the cars through the tire smoke.

Don't get me wrong, I love my XT because it has great headroom and visibility, gets me to work in any weather, has a nice stereo and room for all my work supplies in the back. Yeah Subaru utilitarianism! But I also love that it's steady as a rock at 120mph and holds the road like a roller coaster. They dropped the manual XT because only a small % of Foresters sold are XT's, and only a small % of those ordered were MTs. Now we're all complaining. So I won't be surprised at all when they drop the XT completely, since they don't market it at all.

And if that happens, then my '17 QBP FXT will be my last Subaru.
I think the big reason is that Subaru doesn't have the development money necessary to maintain performance models, and meet emissions targets. Look at the larger automakers, and you see them releasing a new engine every ~1.5 generations. Subaru on the other hand kept the EJ around for a couple decades. Designing a new engine is extremely expensive, and compliance fines are also expensive, so their only option is to make boring cars or go under.

Going through the tune on my new to me 2011 FXT, I can literally see the hoops they jumped through to squeeze every last bit of emissions performance out of that engine. And even with the current DIT engine, they had to slap on a lot of emissions control equipment to help it out. Also consider the DIT pre-ignition recall, which tells me they had to run the tunes so hard to make it meet targets. Engineering a combustion chamber is extremely time consuming and expensive.

Another factor is brand dilution. As the cars stopped being so ugly and got better gas mileage, sales went up. So their response is to keep doing what made sales go up. While many of us chose the brand for performance, we are being diluted compared to the number of buyers simply interested in a road going appliance.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Im ok with them moving away from the XT model if they simply offer a H6 or turbo diesel here in the States. After owning a few Subarus now and driving an XT Forester I am really ok with them getting rid of the turbo Foz. They are great cars just a little more of a PITA to deal with. Give me an H6 Forester or a turbo diesel and I am a happy camper. Now that I am getting older and more into the overlanding world I just want something reliable but yet offers all the power I need without the need for higher octane fuel and some of the headaches that come along with owning a Subaru turbo engine.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts