Status
Not open for further replies.
221 - 240 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester
40 Posts
Noticed a few things so far

Sometimes the car takes longer than normal to crank and turn over. When this happens I tend to kill it and have to turn the key again. I'm used to hearing it crank twice and start and let off the key. Sometimes it doesn't work.

The transmission seems slow to engage at times. Back up and put it in drive and have to wait a few seconds. I learned quickly because I got small buck when I let off the brake and thought it was ready.

Also the cvt is a little jerky when you are cruising at different speeds and let off. It kinds of bucks a little when you touch the gas again. Is this normal gear ratio/cvt behavior?

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring Automatic
249 Posts
I just got a call from the service adviser who had been in further contact with Subaru. Like you apparently I had an auxiliary gauge and code scanner plugged into the OBD. They had earlier speculated that might be part of the problem and have now concluded it was probably the problem. I have not had a red light since I unplugged it. Can you confirm that the upper light is green and the lower light between the buttons is the red light. Book is not clear, saying only that red light means a problem.
Sorry to have taken so long to reply to you. I'm not sure of the nomenclature on the lights, so I just took a photo (below) of what I think is a properly functioning STARLINK panel. I hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
2,741 Posts
The transmission seems slow to engage at times. Back up and put it in drive and have to wait a few seconds. I learned quickly because I got small buck when I let off the brake and thought it was ready.
Normal. The CVT in my 2018 has the same time lag.

·
Administrator
16,900 Posts
Thread now closed

As the new model has been available for some time now and teething issues identified it is best to add any further issues to the appropriate section of the forum. This will make it easier when searching for specific issues.

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a brand new Subaru Forester 2019 purchased 2 months ago. I am running into a few usability issues that I haven't been able to get answers for:

1. Once I turn off the car, the garage door button on the rearview mirror doesn't work. This means that I would have to close the garage door and then turn off my car. This makes no sense to me. However, I was told that this is the way it is supposed to work. By the way, I paid an extra $700 for this mirror.

2. If I turn off the radio and then turn on the navigation system, the radio comes on right after the instructions from the navigation system. Sometimes when I am navigating through intricate directions I don't want the radio to turn on.

3. I don't want the automatic shutdown and startup every time I stop. There is an option to turn this feature off, but it doesn't stay off. I am now forced to start and then turn it off every time I drive. I just don't want this feature and I was told that I could turn it off but this is much too cumbersome. Is there a way to permanently turn it off?

4. The rear passenger doors don't open when I stop the car. They open only when after I open my door. I am not sure of the reason for this, because the car engine is not running.

5. To open the rear hatch, I have to first unlock all the doors. It would have been great if I could open the rear hatch by pressing just the rear hatch button (on the lower left side of the driver).

6. The setting buttons on the lower left of the driver don't show you the current state. They function only as toggles, it would have been better if the lights on the button reflected the current state.

I also had a few issues with Android auto but I am told that a software upgrade will fix those.

I find some these issues are really annoying and others I can easily live with. Let me know if you have any workarounds for these problems.

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
687 Posts
I have a brand new Subaru Forester 2019 purchased 2 months ago. I am running into a few usability issues that I haven't been able to get answers for:

1. Once I turn off the car, the garage door button on the rearview mirror doesn't work. This means that I would have to close the garage door and then turn off my car. This makes no sense to me. However, I was told that this is the way it is supposed to work. By the way, I paid an extra $700 for this mirror.

2. If I turn off the radio and then turn on the navigation system, the radio comes on right after the instructions from the navigation system. Sometimes when I am navigating through intricate directions I don't want the radio to turn on.

3. I don't want the automatic shutdown and startup every time I stop. There is an option to turn this feature off, but it doesn't stay off. I am now forced to start and then turn it off every time I drive. I just don't want this feature and I was told that I could turn it off but this is much too cumbersome. Is there a way to permanently turn it off?

4. The rear passenger doors don't open when I stop the car. They open only when after I open my door. I am not sure of the reason for this, because the car engine is not running.

5. To open the rear hatch, I have to first unlock all the doors. It would have been great if I could open the rear hatch by pressing just the rear hatch button (on the lower left side of the driver).

6. The setting buttons on the lower left of the driver don't show you the current state. They function only as toggles, it would have been better if the lights on the button reflected the current state.

I also had a few issues with Android auto but I am told that a software upgrade will fix those.

I find some these issues are really annoying and others I can easily live with. Let me know if you have any workarounds for these problems.
1. After entering garage, turn off engine only and leave the ignition on "accessory", close garage door then turn ignition off. Alternatively you could close garage door after leaving car using the regular door switch.
2. I hate built in Nav due to this type of thing, so I idon'thave it.
3. Learn to life with saving fuel and polluting less.
4. RTFM, its the child safety locks.
5. I think the key fob will open the hatch with all doors locked. Or just double click the unlock button on the fob to unlock all the doors, then use button on hatch.
6. Can't help you with this one

GD

·
Registered
364 Posts
1) By design and how most all Manufactures do this. Prevents someone from opening your garage door from your unsecured vehicle if left parked outside.

3) There's no easy way to permanently turn this off. I disabled mine, at least so I no longer need to push the button every time using this thread.

4) The door unlock behavior can be changed in settings. Unlock only drivers door, all doors, all door plus hatch, and when to unlock them. Can be unlocked either when paced in park or when drivers door is opened. There's a bug if you select driver door open as it won't unlock them all if the passenger opens their door first.

5) If you have the keyless entry FOB it will let you open a locked rear gate by pushing the button near the license plate if the FOB is on your person. Door doesn't need to be unlocked first. Else, see item 4 above.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2019 Forester touring Cvt
11 Posts
These issues you describe are all par for the course with Subaru. The auto start stop the most annoying. You should be able to turn it off completely and everyone who says it’s better for the environment we get you. But for city driving it’s absurd. The way it’s set up doesn’t even make sense. It should have a longer threshold ie why should my car shut down at a stop sign.

I’ve set the doors to all open when car stops. It works sometimes others it doesn’t.

the rear gate is super temperamental we have had issues with in not working to the point where they replaced the hardware.

I also have an issue where after a call the radio volume goes up super high. All annoying things that quality control could prevent and fix.

Don’t get me started on the rattling sounds.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
The auto start stop the most annoying. You should be able to turn it off completely and everyone who says it’s better for the environment we get you. But for city driving it’s absurd. The way it’s set up doesn’t even make sense. It should have a longer threshold ie why should my car shut down at a stop sign.
And why does Subaru call it "Auto Start / Stop". Subaru has it bass-ackwards!

·
Registered
2,741 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limitd CVT
106 Posts

1. Same for my 2015 Forester Limited. Kind of frustrating at times. If I forget to push the close button on the mirror before turning off the engine I hit the close button on the wall as I enter my home. PS: My 2020 Outback will allow me to close my garage door after engine shut-off at least until I open the driver side door. Maybe longer, not sure.

2. Same for my 2015. PITA!

3. My 2015 Forester doesn't have that annoyance but my 2020 Outback does. I'm stuck turning it off every time I start the car. For very short trips I might leave it on or turn on the rear window defrost as that cancels Start/Stop.

4. I assume you mean "Unlock." You can change what happens to door locks in the display system. There's a Setting for this. I have the doors all unlock when I shift into Park. I think there are several options in that Setting.

5. Same for having the doors unlocked when outside of the 2015 Forester. Seems like I can always open using the button next to the Steering wheel though. There may be a way to change this in Settings. My 2020 Outback has Push-Button ignition and the Rear Gate will always open when I'm outside of the car when I push the button or have the Fob in my pocket.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Base
21 Posts
These are a few things that annoyed us, on a new 2019:
  1. When you have the cruise control set on the highway, and accelerate 5 MPH to pass another vehicle, the "safety features" on the Subaru will automatically hit the brakes once you take your foot off the gas. That typically pisses off the person you just passed.
  2. After multiple visits to the dealer to fix the stereo, they replaced the original new stereo with another new one. That new stereo stunk to high heaven, of cheap plastic. We had to leave the brand new car sitting inside the garage, with the windows open for 3 days because it was snowing out.
  3. Android auto never worked properly, even though we tried many phones.
  4. The touch screen doesn't work 1/2 the time.
  5. Because Subaru elected to put the A/C vents on the side of the stereo, they blow on your head more than most cars.
  6. Wind noise from the driver's windows. I have trucks and very boxy Jeeps that are far quieter.
  7. The Bridgestone tires on many 2019-2020 Foresters tend to go flat more easily than most cars. I was going to replace the 24-year old tires on one old truck, until I noticed a flat on my wife's brand new Forester. I used the truck to transport the tire.
  8. The standard stereo doesn't handle MP3 folders well.
  9. The door hinges are so tight that the doors are difficult to close.
  10. We had to re-lubricate the hinges at 3 months old.
  11. Attached is a photo of the brakes, after our first snow storm. This was taken after driving down a long, steep hill, on a dry day. The brake pads didn't even wear off the rust. I took the wheel off to put snow tires on and saw this, on a 1 month old car. I have an 11 year old car in better shape.
  12. 531864
  13. The actual MPG is always 2MPG less than the display.
  14. On our car, the analog and digital speedometers always display different speeds. They never match.
  15. The auto stop/start feature almost completely shuts off the heater fan, which makes the car cold.
  16. It has the same effect on the defroster, which makes the windows fog.
There are many more. I just don't have the time to type everything up.
And, you are absolutely correct re: the garage door opener. Every GM & Chrysler product I've had never worked that way. We have several cars. The Forester is not the best.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Base - Magnetite Gray Metallic
183 Posts
What are these issues with Android Auto? I use it everyday with no issue.

·
Administrator
16,900 Posts
I will reopen this thread up for a short period of time - pls ask specific questions and/or discuss issues in the appropriate section of the forum - thanks. Any off-topic posts will be moved or removed.

·
Registered
206 Posts
What are these issues with Android Auto? I use it everyday with no issue.
Android Auto and Apple Carplay have lots of issues for people. Different phones, different phone software versions, different versions of Android Auto on phone, different cables etc.

Usually a phone reset or a headunit factory reset fixes most of these issues, but many users don't have the ability to do that easily so it's chalked up as a failure of Subaru in the radio design. Instead of what it really is, software growing pains.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Base - Magnetite Gray Metallic
183 Posts
Android Auto and Apple Carplay have lots of issues for people. Different phones, different phone software versions, different versions of Android Auto on phone, different cables etc.

Usually a phone reset or a headunit factory reset fixes most of these issues, but many users don't have the ability to do that easily so it's chalked up as a failure of Subaru in the radio design. Instead of what it really is, software growing pains.
Well I see what you mean, and while it is hard to find perfect software, I did have one time (after I made my earlier post) where Android Auto didn't automatically come up like it always does, but I simply unconnected my cable and reconnected and it worked. Not sure if going from Android 9 to Android 10 was the culprit but it only happened once and still working great so far.

221 - 240 of 240 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.