Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of us that are lucky enough to already have their 2019 Foresters, have you encountered any issues already? I took delivery of mine on 10/4 and it's already made a visit to the service department due to a rattling sound coming from the passenger side trunk window area. After 24 hours in service, the dealer determined I needed a new rear seat belt assembly as my existing one was the culprit of the rattling sound. Turns out this part doesn't exist yet, or at least there are none in the country yet. So now I get to wait for who knows how long with a brand new car that rattles. I still love the car though! It's a Sport with option package 22 in dark blue pearl.

·
Administrator
13,825 Posts
Be aware that if resolutions start being discussed then posts will be moved to appropriate sections of the forum.

If you need specific advice or feedback for an issue please submit posts in the appropriate section of the forum.

·
Registered
18 Posts
2019 Premium with 400some miles. I have the upgraded Starlink/MySubaru features. I can use the lock/unlock, vehicle location features, but have yet to get the remote start to work (always gets an error). I have an open ticket with Subaru right now to look into it. Hoping it wont require a dealership visit.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe
42 Posts
Hi guys,

I picked up a Sport last Saturday, completely on a whim :) Had taken my '15 Forester Premium in for an oil change and left with a Dark Blue Pearl + Code 22 upgrade. The only issue I've noticed is that it seems to have a lot of vibration in the steering wheel and some moving up my left leg. It seems a lot more noticeable when doing 65+ mph on the highway, although is still apparent at lower speeds. I brought it in to the dealer and they balanced the tires, but that didn't seem to help. I also test drove another Sport and even a Limited, which both seemed to have the same issue. Is this just how these are? I don't remember my '15 having it. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Thanks! IMG_0678.jpeg

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8504F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
17 Posts
Does anyone know how to get the "Automatically retract seat on entry" to work? This is on a '19 Touring. It's a setting on the Multi-function Display under the Driver Recognition settings.

I've selected "yes", but it does nothing. I'll call customer service if you folks have no ideas.

·
Registered
2019 Limited CVT
40 Posts
I've run into a few minor issues, but nothing I can't live with.

With the sunroof, there is a LOT of glass in this car! Even on brisk days (it's in the 40s here today), the interior warms up to the point where I'm cracking a window. I've been keeping the sunroof cover shut. The incredible visibility on this car is worth it, but it's something to be aware of if you're coming from a sedan or different SUV. This might be a significant issue in the summer.

The fuel economy display tends to overestimate by about 1 - 2 MPG. Now that I'm past my engine break-in period, realistically I'm seeing about 32 - 34 MPG highway in the hills of Pennsylvania. My normal mixed suburban / interstate commute clocks in around 27 - 28 MPG.

The ACC is more touchy than I'm used to. When traffic in front slows, the ACC seems to avoid slowing down until the last second, and then seems to brake harder than I'd like. Not enough to be unsafe, but enough to be surprising. Also, maybe this is a Subaru thing, but the ACC will not let you go over your speed by more than 5. If your ACC is set at 50 and you're going downhill, ACC will apply engine braking and then the brakes to hold you under 55. This has its pros and cons, but overall I like it.

The Harmon Kardon sound system (19 Limited with Nav) sounds great when I'm streaming from my smartphone. But when I'm listening to SXM, the bass is waaaaaaaaaay too powerful. Not in a "rattle your bones" kind of powerful, but "the crossover is set way too high" kind of powerful. Even voice (news, talk, etc) is way too bottom-heavy. I talked to the dealer and he confirmed it's a known issue with no workaround, and it applies only to SXM.

Once in a blue moon I find that Android Auto locks up. On very rare occasion, ALL of the audio cuts out until I shut down the car, exit, wait a few minutes, and return. This has only happened twice in 1700 miles and it is possible that this is operator error. If I experience this again and can collect more details, I'll post a separate thread to see if anyone else is seeing the same issue.

The WiFi hotspot is powered by AT&T. In driving around eastern PA (Allentown / Reading / Philly / Stroudsburg / Williamsport / York), I found that my T-Mobile phone gets faster and more reliable data. There have been multiple spots where AT&T drops out but T-Mobile keeps going.

Finally, after reading all the dire "the world is ending" articles lamenting the loss of the turbo, I was concerned about the lack of power. I can now confidently say that this is not an issue. There's ample power for a daily driver, and it's downright punchy in city / suburban traffic. No problems passing on the interstate, though you will hear the CVT doing its job.

All minor issues. I'm very, very happy with the car.

·
Registered
2019 Limited CVT
40 Posts
Just remembered -- there is one weird thing that annoys me:

When it rains, the design of the hood causes water to either (depending on your speed) pool in the channels running down towards the grill, or splatter up onto the windshield. Sometimes these combine forces to really annoy the driver: water pools on the hood until you get up to about 25-30, then it all starts splattering on the windshield. So now I become That Guy driving with my wipers on high when it's just a light rain.

·
Registered
541 Posts

The ACC is more touchy than I'm used to. When traffic in front slows, the ACC seems to avoid slowing down until the last second, and then seems to brake harder than I'd like. Not enough to be unsafe, but enough to be surprising.
Check your ACC distance setting (the upper left button on the right side of the steering wheel). There are 4 levels of sensitivity on how close it will follow before applying the brakes. You may either have yours set on 1, or are trying to use it for around-town traffic and not highway driving for which it is designed.

Also, maybe this is a Subaru thing, but the ACC will not let you go over your speed by more than 5. If your ACC is set at 50 and you're going downhill, ACC will apply engine braking and then the brakes to hold you under 55. This has its pros and cons, but overall I like it.
That's not a fault, that's a desirable and expected feature. Any good cruise control is meant to hold your speed to +/- 1 MPH. The combination of EyeSight's ACC with the smooth modulation of the CVT to produce engine braking makes Subaru's ACC one of the most accurate I've ever driven.

The Harmon Kardon sound system (19 Limited with Nav) sounds great when I'm streaming from my smartphone. But when I'm listening to SXM, the bass is waaaaaaaaaay too powerful. Not in a "rattle your bones" kind of powerful, but "the crossover is set way too high" kind of powerful. Even voice (news, talk, etc) is way too bottom-heavy. I talked to the dealer and he confirmed it's a known issue with no workaround, and it applies only to SXM.
Hmm, haven't noticed that with my H/K, and I listen to XM a lot. My issue is that my AM stations are 1/2 as loud as FM and XM. Very annoying when changing bands, have to constantly adjust the volume. Do you have that problem too?

Once in a blue moon I find that Android Auto locks up. On very rare occasion, ALL of the audio cuts out until I shut down the car, exit, wait a few minutes, and return. This has only happened twice in 1700 miles and it is possible that this is operator error. If I experience this again and can collect more details, I'll post a separate thread to see if anyone else is seeing the same issue.
Here's a handy trick buried in the manual -- The entire infotainment system can be rebooted even while you're driving, in case anything malfunctions. I've successfully rebooted it 2 or 3 times where the system simply wouldn't see my Android Auto connection. To do this, press and HOLD the volume/power knob for 10 FULL SECONDS. Don't let go when you see the screen turn black after 4 seconds -- keep holding until the screen physically turns off after 10 seconds. Then after a few seconds to reboot, press the Home button to turn the screen back on. Works every time things get wonky.

Finally, after reading all the dire "the world is ending" articles lamenting the loss of the turbo, I was concerned about the lack of power. I can now confidently say that this is not an issue. There's ample power for a daily driver, and it's downright punchy in city / suburban traffic. No problems passing on the interstate, though you will hear the CVT doing its job.
100% concur

·
Registered
541 Posts
Just remembered -- there is one weird thing that annoys me:

When it rains, the design of the hood causes water to either (depending on your speed) pool in the channels running down towards the grill, or splatter up onto the windshield. Sometimes these combine forces to really annoy the driver: water pools on the hood until you get up to about 25-30, then it all starts splattering on the windshield. So now I become That Guy driving with my wipers on high when it's just a light rain.
OMG, that happened to me yesterday when I pulled out of work and didn't know where all the water came from. Had to quickly turn on my wipers to see. Now that I realize this is "feature", I'll be prepared for it next time. Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe
42 Posts
Hi guys,

I picked up a Sport last Saturday, completely on a whim :) Had taken my '15 Forester Premium in for an oil change and left with a Dark Blue Pearl + Code 22 upgrade. The only issue I've noticed is that it seems to have a lot of vibration in the steering wheel and some moving up my left leg. It seems a lot more noticeable when doing 65+ mph on the highway, although is still apparent at lower speeds. I brought it in to the dealer and they balanced the tires, but that didn't seem to help. I also test drove another Sport and even a Limited, which both seemed to have the same issue. Is this just how these are? I don't remember my '15 having it. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Thanks! View attachment 496549

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8504F using Tapatalk

Just an update:

I took the car back to the dealer and asked them to do a road force balance. Hopefully that fixes the problem. If not, then either it’s the car and I need to get used to it, or its something else :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts

The ACC is more touchy than I'm used to. When traffic in front slows, the ACC seems to avoid slowing down until the last second, and then seems to brake harder than I'd like. Not enough to be unsafe, but enough to be surprising.
There is also a setting on how aggressively the ACC will respond. I have my set to the most aggressive now, but I will probably tone it done as it is too aggressive for me in acceleration and braking. Normal is about right, but I want to try all the setting over a couple of days.

The only 2 issues I have had is the USB port not recognizing my phone, and the module that controls the rear lift gate had to be reset by service after trying to set the seat memory. Not sure what exactly caused it, but a reset fixed it. The USB may take a while to resolve.

Otherwise, I agree that the power is adequate, the ride is smooth, and I really like it so far.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe
42 Posts
Just an update:

I took the car back to the dealer and asked them to do a road force balance. Hopefully that fixes the problem. If not, then either it’s the car and I need to get used to it, or its something else :)

Got car back. They dialed in tires to less than 10lbs each. That said, I’m still feeling a vibration north of 50+. Bummer.

·
Registered
327 Posts
The fuel economy display tends to overestimate by about 1 - 2 MPG. Now that I'm past my engine break-in period, realistically I'm seeing about 32 - 34 MPG highway in the hills of Pennsylvania. My normal mixed suburban / interstate commute clocks in around 27 - 28 MPG.
What's the deal with Forester people complaining about this. Does anyone know of an accurate one?

·
Registered
2019 Limited CVT
40 Posts
Exactly. My Hyundai Sonata Turbo ran about 3-5 MPG high, my wife's Civic is within 1 MPG, so I consider the Forester to be within reason. At 1800 miles it's a little too early to tell, but I'll be ecstatic if it's consistent.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
595 Posts
The only 2 issues I have had is the USB port not recognizing my phone, and the module that controls the rear lift gate had to be reset by service after trying to set the seat memory. Not sure what exactly caused it, but a reset fixed it. The USB may take a while to resolve.
I also had the issue with the lift gate needing to be reset. It’s worked perfectly since. I have no idea what caused the issue, but I know it worked immediately after I got the car home, because I opened the gate to remove the floor mats. A couple of days later, all I’d get is a rapid succession of short beeps when trying to open the liftgate.

Works perfectly now.

1 - 20 of 240 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.