Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Editorial Content
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The 2019 Subaru Forester has been presented at the 2018 New York International Auto Show with some expectedly reserved styling.

Subaru may not be setting the internet alight with the Forester’s styling, but the crossover is improved in ways that returning Forester buyers, of which there are many, will genuinely appreciate. It rides on the Subaru Global Platform that also serves in the Impreza and Crosstrek, which has contributed to reduced road noise and an altogether more comfortable ride. The new platform also enabled the Forester to grow in length from to 105.1 inches from 103.9 inches, making for additional rear seat legroom.
Read more about 2019 Subaru Forester Breaks Cover and it Looks the Same at AutoGuide.com.

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT Premium CVT
366 Posts
"Crossover"? Is it part-time AWD now? FWD-only option? In 2014 we were Motor Trend's SUV of the Year.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i CVT
613 Posts
Forester has always been a CUV Crossover. Unibody economy compact car platform based. Has nothing to do with AWD system.

Crosover / CUV: excludes truck the truck frame rugged SUV's.
SUV: doesn't exclude the unibody crossovers.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Forester has always been a CUV Crossover. Unibody economy compact car platform based. Has nothing to do with AWD system.

Crosover / CUV: excludes truck the truck frame rugged SUV's.
SUV: doesn't exclude the unibody crossovers.
Ah, I see. I always took CUVs to be tall ugly economy cars with an option for AWD (but FWD as standard). That's okay, I never thought of my Forester as an SUV anyway - I refer to it as my car.

I don't mind the looks of the 2019 model - looks like any nice wagon or CUV aimed at young middle-class families or senior citizens. But taking away the MT option hurts. And the performance themed XT... sad. But the bean counters and lawyers run car companies now, so everything's moving to ho-hum.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Premium
154 Posts
I'm glad we bought the 2018 XT Premium. The only thing I feel I'm missing out on is CarPlay, and that can be added aftermarket.

·
Registered
2018 XT Touring CVT
1,312 Posts
I'm glad we bought the 2018 XT Premium. The only thing I feel I'm missing out on is CarPlay, and that can be added aftermarket.
Yes, you can always get more advanced systems aftermarket.

CarPlay/AndroidAuto will not be the last word in tech, no reason to buy a car based on that.

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
649 Posts
Not quite nothing

No more hand brake.

New, incredibly annoying start-stop tech.

And flappy paddles, because nothing says "I'm an idiot" like pretending to shift a CVT in a low-HP family car.
Pretending to shift a CVT in a high-HP family car might say "I'm an idiot" even better.

GD

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring cvt
1,097 Posts
Pretending to shift a CVT in a high-HP family car might say "I'm an idiot" even better.

GD

Huh. I have a FXT, and I use “shifting” for two things:
1) to pass quickly, like on a two lane road with traffic, pop the SI drive into “S” , then shift down one. It goes like a scalded dog. Really a nice ability.
2) in the mountains on long downhills and curvy slopes, use the paddles to engage engine braking and downshifts when needed. This also works well. Up until 2018 the NA had no paddles and could not effectively use engine braking.

Trying to use the CVT like a real transmission doesn’t work. But the above is really useful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring cvt
1,097 Posts
Come now, other brands going to 10-speed autos doesn't resemble CVT-envy???

Well, no. A CVT is what it is, which is not a transmission designed for driver enjoyment or input. It’s an appliance better suited for mopeds or snowmobiles.
Auto makers are adopting it, like other features designed to achieve better mpg but kill driving enjoyment. Cheaper for them, worse for us.

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
723 Posts
No more hand brake.
Which will be a deal breaker for me. Imho, electronic hand brakes are dangerous as they are either on or off. There is no ability to apply brakes gradually in an emergency.

Gentle hand braking is also handy off-road to pull the rear into line when, for example, going downhill and the rear begins to step sideways on corrugations, etc.

And flappy paddles, because nothing says "I'm an idiot" like pretending to shift a CVT in a low-HP family car.
Being able to select and hold a low gear is very useful on long downhill runs and when towing.

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5 Touring
42 Posts
I don't understand why they re-introduced the bulging fenders, coupled with the optional OEM fender trim. For that matter, there's no telling yet whether that fender trim is standard now, or still an option. I suspect it's standard equipment going forward.

Personally, I think the wheel arch trim (or cladding, or whatever you want to call it) looks great on the current model Forester. And it's necessary, because the oddly sculpted fender design is an expensive ding magnet. Granted, the trim itself was a costly dealer-installed option, but we did it anyway, and it looks right, particularly coupled with the optional body side molding.

Look, I'm no Subaru enthusiast even though we love our Forester. It's only 6 months old, and it was our first. I suspect it will be our last.

Also, I genuinely think Subaru's CVT implementation in the Forester is pretty darn good. It's the first CVT that I don't actually hate. But there's no amount of Kool-Aid in the world to convince me there's any purpose to pretending to shift a CVT. Maybe it's fun for some people, but from a practical and mechanical perspective, it's just colossally stupid. Hard stop. Someone here made a good point about managing the transmission for engine braking when towing downhill... and that's a good point I suppose. Someone also made a point about manually "downshifting" the CVT for passing performance, and that made me LOL. :lol:

It's a big tent. Opinions are free.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Also, I genuinely think Subaru's CVT implementation in the Forester is pretty darn good. It's the first CVT that I don't actually hate. But there's no amount of Kool-Aid in the world to convince me there's any purpose to pretending to shift a CVT. Maybe it's fun for some people, but from a practical and mechanical perspective, it's just colossally stupid. Hard stop. Someone here made a good point about managing the transmission for engine braking when towing downhill... and that's a good point I suppose. Someone also made a point about manually "downshifting" the CVT for passing performance, and that made me LOL. :lol:
True there are no "gears" to shift. But the paddles let you control the RPM range you're in, and that is the whole point of them. You can keep the engine speed up for towing, passing, down-hilling, etc.. I don't like the CVT or the paddle shifters at all, but it was the only option.

When it blows up I will be installing a MT at 1/2 the price of a CVT.

·
Registered
2015 Forester
109 Posts
I missed the part about the electric hand brake???? Not good, IMHO. Maybe cause I dont understand them and how they work. Anyone know how they work with a dead battery or if they fail? I am an old foggie. 12 more horses? fine. Longer? Fine. Untouched engine? Fine. Dont understand the new world platform. Is that saying the Unibody was changed? Looks like they are not offering Nav on lower trims again. Big mistake when going up against other SUVs.

Bottom line for me. I love my 2018.

For my wife whose 2015 was hit by a dump truck but the Perp's insurance company lied to the Carfax people and said the rails werent bent, she has a decision to make. Trade her '15 with 60K on the clock (14,000 trade in value) in on a new 2018 (500 below invoice) or wait and drive the now fixed 2015 till she needs a new Forester.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yikes...
Truthfully I still enjoy rowing the gears on my Honda Accord, that came with a handbrake.

I suppose if I want a Forester and stick shift, I'd better jump on one before that option is gone entirely, in Canada. I'm not sure how I'd feel going to a CVT with noticeably less acceleration.

Speaking of handbrake, I actually had to use it years ago, when my Nissan Maxima brakes completely failed. It was very useful to be able to apply just enough pressure with the handbrake, to slow down at stop lights on my way to the car mechanic. 4-way flashers going, it was an experience.
How would that scenario have played out with an electronic ebrake? I likely would have had to pull over immediately and call a tow truck.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 XT
169 Posts
No more hand brake.

New, incredibly annoying start-stop tech.

Yea start-stop is annoying, but at least it gives you the option now.

Think E-brake is the only way they can incorporate AVH (auto vehicle hold). Hallelujah

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.0XT H-CVT
363 Posts
Huh. I have a FXT, and I use “shifting” for two things:
1) to pass quickly, like on a two lane road with traffic, pop the SI drive into “S” , then shift down one. It goes like a scalded dog. Really a nice ability.
2) in the mountains on long downhills and curvy slopes, use the paddles to engage engine braking and downshifts when needed. This also works well. Up until 2018 the NA had no paddles and could not effectively use engine braking.

Trying to use the CVT like a real transmission doesn’t work. But the above is really useful.

Also I'll add
3) (for the folk that take their XT's on offroad adventures) Pop your H-CVT into manual mode by moving the shifter to the left, aka the M-position, and put your SI-drive into S#, your transmission will no longer auto up shift even if you redline it. This can be especially useful to power up something or climb a sand dune.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts