Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if this is 1 1/4 inch or 2 inch hitch. Also any one has this installed and use for 1up Bike rack. Trying to decide between this and Ecohitch. It is mentioned that Curt and Drawtite bolt on with visible bars may compromise safety crumple zones.
Any input appreciated.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Touring Auto-CVT
285 Posts
It's 1 1/4". Get the 2" Ecohitch for versatility. I have the Drawtite Class III. Don't know what people's beef is. It barely shows but I do not off-road so approach angle isn't an issue. Never heard that it compromises the crumple zones and I've had hitches for years.

Incidentally, I have the One UP and love it but my first go around was with it on a Class II hitch and it bounced too much for my comfort. YMMV

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
475 Posts
From Subaru of Canada:

Subaru and Ecohitch connect to bumper connection points.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
97 Posts
I got the Ecohitch; it was expensive, but looks and works great. Definitely go for a 2” hitch for versatility and stability.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited CVT
42 Posts
I have the stock Subaru hitch on my 2019. As others have said, it's 1 1/4". It's a very clean look and I like it. Most hitch accessories are available in 1 1/4" and if I ever need something that's 2" only, I can get a 1 1/4" to 2" adapter for like $20. I mostly went this route because I negotiated the hitch in as part of my purchase price, but I don't regret the decision. One small downside (if you can call it that) is that the stock hitch blocks the screw in port for the rear towing eye. But if you have a hitch you can use that as a recovery point and really don't need the tow eye. Not sure if the after market ones do the same. Based on where they mount it wouldn't appear as such.

I'd see what the cost difference is between the two and base most of your decision on that.

Keep in mind no matter what class hitch you install, the 2019 is only rated for 1,500 lbs max towing and 176 lbs max tongue weight. Choose trailers, cargo loads, and accessories carefully.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
558 Posts
Does anyone know if this is 1 1/4 inch or 2 inch hitch. Also any one has this installed and use for 1up Bike rack. Trying to decide between this and Ecohitch. It is mentioned that Curt and Drawtite bolt on with visible bars may compromise safety crumple zones.
Any input appreciated.
I installed the 2" ecohitch myself and use the 1up bike rack. I'm pleased with both.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts