Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Forester that just started itself multiple times while sitting in a garage. This happened at four times that I know of. It begins with a beep, then starts. Run's for about a minute before shutting itself off. Couple of minutes later it repeated. I moved the key fob's at least 50 ft away and it still happened. I had to disconnect the battery to stop it. What could cause this?

·
Registered
2018 Forester CVT
160 Posts
Check that key fob again just in case there is some debris (lint,crumbs etc) may be sticking the the button. The password change is also a good idea at least it rules that out. Also the battery in the fob not sure what size it is maybe pick up a fresh one.
Lou Cioccio

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
879 Posts
I wonder if it's possible for someone else's starlink account be mistakenly linked by Subaru to the OP's car?

My salesperson insisted on setting my account up and made a mess of it. Remote wouldn't start my car initially, but a call to Starlink later that week got it working. I didn't ask what they did.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the idea's. I never did create a Starlink account. When I tried too, after your suggestions, the VIN was attached to another person's account. So I believe the Starlink might be the cause. Anyways, the car is now at the dealer with them trying to figure out how to clear up this problem. It really begs the question of Subaru's security. It does show you how important it is to register and secure your subaru account.

·
Super Moderator
2018 X3 M40i / 2016 X3 xDrive35i
1,625 Posts
hahaha this is exactly what I did when someone used my email address for a Lexus. I logged in and remote started it a bunch. That'll teach em!

·
Registered
82 Posts
From recent experience, all you need to sign-up a car for StarLink appears to be the VIN.

And those are super hard to guess. </sarcasm>

·
Registered
2018 Forester CVT
160 Posts
Funny that you brought that up about the account being tied to another person/vehicle per vin number. When I bought my Forester the dealer set it but the odd thing it was tied to the wife’s email that I never gave Or mentioned. When I called to STARLINK to straighten it is when I discovered that it was link to wife’s Verizon dsl email that we no longer had! In fact the wife has a 2013 Escape and had a Ford Sync account when we had DSL so it makes me wonder STARLINK and Sync could be related?
Lou Cioccio

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
879 Posts
T
When I bought my Forester the dealer set it but the odd thing it was tied to the wife’s email that I never gave Or mentioned.
That's interesting and a bit unnerving. When I bought my Forester, my wife, oddly enough, got a few emails from the salesperson. I'd not shared her address and this was our first Subaru, so there was no reason for her to be in the system.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
900 Posts
My wife purchased a new 2015 special-order Outback in 2014. A year later, I special ordered a 2016 Forester. Even tho I gave the dealership MY personal info, every correspondence meant for me came to her email. When I traded that Forester for a new special-order 2019 Forester Touring, I was assured the problems would be corrected in the ordering process.

Well, as you’ve probably guessed, they weren’t. I practically had to threaten to rescind the sale in order to get it fixed, and even then, I had to spend an hour or more on the phone with Subaru NA and Starlink to get it corrected.

Evidently, the problems come in when the dealership forwards the buyer‘s info to Subaru NA, and at least back in 2018, no one at the dealership level seemed to know just how to get a successful resolution from Subaru NA. I chalked it up to a rushed/poorly designed data entry system that got so wrapped up in security requirements and concerns that little to no thought was ever given to legitimate account changes and modifications.

All that being stated, I did eventually get it corrected, and it’s worked just fine ever since.

I will say, tho, that getting an incorrect (yet valid VIN) on the incorrect account does raise some significant concerns... After all, people buy, sell, and trade vehicles all the time...

It was bound to happen eventually...

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
900 Posts
Thanks for the idea's. I never did create a Starlink account. When I tried too, after your suggestions, the VIN was attached to another person's account. So I believe the Starlink might be the cause. Anyways, the car is now at the dealer with them trying to figure out how to clear up this problem. It really begs the question of Subaru's security. It does show you how important it is to register and secure your subaru account.
That’s an excellent point made in the last sentence!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Even tho I gave the dealership MY personal info, every correspondence meant for me came to her email.
When I bought my '21 a couple weeks ago, the loan (financed through Chase Bank DBA Subaru Motor Finance) automatically appeared in the Chase website account that I have for my Amazon credit card. I used different email addresses for Subaru vs Amazon vs Chase, so they must have automatically cross-referenced by SSN or street address or something. It was... unsettling.

Reactions: Silvara7

·
Registered
62 Posts
I wonder if it's possible for someone else's starlink account be mistakenly linked by Subaru to the OP's car?

My salesperson insisted on setting my account up and made a mess of it. Remote wouldn't start my car initially, but a call to Starlink later that week got it working. I didn't ask what they did.
When my Starlink account was first set up - it showed and referred to both my jasper green 2019 Forester, and that of another crystal white 2019 Forester. Both VIN's were displayed. It appeared I had access to start the other vehicle, but I did not try. I called support and they took the information, and was soon called back by an IT manager who appeared to be very concerned and fixed it quickly. The other car disappeared from the account. An odd side effect was that I still get occasional emails referring to navigation software updates for the crystal white Forester (I don't have navigation). Those include the first name of the other owner, but no VIN. I have not had any unintended starts, however.

@richjacobson should change the password immediately, verify that the Starlink account only shows the correct VIN, check the start history page to see the date and times listed - and contact support. Changing the password probably would not help if there actually is another user with access, since that would be a separate account.

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
684 Posts
A couple of months ago, we were out, while my ‘19 was home sleeping in the garage. I got a text from Starlink that my start request was successful. Obviously I hadn’t requested it. I sent a shutdown request which was successful. I’ve never had another issue like that, I don’t know it the car had actually started or not, but I’ve seen that once.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts