Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy! Was wondering if anyone came across the way to get the USB files to update non navigation foresters. I don’t have the WiFi option in my 2019 limited trim, and the dealership said it would cost like 300 dollars to update.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Figure out which radio you have based on the TSB (technical service bulletin)… then get the appropriate one linked …

Communication Device Font Gadget Portable communications device Screenshot

these are the current release - December 2020 release. the firmware will read Rel_UA.19.38.70 once updated, even for navigation units. This is a firmware only update, no maps included for navigation units.

December 2020 Software Update:

Base

Base Plus or Mid

High

originally posted over at subaruoutback

EDIT: corrected the firmware version number.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2019 Subaru Forester Limited CVT
293 Posts
Whaaaa? $300 to stick a thumb drive in your USB port seems a little rich to me. Especially for a forester that is still under warranty. I have no idea why they are trying to charge you for something like that. Is your radio giving you any troubles? @Move Zig has kindly provided the files so you can do it yourself. Just make sure your thumb drive is freshly formatted and the only thing on it is the update file.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yeah the volume knob is a little jumpy! Like if you turn it one click it will sometimes jump from like 10 to 30, or actually go down before jumping to max volume. The steering wheel button works fine though, so I’m hoping it isn’t hardware. Thanks so much! I’ll give this a shot 😎

·
Registered
141 Posts
If you look at the TSB instructions, you copy the entire folder named “update” to the root of the USB drive… the archives appear to have that as one directory down… so just copy that directory (“update”) over to the root and you should be fine.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium CVT
17 Posts
My 2019 Premium Forester had the jumpy volume knob as well. The latest firmware update did fix it. My dealer did the update during an oil change. The car is under warranty and of course the update was free. I did have to tell him the radio was having issues - they won't do the update "just because there is one". I used the word "wonky", though "janky" is good too.

·
Registered
2021, Forester Touring
3 Posts
these are the current release - December 2020 release. the firmware will read Rel_UA.19.36.70 once updated, even for navigation units.
Just a datapoint, I bought my 2021 Forester Touring last month, and the firmware reads Rel_UA.20.38.70

·
Registered
141 Posts
Just a datapoint, I bought my 2021 Forester Touring last month, and the firmware reads Rel_UA.20.38.70
Dang, you’re right. I was tired when I posted that number. The middle number is 38…. That’s for the week in the year when it was packaged… so 2020, week 38. Then it shows up on the site a few weeks after that.

Good catch!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Also, for the NAV units, the firmware number changes with a map update from the subaru-maps website… those updates always have the update directory along with the maps, and will apply whatever the latest firmware is… and the number will change when you install it with the map update (there is no option for that, you get maps and firmware)…. So the map self update firmware version numbers that display are:

REL_UA.20.41.70
REL_UH.21.13.70

Both those are still the update #5 firmware that’s the latest available to the dealer, they just identify when/how they were released/applied.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts