Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
New to the forum and Subaru and I have a few questions about my 2019 Forester Premium:

Starlink only seems to work reliably when my iPhone is tethered, should it work without it being tethered?

The red/green lights on the upper console next to the SOS button are sometimes green and sometimes red, the dealer has replaced the DCM and the RX/TX but problem still exists. Any ideas?

Thanks again for the help, I like the car but Starlink seems to be a problem child.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi all,
New to the forum and Subaru and I have a few questions about my 2019 Forester Premium:

Starlink only seems to work reliably when my iPhone is tethered, should it work without it being tethered?

The red/green lights on the upper console next to the SOS button are sometimes green and sometimes red, the dealer has replaced the DCM and the RX/TX but problem still exists. Any ideas?

Thanks again for the help, I like the car but Starlink seems to be a problem child.
Yes, it should work without being tethered. No ideas, sorry. Mine has always worked fine as far as I know.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I had some difficulty with my STARLINK system staying connected for the first few weeks I had my 2019 Touring. I had a “Automatic” OBD-II dongle attached to the diagnostic port. When I removed that, the connectivity problems went away. Is there anything attached to your car’s OBD-II port?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I had some difficulty with my STARLINK system staying connected for the first few weeks I had my 2019 Touring. I had a “Automatic” OBD-II dongle attached to the diagnostic port. When I removed that, the connectivity problems went away. Is there anything attached to your car’s OBD-II port?
I also have a 2019 Touring and bought the additional 3 yrs subscription to STARLINK. I found out in manual my iPhone model 4s isn’t supported and now waiting on a 7s+ to be delivered to get started setting up. The On-board diagnostic dongle Is that a Subaru shop tool forgotten and left behind by a tech?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hi all,

You did not mention Bluetooth in your post. You must sync your phones Bluetooth connection to use phone features such as listening to music, Pandora etc. without tethering.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is something plugged into my OBD II port, my insurance company sent it to me. Its some type of monitor. I will remove it and see if the problem goes away. Thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts
I keep getting emails from Subaru saying my Starlink light is on. Based on posts here, I can guess it has to be a result of keeping a Scan Guage II connected to the OBD receptacle. I have an appointment at Subaru tomorrow to have the rear view mirror with Homelink installed. It was ordered that way but a screw-up occurred. I’ll ask about the Starlink nuisance mail. This was not an issue with the 2017 model.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The Starlink instructions that I read said that iPhones need to be USB connected for it to work. Think it was the setup when I first set it up.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I keep getting emails from Subaru saying my Starlink light is on. Based on posts here, I can guess it has to be a result of keeping a Scan Guage II connected to the OBD receptacle. I have an appointment at Subaru tomorrow to have the rear view mirror with Homelink installed. It was ordered that way but a screw-up occurred. I’ll ask about the Starlink nuisance mail. This was not an issue with the 2017 model.
My experience, and the experience of several others here in the forum, is that STARLINK is not happy if anything is connected to the OBD-II port. In every case I’ve read, removing the dongle from the OBD-II port resolves the connectivity problem.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The Starlink instructions that I read said that iPhones need to be USB connected for it to work. Think it was the setup when I first set it up.
iPhone does not need to be connected via USB port except to use Apple car play. I can use voice calling/texting and listen to my phone’s pandora or Spotify. All via Bluetooth.

·
Registered
78 Posts
While at Dyer Subaru this morning getting the correct rear view mirror installed, I asked the service manager re the periodic emails received from Subaru saying my Starlink light was on. His response was that it was very likely caused by the Scan Guage II plugged into the OBD receptacle. He also reported that some 2019 folks had noted Check Engine lights associated with some hardware plugged into the OBD port.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well, the frequency of the emails from. Subaru has increased to every other day or so. Everything else re the new car has been fine....until last night.

Driving on a major road westward toward I-95 with cruise control on. No traffic. All of a sudden, the front display stopped showing MPH and instead showed the word EyeSight with a diagonal stroke thru it. The cruise control shut off simultaneously and the vehicle slowed rapidly, until I added throttle to get back to speed. There were a number of advisory lights in the overhead area that had illuminated as well. Unfortunately I had a pickup to make at PBI so I couldn’t stop and troubleshoot.

Sent an email to Scan Guage early this morning and a snail mail letter to SOA with an expanded description of the event. Is it possible that Subaru can remotely shut down EyeSight...?? That advisory disappeared after a minute or two, without my doing anything to accomplish it.

After getting on I-95 South and in an area with scant traffic, I re-engaged cruise control and it functioned normally.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Peja, the night was almost clear, with some scattered cumulus. Moon hadn’t risen yet. Roads dry. The adaptive cruise control had previously worked like my 2017 touring ( but there was no traffic on this road at the time to bring that sub-feature into play ). I’d remind that as cited in post #12, the service supervisor at Dyer Subaru had told me there had been check engine lights associated with an OBD readout system being plugged into the OBD port. I’m wondering how much and how detailed the 2019 software load testing was. I mean, they have already admitted via the emails that having an outside reader plugged in has interrupted the emergency services functionality. The considerations could be wider, depending on the system architecture. For instance can an OBD readout plugged in result in the lane assist or brake application sub systems to operate abnormally?

Forgot to mention: sent an expanded description of this event to SOA via regular mail. Think I’ll send a copy of that to my dealer, just to prevent them getting blind-sided.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
8 Participants
johndixs
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing