Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Today, I received an email from Subaru that a map update was available. I installed it. At this time, since we have no trips planned, I can't say whether the update is good or bad, but it is an update.

What may be troubling, the car still shows that it is using a 2017 base map. The update that I just installed may update the road information to 2019. For example, if a new road was constructed in 2018, will it be shown with this update?
Steve,

I do not know how the map versioning works between TomTom and Subaru but I just did this latest update and can confirm that changes to the interstate near me that opened last fall are indeed included in this update. I did not think to check the previous version for the same changes so I can not say if this is new for this update. I also looked at the TomTom site and their version numbers are very different so it is difficult to compare.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I updated my Touring earlier today with the latest release. All appears to be successful so far. Took around 30-40 minutes to go thru all 9 update phases.

Just FYI.. Phase 8 took the longest time to complete, with some periods of a few moments of no visible progress on the screen... just be patient...

·
Registered
19 Posts
We've tried the process on PC and on a Mac, with the same result on both.

We downloaded and installed Map Downloader on each computer from portal, then downloaded the Map Update on each computer.

It then tells us to "Install to USB Drive." We have USB drive in USB port on each computer, but we get message on both computers that the program doesn't see a USB drive.

Both computers recognize the USB drives, both drives are empty and formatted, both have more than enough capacity, and both drives have worked with other programs.

We can't understand how to get past the point of downloading the update, but not being able to get the update installed to a USB drive on either a PC or a Mac,

Any help would be really appreciated.

·
Registered
41 Posts
We've tried the process on PC and on a Mac, with the same result on both.

We downloaded and installed Map Downloader on each computer from portal, then downloaded the Map Update on each computer.

It then tells us to "Install to USB Drive." We have USB drive in USB port on each computer, but we get message on both computers that the program doesn't see a USB drive.

Both computers recognize the USB drives, both drives are empty and formatted, both have more than enough capacity, and both drives have worked with other programs.

We can't understand how to get past the point of downloading the update, but not being able to get the update installed to a USB drive on either a PC or a Mac,

Any help would be really appreciated.
Have you tired formatting the USB flash drive you are going to use? I had a similar experience yesterday & after I formatted the flash drive as FAT 32, it worked for me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have you tired formatting the USB flash drive you are going to use? I had a similar experience yesterday & after I formatted the flash drive as FAT 32, it worked for me.
Thank you Sparky.:)

Yes, we formatted and re-formatted both. Prior to re-formatting we checked to see if we could put any other files on each drive, and both worked without a problem.

It's puzzling that the map update program says it doesn't even see a USB memory device on either the PC or the Mac.

Really hoping to get this figured out.:)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thank you Sparky.:)

Yes, we formatted and re-formatted both. Prior to re-formatting we checked to see if we could put any other files on each drive, and both worked without a problem.

It's puzzling that the map update program says it doesn't even see a USB memory device on either the PC or the Mac.

Really hoping to get this figured out.:)
I fought similar issues yesterday with mine. Be sure to follow the instructions fully. The data needs to be fully downloaded to the computer BEFORE inserting the usb drive.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I fought similar issues yesterday with mine. Be sure to follow the instructions fully. The data needs to be fully downloaded to the computer BEFORE inserting the usb drive.
Thank you jmw15.:)

As far as we can tell, the download has completed onto the computer. We wait for the prompt to Install to USB Memory Device, then insert flash drive, but program says it can't see flash drive.

The other thing that we noticed is that when we do a search on our computer for the update Rel_UE.19.25.70 NAFTA, it doesn't even show up on the computer.

We'll keep plugging away, and thank you again!:)

·
Registered
364 Posts
Just a suggestion... try disabling any anti-virus protection software, then enter the Subaru map update program and see if it will then see the USB drive.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thank you jmw15.:)

As far as we can tell, the download has completed onto the computer. We wait for the prompt to Install to USB Memory Device, then insert flash drive, but program says it can't see flash drive.

The other thing that we noticed is that when we do a search on our computer for the update Rel_UE.19.25.70 NAFTA, it doesn't even show up on the computer.

We'll keep plugging away, and thank you again!:)
Another thought is the size of the USB drive, the one I use is 16G. I am not sure if there is a limit for the downloader utility but I do recall seeing some limitations for the HU so maybe the downloader has these same limitations knowing that larger drives will not work. The files are downloaded in "chunks" so if the downloader fails it only has to download the remaining "chunks" when it is restarted. This means that you will not find a file on the computer with the name of the update. If you want to find the location of the files click on the little wrench or settings icon in the top right of the downloader app and it will then show the location of the downloads.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Another thought is the size of the USB drive, the one I use is 16G. I am not sure if there is a limit for the downloader utility but I do recall seeing some limitations for the HU so maybe the downloader has these same limitations knowing that larger drives will not work. The files are downloaded in "chunks" so if the downloader fails it only has to download the remaining "chunks" when it is restarted. This means that you will not find a file on the computer with the name of the update. If you want to find the location of the files click on the little wrench or settings icon in the top right of the downloader app and it will then show the location of the downloads.
Thank you gumbobtr!:)

Flash drives are 32GB and full format was done on both for PC and Mac.

We looked at gear icon to see where download was going, but we only see Map Downloader and folder labelled YWQxeUBob3RtYWlsLmNvbQ==

Frustrating.

But thank you again.:)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Flash drives are 32GB and full format was done on both for PC and Mac.
If you have a 16G give it a try. Also maybe on the MAC take a look at the USB drive using Disk Utilities and make sure that there is a single partition on the USB drive and that the partition is set to Master Boot Record.

We looked at gear icon to see where download was going, but we only see Map Downloader and folder labelled YWQxeUBob3RtYWlsLmNvbQ==
Did you look in this folder? The files should be there but again the firmware file is broken into chunks. On my system it is broken up into 119 chunks so without the downloader utility there is nothing that can be done with them. On my MAC there is a folder called "Map Downloader" in my user folder with a name similar to what you posted and in there are the various firmware downloads that I have done.

Frustrating.

But thank you again.:)
Understand and you are welcome.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks again gumbobtr.

As it turns out, we got through to Subaru Customer Support and they told us they have heard about this issue and it appears the program is "fussy" about the brand of flash drive!

They told us the recommended brands of flash drive are SanDisk, Kingston and Transcend. We told them we were using SanDisk. They told us to try a different SanDisk. We did, and lo and behold the install worked!

Car updated without a hitch thereafter.:)

Thanks again for all the help!

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Observations on the new map update:
  1. The Subaru Maps website urged me to first download their Map Downloader app, even though I had it already installed on my PC. Was this a new version? No way to tell, so I downloaded and installed it.
  2. Run Map Downloader, and it wants to download the map update. No problem there. This took maybe 20 minutes on a 50 Mbps connection.
  3. Map Downloader now wants to load the files onto the USB drive. I note some folks have had difficulty with this. I used a Lexar 32GB USB 3.0 drive, and it worked on the first try. It did take almost two hours to transfer the files to the USB drive, though. This was the longest portion of the process.
  4. I waited until I had a longish drive beginning before attempting the install in my 2019 Touring. I started up the car, plugged in the USB drive, and the process started immediately. I timed it. Start to finish, 21 minutes, 20 seconds.
I don’t use the Subaru nav very often, typically relying on Google Maps running off of my hardwired Phone. Prior to the map update, I noticed that the dash clock was off by seven hours. A brief check of the Subaru nav revealed some more problems. There was an icon and direction of travel on screen, but no roads showing. An attempt to use voice commands to navigate returned “Address search is not enabled for this country.” I wonder what country it thinks we’re in?

Post-update, the dash clock showed the correct time, the nav worked properly, and voice navigation search worked, where it hadn’t before.

I’ll probably continue to use mainly Google Maps, but it’s good to know that the native nav works now.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Out of curiosity, how many of you received an email from Subaru announcing the availability of this update?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I did NOT receive an email. I'm thankful for the Map updates but this is becoming time consuming for something that should be automatically updating via WiFi.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Out of curiosity, how many of you received an email from Subaru announcing the availability of this update?
+1 here.

If folks are registered and not receiving updates they might want to login to the portal then go to their profile settings and confirm that email notifications are enabled.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts
About this Discussion
53 Replies
18 Participants
Jman42
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing