Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just bought a 2019 Subaru Forester Limited with Navigation. Slowly going through the manual. One of the first items of course, is updating the map (page 195). Of course the information is cryptic on how to actually do this.

After fumbling around for a while I was able to get to this page: Managing Your Subaru Surprising that it can't be accessed through MySubaru.

Fumbling on, I registered with the service only to be told that my car's VIN number was incorrect. For now that is a dead-end.

I'm going to make a quick assumption that the car is too new and the VIN has not yet been registered in whatever database is used for the map service. Is that a correct assumption?

Any other advice?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think your assumption is correct. Do not recall when I registered mine vs the purchase date but I believe it was about a month. Not that I had to wait that long but that is how it worked out. Once registered you should receive emails for updates however there was one released in December that may not be loaded onto your HU. This also includes some fixes for the presets dropping out so if you experience that just know the update addresses it. If you plan to stop by your dealer they can likely take care of this for you or you can wait for your VIN to get uploaded to https://subaru-maps.com

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, our dealer is just under 40 miles away, so not a convenient stop. We do up that way periodically. So eventually.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Has anyone done a Navigation map update yet? I'm amazed at how screwed up things seem to be. I was able to download and make the USB key via the Subaru/Harmon updater - it's a huge file, surprise surprise. However my vehicle won't display the current map version on screen - it gets truncated and cut off!! Ha!! Since the latest version was posted in early April, my vehicle likely doesn't have it (unless it was in production sooner than on the updater - a real possibility). The vehicle will also generate a code to be input online for an update - okaaaaaay. I didn't need/use that, nor see where I might even possible use it! And then of course the vehicle connects to my home WiFi, and has an map update option - it says there are no updates. Nothing like having 3 unconnected options (maybe) to do the same thing (maybe).

When plugging in the USB with my map update, it notes that it will take an hour to update, and the car must be running. Makes me wonder if I ever will update mine! I wonder if it will update while driving, or do I just have to let the car sit/run for an hour??

Disclaimer - I didn't read the manual. I tried online, but they still don't appear to have posted the 8" screen version.
Disclaimer - I use Android Auto 99.9% of the time and Google Maps.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Has anyone done a Navigation map update yet? I'm amazed at how screwed up things seem to be. I was able to download and make the USB key via the Subaru/Harmon updater - it's a huge file, surprise surprise. However my vehicle won't display the current map version on screen - it gets truncated and cut off!! Ha!! Since the latest version was posted in early April, my vehicle likely doesn't have it (unless it was in production sooner than on the updater - a real possibility). The vehicle will also generate a code to be input online for an update - okaaaaaay. I didn't need/use that, nor see where I might even possible use it! And then of course the vehicle connects to my home WiFi, and has an map update option - it says there are no updates. Nothing like having 3 unconnected options (maybe) to do the same thing (maybe).

When plugging in the USB with my map update, it notes that it will take an hour to update, and the car must be running. Makes me wonder if I ever will update mine! I wonder if it will update while driving, or do I just have to let the car sit/run for an hour??

Disclaimer - I didn't read the manual. I tried online, but they still don't appear to have posted the 8" screen version.
Disclaimer - I use Android Auto 99.9% of the time and Google Maps.
Don’t worry about the hour warning. Mine took less than 15 minutes.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
The update I downloaded and installed via USB in December took about 45 minutes to install. The more recent one in April took about 20 minutes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was able to load the latest map update onto a USB driver from the online site. The instructions state that I need to insert the USB drive into "the header" of the AV system. Where is the header? I have tried inserting it into the three USB ports that I can find in my 2019 Forrester, and nothing happens. I took the car and the USB drive to my dealer, and the most "expert" technician there had no idea what to do.

HELP !!

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
I was able to load the latest map update onto a USB driver from the online site. The instructions state that I need to insert the USB drive into "the header" of the AV system. Where is the header? I have tried inserting it into the three USB ports that I can find in my 2019 Forrester, and nothing happens. I took the car and the USB drive to my dealer, and the most "expert" technician there had no idea what to do.

HELP !!
I used the USB port located in the front dash cubby, the one you would use to connect your phone to run Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. The system recognized the update as soon as I plugged in the drive. Make sure that the update is the only thing on the USB drive, and that you have the version intended for your model/year/accessory set.

When the update is loading, the main display will show the progress. It took the better part of an hour to do the first update. The second one I did took maybe 20 minutes to complete. I'd advise not turning anything off until it's all done, so don't start until you know you have time for the update to complete/

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We recently took a long road trip. The Subaru Forester (2019) in-dash tom-tom navigation was disappointing. It appears that the base map, is an (obsolete) 2017 edition since recently built roads do not seem to show-up. Our Garmin Nuvi 650, which we also brought along, was more up-to-date.

According to the Subaru map updater, the current version available is "North America 2017.03". The map was updated on April 4, 2019, but I suspect that the base map (road system) itself was not updated, only the underlying data (retail stores, street addresses, etc.).

Anyone else notice whether the base map appears out-of-date?
Any knowledge of when the base map itself will be updated?

·
Registered
226 Posts
knowledge of when the base map itself will be updated?
Yup, I've complained to Subaru about all the missing roads and incorrect speed limits. There's town we frequent where we can't even use the built in NAV since a major new highway road/bridge over a river that was built two years ago is still missing even with the newest update. It's garbage. At least I can use Android Auto with Google Maps. I don't know why manufactures even try with NAV anymore since they're out dated as soon as they leave the assembly line. Why can't they give us current maps?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Good question. I can get updates to the Garmin Nuvi 650, which is a stand alone unit that attaches to the inside of the windshield. If Garmin has the data, then TomTom should also.

Did Subaru respond? Who did you contact at Subaru?
Subaru's response

custdlrservices <[email protected]>

Tue, May 14, 2:14 PM

to me
Dear __

Thank you for contacting Subaru.

We are not able to access this map data but I will certainly forward your concerns to the vendor for their review and handling. The data that is provided on our map updates will always have a slight delay. This is just relative to the process. We are always working on improving our products and value your input.

Best wishes,

Kelly Shinault
Subaru of America, Inc.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Typical gobbledygook response. There are too many "middlemen" that insulate one product vendor from another in terms of who is responsible.

A delay of a few months is reasonable. But it appears that the maps accessible to Subaru are now 2 years out-of-date. That is unreasonable. Subaru should have marketing clout to get TomTom to update the maps. I wonder, if the in-dash navigation system is felexible enough to switch to Garmin?

PS: There is a TomTom forum, where I also left a message. But I am not sure if the link below will allow access form another computer.

I left an email response to this link. See what happens.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As an additional thought concerning how to update the maps to the in-dash navigation. Under "home" > "settings" > "map update" there is the following text:

"Use the following code in the website to download maps and more."
Regretfully, the screen does not display a URL for the website listed. So does anyone know what website the quote above refers too? Has anyone updated a map using the "code" displayed on the screen?

·
Registered
226 Posts
As an additional thought concerning how to update the maps to the in-dash navigation. Under "home" > "settings" > "map update" there is the following text:

Regretfully, the screen does not display a URL for the website listed. So does anyone know what website the quote above refers too? Has anyone updated a map using the "code" displayed on the screen?
I've updated from USB flash drive. The map update is also part of the head unit update. Address below:

I didn't ever use a code.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've updated from USB flash drive. The map update is also part of the head unit update. Address below:

I didn't ever use a code.
My post was unclear in that the "screen" that I was referring to was in the car itself, I did "updated" my maps, soon after buying the car, using the "Subaru Map Update Delivery Portal". However, the map available for download appears to be circa 2017, not 2019.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I received a response to my email to Subaru of America. Where the response was: "The map updates are released from the vendor when they are available." For maps that are two years out-of-date, that response is inadequate. The response was sent by:
Martina Brown
Subaru of America, Inc.
Customer/Retailer Services Department
1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)
The mailing address for Subaru of America:
Subaru of America, Inc.
One Subaru Drive
P.O. Box 9103
Camden, NJ 08101
Attn: Customer/Retailer Service

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Today, I received an email from Subaru that a map update was available. I installed it. At this time, since we have no trips planned, I can't say whether the update is good or bad, but it is an update.

What may be troubling, the car still shows that it is using a 2017 base map. The update that I just installed may update the road information to 2019. For example, if a new road was constructed in 2018, will it be shown with this update?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
About this Discussion
53 Replies
18 Participants
Jman42
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing