Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a Fumoto thread, but I recently purchased a lesser-known competitor to the Fumoto. Today I installed a Stahlbus oil drain valve. I thought it deserved its own thread.

Full disclosure, today this was installed on a 2013 VX Crosstrek, but I bought three - one for the XV, my '12 Impreza, and the new '19 Forester. They are all the same size: M16x1.5x12mm.

I think it looks great. One concern I had about the Fumoto was it protruding past the undercarriage and being torn off - there are numerous videos and post on this. It had me worried. This valve sits perfectly, and is recessed plenty with no concern of getting caught.

These two videos were the selling point for me, from a guy that had a Fumoto on a Jeep and replaced it with a Stahlbus:

I am very eager to see how well this valve works in another 6,000 miles when I do the next oil change! I plan to update this post then.

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
This is awesome. I just changed the oil yesterday. I have EZ oil drain valve and it is ALWAYS a struggle to remove the clip and open the valve. I may seriously consider this one to replace EZ oil drain valve with.
Edit: Seems expensive for what it is, double the price of EZ or Fumoto.

·
Registered
169 Posts
This is a product that I personally find unnecessary. That being said, if I were to chose such a product I would go with the Stahlbus brand because they appear to be well made and designed, but most importantly they have been granted "TÜV approval" and are, therefore, street legal in Germany and the rest of the EU by the TÜV Rheinland Group.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Interesting product. The way the drain plug is oriented any valve like this does not protrude down and isnt exposed to anything scraping the under carriage, its more of a 45 degree rearward angle. This product would protrude just as much as a Fumoto. I have 35k miles with a Fumoto and zero issues, including some trails in Moab. I expect this product would be just as safe as a Fumoto in all but the gnarliest of off-road situations

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
That is a nice looking design, but involves more parts to get lost in the garage, and as subiesubieDOOO mentioned the Fumoto doesn't hang lower than the skids. It doesn't hang any lower than the Stahlbus shown here, but it's nice to have choices. Note - the Fumoto SX-style part shown in that Jeep video is much bulkier than the F101, F101S or F101N styles we typically put on our Subies.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I just replaced my fumoto with no spill systems compact model on my 08 fxt. Fumoto did sit low and was unable to install an aluminum skidplate. Design is similar to this stahlbus. Price is about the same for both. Thanks for your review

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did the first oil change with the Stahlbus valve today. I would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone on any vehicle. It was quick and easy, with not a drop of oil spilled.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
Makingforestergreatagain
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing