Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2019 canadian convenience
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a SSD lightbar on? The site mention that there is holes to be drilled, and I'd like to know where before moving on. The car will be leased, so drilling the bumper cover is not an option.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
173 Posts
Check out the YouTube video link for an install of a SSD light bar on a Crosstrek. The manner in which the bar connects to the Crosstrek is different from the way it connects to a 2019 Forester (different part altogether), however the hole drilling that is required is similar in nature. I will be ordering one soon. Will post pics when it arrives.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
173 Posts
Received my SSD light bar today. Overall quality is good, rugged material. Welds are solid, but not the most beautiful. Black finish is fair to good, could be better. Came with mounting hardware and license plate bracket. Approximate weight is 10 pounds total. Price was $200 + $30 shipping. I would be happier if it had been free shipping, however I would recommend this product so far based on visual inspection. Will post more pictures when installed.

·
Registered
2019 canadian convenience
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, keep us posted. Mike from SSD kindly responded to my inquiry and had sent me the instructions. There is indeed 2 1/2'' holes to be drilled in the steel beam, but the instructions are clear about it.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
173 Posts
Yes, keep us posted. Mike from SSD kindly responded to my inquiry and had sent me the instructions. There is indeed 2 1/2'' holes to be drilled in the steel beam, but the instructions are clear about it.
Installed the SSD light bar today. Relatively easy job, can be completed within an hour or so.

Removed the front bumper cover exactly as directed in the video posted above.
Remove bumper impact foam insert.
Scribe and mark center of drill holes on bumper support tube.
Bumper support tube is about 2 1/2 inches thick, (not solid) with a wall thickness of about 2-3 mm.
A step-drill type bit worked well for drilling the 1/2" diameter holes through the bumper support tube.
Bolt up flat stock drop down brackets.
Cut clearance notches in bumper impact foam to clear flat stock drop down brackets prior to re-install.
Bolt up light bar and check positioning before re-installing bumper cover.
Remove light bar and re-install bumper cover. Re-install light bar, check position and tighten.

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek
13 Posts
Does look great. You didn't worry about igniting the front airbags when drilling? I've done a job similar on other cars and was always wondering how sensitive the airbag sensors were. Especially with all that vibration.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
173 Posts
Never even considered that to be a potential issue. My wife would have crucified me if the airbag deployed while I was installing the light bar.
Before switching to the step-drill I was getting pretty aggressive using a standard 118 degree jobber drill, unsuccessfully I might add. There was defiantly some serious vibration and harmonic resonance being created trying to drill through the bumper support beam. The step-drill worked perfect with little effort or force required.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,866 Posts
Does anyone have a SSD lightbar on? The site mention that there is holes to be drilled, and I'd like to know where before moving on. The car will be leased, so drilling the bumper cover is not an option.
I don't know if I would do such a modification on a leased vehicle. I can see doing it on a vehicle I own, or plan to keep for a long time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Received my SSD light bar today. Overall quality is good, rugged material. Welds are solid, but not the most beautiful. Black finish is fair to good, could be better. Came with mounting hardware and license plate bracket. Approximate weight is 10 pounds total. Price was $200 + $30 shipping. I would be happier if it had been free shipping, however I would recommend this product so far based on visual inspection. Will post more pictures when installed. View attachment 523607 View attachment 523608 View attachment 523609
Hey what size are the bolts for the beam?

·
Registered
2020 Forester 2.5i-S (Touring)
115 Posts
Is the light bar operated via a dedicated switch or when high beam is activated?

I ask as in Australia it has to be wired to the high beam and as we know, there is no high beam switch on the 2019 2020 (touring) Forester with LED's

1 - 20 of 26 Posts