Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Thanks! I'm fine with the orange stitching, I think its' interesting, but would probably just swap out the two front vents and the shifter piece. That's good to know it's easy enough to do!

I'm considering buying a 2019 but my dilemma is which trim do I go with, each one has things I don't like about it but ah well... first world problems!

You could pop out the vents and plastidip them. I did that to my 18 and its way better

·
Registered
30 Posts
Excuse the bad photoshop but this is sort of what I'm thinking - replacing the vents and shifter accent with the silver/gray pieces from the other trims. Luckily there is other silver/gray in there so it will still be tied together. I can dig this look if it can work

Attachments

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Excuse the bad photoshop but this is sort of what I'm thinking - replacing the vents and shifter accent with the silver/gray pieces from the other trims. Luckily there is other silver/gray in there so it will still be tied together. I can dig this look if it can work
You can easily accomplish exactly what you photoshopped so you should be good to go if that's the look you want. I like it a lot and having the orange stitching sets it off a bit IMPO and looks sharp:thumbsup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
You could pop out the vents and plastidip them. I did that to my 18 and its way better
How easy was this to do? I haven't been able to find any videos or tutorials on how to do this in a 2019 Forester. Do you know any resource(s) that helped you do it?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
32DF1F86-424B-49C3-8545-AE948896ED2A.jpg

On my 2018 it was relatively easy, although the 1st time you do it they will be stiff. Just need to be careful with a thin pry tool. The center (above) was harder, but not bad. Once out, they are easily plastidipped although I’m not sure about the 2019 configuration

How easy was this to do? I haven't been able to find any videos or tutorials on how to do this in a 2019 Forester. Do you know any resource(s) that helped you do it?

·
Registered
58 Posts
These guys have a lot of part diagrams online.....I have the Touring selected in the link.

Looks like the shift panel from the limited/touring runs $82
The outer air vents are under the Ducts category, and run $44 each (identified as w/o Sport, so not orange).

I would consider this $160 well spent if I had gone with the Sport!

I would guess the outer vents snap in. No idea regarding the center console shift panel (probably some disassembly and snap in/out).

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I just looked at the interior of a 2019 sport. Those side vents should just pop out with a thin pry tool.

I'd start prying at the bottom of the vent...that's just me though.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Thanks! I'm fine with the orange stitching, I think its' interesting, but would probably just swap out the two front vents and the shifter piece. That's good to know it's easy enough to do!

I'm considering buying a 2019 but my dilemma is which trim do I go with, each one has things I don't like about it but ah well... first world problems!
+1. We started out wanting the Sport. Then I started negotiating with myself. First, why pay more for a Premium with a little orange bling? Then, for a little more than a Sport we can get a Limited. I had charts, lists, pricing, blah, blah. In the end wife was lukewarm on another leather interior and I wanted paddle shifters... so Sport it is. Totally first world.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Cross-posting this here since it was originally discussed here and I've come full circle! I bought a 2019 Sport, and bought some OEM silver front vents to replace the orange ones in there now.

The problem now is I have no idea how to get in there and pop those orange vents out without breaking something on accident. I'm comfortable doing all of the work myself but I have no guidance on how exactly to do it. Having scoured the internet, I was able to find stuff for older models, but nothing for the 2019.

I have a couple of pics of the areas for reference. On the right side I took the glove box out and took out all of the screws on that panel, but still felt like there was something connected when I tried to pull it out, so stopped.

I have the replacement ones so I can see where tabs are that I probably need to push out from within, but the problem is getting access in there... Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
You need to pop out the entire housing (the entire black housing that the orange piece is in) is my guess. That’s the way it usually works and have done that on my 18. Thin pry tool at bottom. The clips will be be stiff.

Not sure why you took the the glove box out...but I’m not familiar with the 19

·
Registered
30 Posts
I did it! It turns out they pop out really easy, there are loose clips in the top and bottom but stronger tabs in the middle of each. I was shocked how easy they pulled up and out, but just had to use a little force. But super easy. The OEM replacements popped right in. I also got an overlay for the shifter trim, so now I have the interior looking a lot more like I was hoping for. It looks a lot more subdued now, but still has orange stitching and trim pieces throughout. Sharing this if anyone else was interested. Thanks all for the guidance and encouragement.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
As most of you may know, I bought my daughter a 2019 loaded Sport back in September. I am not a fan of orange either but, I must say, it looks pretty awesome against the Dark Blue Metallic paint. I think Subaru is targeting the younger demographic as they all seem to LOVE the color combo but I'd buy it for myself if I wanted another Forester. It has been a great vehicle thus far...approaching 9K miles and ZERO issues.
We just bought a Dark Blue Metallic Sport a couple of weeks ago and we love it. For the record, we are 55 and 56 so we are not in their target demographic but we are pretty cool for old people. LOL!

·
Registered
12 Posts
@theroyz71...I love the look of the DBM paint with the orange accents. I, too, am 56 years old. I wonder if I ask my daughter if she thinks I'm "cool" what her answer would be??? :cool::cool::cool:

Just hit 18K miles and ZERO issues or concerns:thumbsup:
For the record, the wife is 56. I'm a much younger 55. :)

We just rolled over 1000 miles on ours. My wife is taking it to Myrtle Beach in a couple weeks so it will rack up some miles pretty soon.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I did it! .
Looks great! I almost got a Sport, but went Touring (for the brown leather). Replacing the orange trim pieces was on my list if I had gone Sport. I really like orange accents - but way too much for my taste with the vents/console trim.

I'm still contemplating "de-chroming" my Touring, as it is.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This weekend I painted the orange air vents in my ‘19 Sport black, instead of replacing them with the silver trimmed vents. They remove relatively easily with a thin trim tool, the vent face is then held to the entire piece by one screw and two tabs. The orange face can be removed from the vent itself, but it is secured in place to the backside of the vent housing with what looks like melted button ends on the interior. These simply need to be cut sliced off to allow the orange face to pull right out. Not a big deal as you can put a dab from a hot glue gun when putting them back onto the vent.

I attached a before and after picture. Now onto the exterior orange.

Regarding the shifter console orange trim, I completely removed that panel from the interior and found the orange trim portion is actually the same piece of plastic trim as the main body, so there’s no way to remove just the orange portion to paint it. The over lay or replacement part for other trims would be much easier than meticulously taping off the orange for paint.

Attachments

21 - 39 of 39 Posts