Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
No I don't believe everthing I read on the Internet but it's hard to give you supporting evidence with the use of the net. Like I said, look it up and make up your own mind.
Since I live in upstate SC, where Michelin has its NA headquarters, Im fortunate to know a few engineers that work for them in the tire manufacturing areas.

I’ve heard this argument about OEM tires being different than aftermarket tires for some years now, so I’ve gone to the source to find out what they say about it.

The consensus that I’ve gotten from asking them:

Auto manufacturers did indeed often have tires manufactured specifically to vehicle maker specifications. However, the same tire manufacturer make/model and sized tire, whether OEM or bought as replacements later, use the very same specifications. That’s why you can read tire reviews (ie., Tirerack.com) for a specific make/model tire that, depending on specific size, can give wide mileage variations and service levels.

So, for example, even though the tread pattern is the same, a 185/65R15 size in a particular make/model tire might give very different ride and wear results than the same tire in a 205/60R16.

I don’t have any engineering document copies to prove/disprove this, but it makes sense (at least to me).

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
OEM tire size equates to the Manufacturer's replacement. Then it is the same tire with the same specifications which as stated no difference for set vehicle.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul

·
Registered
370 Posts
OEM tire size equates to the Manufacturer's replacement. Then it is the same tire with the same specifications which as stated no difference for set vehicle.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul
If that wasn’t the case, and OEM same-model/manufacturer/sized tires were different that the tires being sold by tire dealers... can you imagine the field day lawyers would have suing tire manufacturers, claiming no consumer could possibly ever know what the actual product was being purchased?

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Glad to hear that Costco does it right. BTW, those roasted chickens are a loss leader to the tune of $34M per year!
Yup, it works. I often go for the chicken and I still walk out with 10 items in teh basket and it costs $100. Damn it!

Hotdogs must be a loss leader too. I dont know how they can sell a dog and giant coke for a buck fifty. :laugh:

21 - 26 of 26 Posts