Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Does anyone know where you can get a longer rod to screw down a full size spare tire in the trunk?
Try a hardware store. I got mine in stainless steel at a local ACE Hardware. Depending on the wheel used, you may still be able to use the fastener from the factory. My aftermarket wheel has less offset so I needed to source a bolt that was about 10mm longer.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Here's a pic of the fit with my stock Premium 225/60R17 (27.63") that has the same tire width as the stock Sport.

Way cool see you used the Subaru stock rim instead of an ugly generic rim.

I am still waiting delivery for a barely used Touring rim found on eBay ($202 included shipping a new one was $420 with tax (Ouch!)) and the Falken tire I bought from Simple Tire (great price!).

If the old gashed 2019 Touring rim can still be used with a cheap new tire. I want to place it in the spare tire well too! The only thing not sure of yet is how to mount it down in wheel well since center of rim isn’t exposed?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Way cool see you used the Subaru stock rim instead of an ugly generic rim.
The stock wheel and tire was only used for test fitting. I have aftermarket wheels & tires now and the spare matches. Regardless, I’ve got it secured in the factory location.

The only thing not sure of yet is how to mount it down in wheel well since center of rim isn’t exposed?
The center cap of any wheel should pop out and allow the use of the large diameter washer supplied with factory spare. With that OEM wheel its likely you’ll reuse even the factory bolt to hold it in place. Otherwise, just locally source a bolt that fits your needs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
May I ask what was the width of the bolt that was able to screw into the spare tire tie down hole? I found a 5/16 that appeared to fit but the threads only screwed in part way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Does anyone know where you can get a longer rod to screw down a full size spare tire in the trunk?
I did not have to get a new rod, I got a matching 19`sport wheel and was able to screw it down with the original rod. Just removed the foam piece and everything else fits perfectly fine, didn't even need to raise the trunk 'floor', everything just fits fine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have a 2019 Touring model. Before I gave away my 2009, I took the spare tire from there and it fit easily into the 2019 spare well. But when I got a p255/55 R18 tire, the back end did not quite fit flush and the original tie down rod is about an inch or so short. A piece of 2 X 4 across the back of the well makes the floor cover fit, so now I just need to find a rod long enough with 8mm threads to secure the tire to the well.
I haven't tried partially deflating the spare to see if if will fit that way. Seems like if I was changing a flat, I would not want to also have the hassle of inflating the spare.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Coregrind, Sorry for the confusion.
I did not intend to use the 2009 tire as a spare for the 2019. I just put it in the 2019 for a minute to see if it looked like a full size tire would fit in there. Since that smaller tire seemed to have plenty of room, I figured an 18" wheel would fit in there also. It does squeeze in there, but not perfectly.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Great details in this post. Thanks for sharing. DBAstro, where did you get that Sport rim? I may be interested in buying one to do as you did.
Been looking on web at rim repair shops. They claim they can get the OEM rims for vehicles but what they charge? In my case checked several Fozzi dealers and for a 2019 Touring rim $420 with tax (OUCH)! Found a slightly used rim on eBay at less than 50% with shipping and it is now mounted with new tire and I am in an evaluation mode on it. The original gouged/rashed rim I will now take around the rim shops for a repair quote. If all is successful will use the repaired gouged rim with a new cheaper tire as my spare tire.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My 18” spare did not quite fit flush. The top center was maybe 1/4” too tall so the trunk cover would rock side to side a little. After I fit in some accessories around the sides, it no longer rocked but the back end of the trunk cover no longer could clip in, but sat on top of the floor. However with the all weather mat placed on top, that was not even noticeable. I also had to use an eyebolt with 4” of 8mm thread to fasten down the wheel.
8872A69D-1B36-4AF1-A3E8-CB157E4372E0.jpeg
21DB3F2D-67A0-468A-8471-60CBF86F4971.jpeg

·
Registered
103 Posts
To add to the discussion, here is my stock 225/55R18 Sport tire fitting in the space along with the jack, air compressor, and first aid kit. The stock bolt held it down fine and in my case, the lid did not seem to hit the tire. I gotta get with @coregrind and pick up one of hit 17" stockers to put in there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I wish mine fit in as cleanly as yours. Is it possible that even though mine says 225/55R18, it’s a little bit wider than the stock brand?

21 - 40 of 43 Posts