Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone. Just bought a new forester (2019) and I was wondering if anyone has swapped out the smaller spare tire for a full size tire and if so did it fit ok. Thank you very much for any information.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
2019 Forester spare tire question

@gjkiii In previous models a full sized spare would fit, deflated. One needed a battery powered inflator to pump it up when required. Someone would have to try that with the 2019.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has swapped out the smaller spare tire for a full size tire and if so did it fit ok.
I tried 225/60R17 (stock) and 215/65R17 (AT) with success. The factory foam piece above the spare will no longer fit so you’ll likely need to get creative if support for the cargo area floor is desired. I saw in an Australian model they have a different foam piece that appears to be designed for a full size tire.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Everyone. Just bought a new forester (2019) and I was wondering if anyone has swapped out the smaller spare tire for a full size tire and if so did it fit ok. Thank you very much for any information.
2016 SJ knowledge: like someone stated need to deflate a stock size tire. AT tires either get some 2x4s and build a frame to lift the floor board or mount outside via roof rack (losing space in the rack and watch your MPG drop!) or say a wilson tire mount & trailer hitch on the rear. I dont understand why they would put a doughnut spare for a AWD vehicle.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Easy answer. Money and space. More general cargo room above a donut hole.
Most people drive on pavement, where a donut spare works ok. The awd is used a few times a year in snow or on a dirt road, and few tow with the capacity so low.

Pretty simple.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Having just done this in our 2010, I've a tip. Get it mounted and balanced at the stealership. I went to a local tire store and they couldn't program my TPMS. They said dealer would charge me about $20-25 to program. Turned out to be $58 for a half an hour of labor, after already paying $20 for the mounting. Afterwards service guy tells me. " You should have just brought it here first. $25 for mount and balanced and would include the programming. " Doh!

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
I tried 225/60R17 (stock) and 215/65R17 (AT) with success. The factory foam piece above the spare will no longer fit so you’ll likely need to get creative if support for the cargo area floor is desired. I saw in an Australian model they have a different foam piece that appears to be designed for a full size tire.
Did you have to deflate at all for the 225/60R17?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Did you have to deflate at all for the 225/60R17?
Nope. Not even for the 215/65R17 (narrower, but taller). They each fit fine without the foam. I added some support for the floor above as I felt it was very necessary when hauling cargo. This still allows the floor to sit flush; it's not raised up like I've seen is required for other generations and/or tire sizes.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Sorry, but what is an AT tire? Thanks.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Nope. Not even for the 215/65R17 (narrower, but taller). They each fit fine without the foam. I added some support for the floor above as I felt it was very necessary when hauling cargo. This still allows the floor to sit flush; it's not raised up like I've seen is required for other generations and/or tire sizes.
Clean fix. What size firring strips did you use? Looks like the center is thicker in the photo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I tied it and it worked. I can't use the storage cover that fit onto of the smaller spare but the full spare fit in the area with the tools sitting in it as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks much for sharing coregrind! I had nearly given up on the idea of a full sized spare until I saw this very clean solution you posted. Due to low garage height at home, me forgetting that I would have put a spare on my roof (yeah, I'd be that guy at a local parking garage), poor gas mileage with a cargo basket + spare, and with a bike rack laying claim to the hitch (gotta bring the two wheeled whips on trips), I wasn't sure where I was going to put a full sized spare.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks much for sharing coregrind!
Keep in mind your Sport has a slightly taller tire than my Premium had. My aftermarket 215/65R17 (28.00") is taller than the stock 225/55R18 (27.74") of the Sport but mine is slightly narrower now. Regardless, I think you'll still have room. Here's a pic of the fit with my stock Premium 225/60R17 (27.63") that has the same tire width as the stock Sport.

And, I had to source a longer bolt to properly secure the bigger spare wheel & tire. My local hardware store had the proper length in stainless steel and I added a lock washer as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,

I am new to this forum but thought I would jump in on this thread. Just today I added a full size spare tire to my 2019 Subaru Forester Limited. It has the 225/55 18" inch wheels and I was able to fit a full size spare (oem wheel from a 2019 Subaru Forester Sport) in the well without making any alterations other than installing it with the outside of the rim down and I had to remove the foam tray. The foam with the jack etc still fits inside the wheel. I was even able to store my Pelican tool box, torque wrench, wheel chocks, 12v tire pump, tow strap, and jumper cables back in the well with the full size spare. I did not need to add any supports but you could if desired. I did not have a chance to road test the car yet so I am not sure if I am going to have road noise from the spare tire well due to the removal of the foam insert. If so I will add some sound proofing foam. Only down side is that the privacy cover will no longer store in the spare tire well and to check the spare tire inflation it must be removed as the valve is facing down. You could get around this by getting a longer threaded rod as suggested by others on this thread and having the spare wheel face upward however you lose a lot of storage space and the jack with foam insert would no longer fit. Here are some photos showing the details of my install.

Dennis

Attachments

1 - 20 of 43 Posts