Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester CVT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all. I recently (August 31 2019) purchased a 2019 Forester Limited. I am working on it to get it setup the way I want. I have a USB drive from my previous car and the music is not playing in the order that I am used to OR prefer. Right now it plays the songs in alphabetical order by song title. I would prefer to play it alphabetically by Album Title. My drive is formatted at FAT32 file system. I have 49 albums at the ROOT with 938 songs throughout them. Is there something I need to do correct this? I did look through the forums and I was not really able to find anything nor was I able to find anything in the Owner's Manual. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

-Zoran

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,828 Posts
As I recall, the setup in my 2016 and 2108 is that it plays in order of installation of folders on the USB drive, and then in order of installation of files within each folder. Albums as such are meaningless unless in their own folder.

YMMV

·
Registered
2019 Forester CVT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That seams like such a PITA. But now that i'm thinking of it, can I just rename each album folder? They are already sorted alphabetically. Would that work and then play alphabetically by album?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
544 Posts
Good day all. I recently (August 31 2019) purchased a 2019 Forester Limited. I am working on it to get it setup the way I want. I have a USB drive from my previous car and the music is not playing in the order that I am used to OR prefer. Right now it plays the songs in alphabetical order by song title. I would prefer to play it alphabetically by Album Title. My drive is formatted at FAT32 file system. I have 49 albums at the ROOT with 938 songs throughout them. Is there something I need to do correct this? I did look through the forums and I was not really able to find anything nor was I able to find anything in the Owner's Manual. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

-Zoran
Hi, don't waste your time trying to solve this -- I've been testing solutions and complaining to Subaru for over a year about this and have found many other forums discussing this. What's frustrating is that Subaru will tell you this is not a 'bug' but is by design, yet I don't think you could find anyone on planet Earth that is perfectly OK with their albums not playing in order. (Just try listening to a Broadway Musical!)

Even worse, attempts I made to perform a mass renaming of the file tags for each song using a metadata editor like mp3tag to append the 2-digit track number to the front of the file name and track tag actually doesn't work because the head unit apparently utilizes a Gracenote database which recognizes the albums and overrides the names in your metadata for any albums in the database. So about 2/3 of my albums do not sort correctly even when doing this metadata hack.

I've resorted to continuing to use an old iPod Touch hidden behind the trim with the wire tucked in between the trim gaps. Playing via iPod does CORRECTLY play in Album order.

Everyone reading this should to send a communication to SOA customer support (using the Contact Us link on their home page) requesting that this "feature" for USB media be corrected to properly play music accessed via "Album" or "Artist" menus in TRACK order, not ALPHABETICAL order. I will be writing to them tomorrow to tell them I'm disappointed the fix wasn't implemented in the last firmware update released in August.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts