Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone with a 2019 keyless access Forester successfully set a PIN code for unlocking their car without the fob?
This is a method using the lock button on the rear hatch to set and use a 5-digit PIN code. For me, step 4 will not produce a chirp, preventing successful definition of the code.

From Page 117 - 119 of the User Manual:
Registration for a PIN code

Step 1 Turn off the ignition switch.
2 Close all doors (including rear gate).
3 Press and hold the “Lock” button on the access key fob, and press and hold the rear lock button until a chirp sounds.
4 Press and hold the “Unlock” button on the access key fob until a chirp sounds.
Within 30 seconds The PIN code is inputted by using the rear lock button within 30 seconds after the chirp sound of step 4.

[etc]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thank you... I am going to try this today

But I am confused
I see this
NOTE
PIN Code Access will be helpful if the
key fob is accidentally left in the
vehicle. It is recommended that a 5-
digit security code (PIN code) be regis-
tered.

then this?
NOTE
. You cannot unlock by PIN Code
Access in the following cases.
– When the access key fob is within
the operating ranges.

If the FOB is in the car isnt that within Operating range??

thanks
herb

·
Registered
2019 Forester
10 Posts
I still can't get the PIN procedure to work. I get beeps to enter the first 2 numbers and no beeps after that.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring Automatic
247 Posts
I still can't get the PIN procedure to work. I get beeps to enter the first 2 numbers and no beeps after that.
I followed the instructions in the Owner's Manual and got it on the first try (unlike some other settings I've tried). Make sure you're hearing the confirmation/prompt beeps throughout the process. If you're successful at the end, the lights will flash and all the doors will lock.

·
Registered
2019 Forester, Touring CVT
168 Posts
Not sure if this is the issue but if you have the push button start use the “Subaru” bottom on the fob as the unlock button. I think the manual describes using a non-push button start remote. I think when I first tried and it failed I was using the left gate unlock button which is not correct.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
It didn't occur to me to use any other unlock/Subaru logo button but the one of the key fob, but if someone is trying to use the one on the left gate, that could be the problem.

One step that the manual does not emphasize: you have to enter the five-digit PIN code twice. When you've entered the fifth digit, the car will start beeping at you, about twice per second. You then enter the PIN code again, pausing for a confirming beep after entering each digit. When you're done, the lights will flash and all the doors will lock. This is how you know you were successful.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok..Success
I was able to program a pin code... i think...it appeared to work according to the instructions.

But so far I am unable to test to verify...

PIN Code Access will be helpful if the
key fob is accidentally left in the
vehicle.

You appear to be unable to lock it with the FOB inside.

You cannot unlock by PIN Code
Access in the following cases.
– When the access key fob is within
the operating ranges.

So I tried putting the fob 30 feet away in my office building...still didnt work.

What am i doing wrong?

thanks

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
I just tried the PIN code I set last night. Here are the steps I took:

1. The key fob was inside the house, about 20 feet from the garaged car.
  2. I opened the unlocked driver's door, locked the doors with the electronic lock on the inner door, and closed the door. All doors were locked.
  3. I went to the lift gate and pushed the button six times to key in the first digit of the PIN. I was rewarded with a beep.
  4. I pushed the button the requisite number of times for the second and subsequent PIN digits. I got a beep after each digit (series of button pushes) had been entered.
  5. On entering the sixth PIN code digit, I heard the locks work and the lights flashed. The rear gate was still locked, but the driver's door was unlocked. I could then unlock the other doors with the electronic lock switch in the driver's door.

I hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Limited /w Tech
10 Posts
Tip: keep a piece of aluminum foil small enough to wrap the fob in the glove compartment. This will prohibit the car from sensing the fob and you'll be able to lock the fob inside.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i Tour CVT
319 Posts
OR if you can find one of those 35mm lead filled shields used when going through airport screening would also work

Brian

·
Registered
2019 Forester, Touring CVT
168 Posts
Or use this to disable the key fob.

Power saving function of access key fob
This function stops the access key fob from receiving signals and helps minimize the battery consumption of the access key fob.

Press the “Unlock” button twice while holding the “Lock” button.

Confirm that the LED indicator blinks 4 time times to notify that the setting is complete. When the access key fob is in the power save mode, the keyless access function and push-button start system will not be available. To cancel the power save mode, press one of the buttons on the access key fob.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
28 Posts
Tailgates PIN access

Am I missing something because I cannot understand how you set up the PIN to open the car from the tailgate button.

I’ve tried several combinations of settings I found online but can’t get it to work.

I have a 2019 Limited.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Am I missing something because I cannot understand how you set up the PIN to open the car from the tailgate button.

I’ve tried several combinations of settings I found online but can’t get it to work.

I have a 2019 Limited.
Did you try the steps I detailed above in post #10? That worked for me.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
182 Posts
sorry to raise an old thread. I've read here and in Manual how to set PIN but how do you unlock using code? Do you use the same button on rear tale gate and enter the numbers similar to how you set or? I looked through manual but I can't find in the 30,000 pages of manual

Thanks,

·
Registered
363 Posts
sorry to raise an old thread. I've read here and in Manual how to set PIN but how do you unlock using code? Do you use the same button on rear tale gate and enter the numbers similar to how you set or? I looked through manual but I can't find in the 30,000 pages of manual

Thanks,
Yes

·
Premium Member
247 Posts

Thanks,
Yes, but remember that this will not work if the key fob is active and within range of the vehicle. To use the unlock code on the rear gate, the key fob has to be in an RF-proof container, turned off, or placed far enough away from the car that it won't work. Also, when the unlock code is successful, it unlocks the driver's door only. You use the lock buttons on the driver's door to unlock the other doors.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts