Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

Registered
I have a 2017 Premium. Found the seats to be extremely uncomfortable when it was new. Went on a 1800 mile trip then and almost sold it afterward as the seat was so uncomfortable. Tried several different after market cushions, lumbar supports, etc. None of them made much difference. It was the stiffness of the bottom cushions that were the problem for me. After several months use though, the cushions softened from use. Now I find them supportive, but not overly stiff. I guess they "wore in" to fit my butt. Been on several long distance trips lately and the seats are comfortable. Maybe time and use will solve the problem for you. Good luck!

Registered
I've had back surgery and another surgery most likely for lower back issues and find the seats in my 2019 Sport very comfy. My only complaint about the seat is actually where the seat belt clicks into, it digs into my hip.

Registered
I'm a little late to the party but initially, the seats hurt my lower back but now after 1500 miles they feel great. Either I or the seats musta broken in!! I am 6'3" 260 with more torso then legs if it helps someone else in the same boat as the OP and I was.

Registered
I've had back surgery and another surgery most likely for lower back issues and find the seats in my 2019 Sport very comfy. My only complaint about the seat is actually where the seat belt clicks into, it digs into my hip.
I took my 2017 to an upholstery shop and they were able to bend the bottom part to point away from my hip. That solved the problem for me.

Registered
We looked at Mazda, Honda, and Toyota until I sat in a base 2019 while shopping and thought it was very comfortable, that鈥檚 what pushed us to get the Touring. I figured if the base was that comfortable, the Touring would be gravy.

The only thing that came close was the CX5 (nearly no legroom in back) and CX9 (too big) for comfort. The Honda Passport was like sitting on a bench, very rigid and flat underneath.

Registered
Test drove 5 small SUVs. Tiguan, Forester, RAV4, CR-V, Rogue.

Narrowed it down to three. CR-V, Rogue, Forester. Picked up a Premium Forester. Now that I have a few hundred miles on it, I鈥檝e noticed that....the driver鈥檚 seat is awful.

I鈥檓 literally in back pain after I ride in this car. Did two test drives. First test drive, no issue. Second, back hurt a little afterwards. That should have been a big red flag. I have the lumbar support feature but it doesn鈥檛 seem to help. The seat also seems too small, like I鈥檓 falling out of it on the sides. I鈥檓 a big guy, 6鈥4, 255.

Will these seats get more comfortable, or am I screwed? Help!!
I don鈥檛 think that seat is made for you, big. If I was you, I would consult with an upholstery shop, and either swap the seat out completely, or have them customize it. You could always have it removed, and just store it. If you decide to sell, put it back in. It鈥檚 no different than wearing shoes that are too small. It鈥檚 never gonna be comfortable. IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
I personally can relate to this post 100% completely. My first Subaru was a 2017 Forester Touring edition. I enjoyed many of the features but found it so uncomfortable that I could not STAND IT. Luckily, I have a short commute and was able to tolerate it for awhile. However, I finally gave in and traded in my excellent condition 17000 mile 2017 for a new 2019 Touring edition. The improvements of the 2019 remodel were substantial and fantastic. The tech upgrades made everything that I found clunky about the 2017 has been improved in the 2019 Touring. I can't speak to the lower models. But as a 6'2 265lb driver, I found a vast improvement in the comfort of the 2019 Forester Touring model over the older models. If worst comes to worst, the adjustable seat length feature of the Ascent may help as well. Good luck to someone who agrees with you 100%
It's definitely an individual thing. I also have a 2017 Forester Touring edition and I find the seats very comfortable. I have a bad back - 2 surgeries, spinal stenosis, scoliosis, osteoarthritis, degenerative disk disease - so comfort is an absolute requirement. Though most of my trips are < 30 minutes, I have made at least 4 five hour trips as well. I'm 5'11" and 180 lbs.

Registered
I hope I don't sound dumb, but did you also try adjusting the steering wheel position. tilt and or telescoping to see if that alleviates some of your discomfort.

Registered
Your best bet is to play with the seat settings a bit. Also make sure you are sitting straight, I sometimes realize I am sitting in the seat unevenly when I am uncomfortable.

Registered
I'm going to tag onto this thread, and hope to get some comments. We picked up our 2019 Forester Touring the end of August, then took for a weekend trip to Kansas City. I'm not 100% sure what I don't like about the seat. The actual seat cushion feels fine. I don't have the complaints I read about in some of the older threads about the hardness / lack of thigh support, etc. I just can't seem to it adjusted to get comfortable for my lower back. I keep adjusting the lumbar support, and it seems to come in too high. Maybe I was spoiled from my two previous cars. I had a 2003 Audi A6 for 10 years, and have been driving a 2011 Genesis for the past 4. It's still my daily driver. We bought the Forester for my wife, and she loves the car, and has no seat issues.

I'm going to google the Youtube video mentioned previously, and work on adjusting the seat in some different ways. Maybe it's the 2 way lumbar support. My Genesis has 4 way, so it will adjust up and down, not just in and out.

I definitely don't want to do anything drastic as trying to replace the seats. As I said above, it's my wife's primary driver, and I usually drive it on the weekends when we're heading into the city. I would also like to get to a level of comfort if we take some 4 to 6 hour drives.

I'll also say what i experience is not really pain, but a lack of comfort compared to what I'm used to. 30 or 40 minutes is really no problem, but after an hour or more, I find myself getting irritable.

I've started to do some searches for a cushion, but what i think I want is something for my back, but what I'm seeing is mostly just seat cushions.

Any thoughts on how to improve my experience?

Registered
In answer to the above, and possibly the OP, don't be shy to visit a car seat upholsterer. I'm often amazed at how much money people will put into aesthetic mods on their cars but won't dream of touching the seats. An upholsterer can remove the seat cover, add or remove any amount of foam (with some restrictions due to airbags of course) and re-cover at a fairly low cost. Even a minor lumbar shave/add, or adding an inch to the under-thigh area, can mean the difference between loving and hating your driving experience.

And whilst it's off, you can add seat warmers as well if you don't have them on your car.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts