Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Test drove 5 small SUVs. Tiguan, Forester, RAV4, CR-V, Rogue.

Narrowed it down to three. CR-V, Rogue, Forester. Picked up a Premium Forester. Now that I have a few hundred miles on it, I’ve noticed that....the driver’s seat is awful.

I’m literally in back pain after I ride in this car. Did two test drives. First test drive, no issue. Second, back hurt a little afterwards. That should have been a big red flag. I have the lumbar support feature but it doesn’t seem to help. The seat also seems too small, like I’m falling out of it on the sides. I’m a big guy, 6’4, 255.

Will these seats get more comfortable, or am I screwed? Help!!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Absolutely disagree. We purchased the 2019 over the 2018 for one reason, the very comfortable seats. I'm a 6'2" 185 lbs individual with lower back issues who absolutely loves the 2019 seats. Felt great on many 12 to 14 hour driving days. No complaints here. Everyone is different. Maybe you should have done more testing before pulling the trigger. Sorry to here it's not for you.

·
Registered
841 Posts
@SubiDad19

Some light reading for you

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Absolutely disagree. We purchased the 2019 over the 2108 for one reason, the very comfortable seats. I'm a 6'2" 185 lbs individual with lower back issues who absolutely loves the 2019 seats. Felt great on many 12 to 14 hour driving days. No complaints here. Everyone is different. Maybe you should have done more testing before pulling the trigger. Sorry to here it's not for you.
I did two long test drives. About 10 miles each. Easily 25 minutes in the car each time. I didn’t have an issue until I brought mine home.

·
Registered
259 Posts
This is the cushion I used to use in my last car but since the Forester has more lumbar support then most I haven't used it more then a couple of times in it.

Check out this "LoveHome Premium Memory Foam Car Lumbar Cushion & Car Neck Pillow" linked below.

I don't use the lumbar cushion but rather I use the neck pillow it comes with as a lumbar cushion. It feels great molding to my back as it's memory foam.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Like so many things, everyone's bottom is different. What is comfortable to one may be agony to another. Obviously, the OP is in the latter group. There is no fix, unlike motorcycles where I always purchase a custom fitted seat.

Some suggest added pillows, but the OP author is 6' 4" tall and needs every bit of room available in the Forester.

Short of selling the Forester, I can't offer advise beyond renting a vehicle for a long trip before choosing to make the purchase. That's what I did with my previous vehicle and then driving my SO's Forester 2,000 miles.

Maybe, just maybe, any drivers seat from one Global Platform Subaru will fit into another.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just bought a 2019 Forester three weeks ago and couldn’t disagree more. I’m 6’1 230 and find the seats comfortable with good lumber support. I often drive 100 miles a pop. Sorry that they aren’t working out for you.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It also seems like the seat is leaning towards the center console. Perhaps it’s just because I’m not used to bucket seats. I’m sure on a brand new vehicle the seats are straight!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just bought a 2019 Forester three weeks ago and couldn’t disagree more. I’m 6’1 230 and find the seats comfortable with good lumber support. I often drive 100 miles a pop. Sorry that they aren’t working out for you.
I’m sure I’ll get used to it, but right now they’re pretty uncomfortable.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm trying to not respond, but just can't help myself - no seat (car, chair, sofa) can be designed to be comfortable for everyone, but should/can be designed to fit average range of humans. Those on large or small ends often end up with problems. With all due respect - I think more properly one can say "2019 Forester Seats are uncomfortable for (fill in the blank) size person".
But perhaps OP is really looking for a way to mitigate the discomfort, and it looks like there are some suggestions.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts