Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Spencer. I just bought a '20 Forester and my wife complained about the same pain. After much thought, I devised a solution! Because the seat belt is attached to the seat and moves along with it, all I needed to do was wedge something between the hard plastic of the seat base and the seatbelt support. I took a solid rubber doorstop, drilled a hole through it and inserted a zip tie. Then I moved the buckle as far as I could while wedging the doorstop down to the base. I closed the zip tie around the metal support and trimmed the excess and voila! Problem solved. I'm attaching photos. Hope this helps you.
View attachment 542151

View attachment 542152
View attachment 542153
View attachment 542154
Thanks for this! Just took home a new 2020 Forester on Friday. So painful! I too didn't notice this issue on the test drive. Thought of taking back to the dealership, but from what I read here that probably wouldn't get me very far. Disappointing that Suberu hasn't listened to their customers on this. This is my 3rd Forester and I'm beyond mad about it. I'll have my honey try this trick - I'm hopeful it will work, but am kinda pissed we have to fix the problem ourselves.

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK this is weird, I will admit.

I bought a 19 Forester and since my ride home from the dealer I have been dealing with an issue that I just figured was my own issue.

The part of the seat belt that is to my right (the female end) is angled in toward the driver. The case is the same on the passenger side (angled toward the passenger). The issue is that the piece that is angled in is super rigid and pushed and digs into the occupant. You can imagine what a pain this is (literally) for the driver.

My car is in for some other issues that are non-related and I asked the service adviser to take a look. He called me back later that day and told me that all 19 Foresters that he sat in, base, premium, and touring (I have a limited) have the same, overly rigid seat belt receiver.

I figured that the car was new, I could be categorized as "husky", and the belt would loosen up over time. At this point my only fix is to stick a piece of plastic (left over Lexan from my workplace) in between the belt receiver and the seat to pry it off my leg.

I spoke to the service adviser and he said there is nothing he can do. I called Subaru North America and made them aware of the issue but at this point there is nothing they can do either.

Anyone else having a similar experience or am I the only fatty?

-Spencer

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have this problem as well on a brand new 2020 base model I picked up last weekend. I'm grateful to have found a fix here, and hope the service department will handle this for me. I'm surprised Subaru hasn't addressed it pro-actively. That's disappointing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So glad I found this forum before purchasing a 2020 or 2021 - I found the same issue with both. I love the ride of the car and the visibility but I just don't know whether to purchase or not based on just this one issue. Test drove a few other similar vehicles but they are no where near the same in terms of ride quality or view of the road. But they all do have a much for flexible seatbelt buckle. The Forester's only moves a bit from front to back and no movement at all sideways. Seems like there should be an easy, Subaru-based fix for this but from what you all say here in this thread and from what the dealer says, I guess there is not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We noticed it also on a ride or two after purchase of 2021. The part on the belt has an angle on the plastic which does not help either. Door stop solution sound like good mitigation. If it has been reported since 2019, they should have fixed it by now.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts