Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving through some direct sunlight just now and to my horror noticed that there is an extremely large scratch on the dashboard display, behind the plastic. It’s not on the plastic cover, I confirmed. What do I do? My Forester has less than 800 miles on it!! How would the dealer fix that short of installing a new dashboard??

(Don’t worry, I pulled over into a parking lot to take the photos.)

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,282 Posts
Worse case scenario they might have to replace the instrument pod but certainly not the whole dashboard.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But it seems to be on the LCD screen itself, which is behind the plastic. Isn’t that a bigger fix?? Why would a car with less than 1K miles have this issue?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yeah if it's behind the plastic then it was during assembly. Take it back.

On our newer Hondas the plastic itself is easily scratched, haven't tested the plastic on the Subaru.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ugh. The dealer is saying that the replacement part may not be OEM, it “depends” what Subaru sends them.

This is not ok to me. I don’t want some refurbished display panel just because the dealership can’t get a replacement OEM part. What should I do? Call the dealer president and complain? It’s a six week old car. I shouldn’t be having an issue like this.

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
Ugh. The dealer is saying that the replacement part may not be OEM, it “depends” what Subaru sends them.

This is not ok to me. I don’t want some refurbished display panel just because the dealership can’t get a replacement OEM part. What should I do? Call the dealer president and complain? It’s a six week old car. I shouldn’t be having an issue like this.
How could a bezel to a display not be OEM? It isn't like there's a huge aftermarket for those things and there are lots of little shops out there making those things.. Sounds like an excuse to me.

Your car should have been delivered in perfect state. It wasn't.
It may cost them a lot in time, money and effort to get that part but that's them making their problem your problem.
If that effort is prohibitive to them, tell them you want a check for that cost. It will make living with that scratch easier. In legal terms that "will make you whole".

I'd complain to Subaru Of America.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How could a bezel to a display not be OEM? It isn't like there's a huge aftermarket for those things and there are lots of little shops out there making those things.. Sounds like an excuse to me.

Your car should have been delivered in perfect state. It wasn't.
It may cost them a lot in time, money and effort to get that part but that's them making their problem your problem.
If that effort is prohibitive to them, tell them you want a check for that cost. It will make living with that scratch easier. In legal terms that "will make you whole".

I'd complain to Subaru Of America.
It's not the bezel, it's the entire display itself. The whole display pod will need to be replaced.

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
It's not the bezel, it's the entire display itself. The whole display pod will need to be replaced.
Regardless, the same stance is made. The car isn't perfect as it should have been.
They should either make it perfect or make you whole. They can't just walk away from it because they deem it impractical.

·
Registered
353 Posts

They lie. If Subaru sends it, it's OEM. They're trying to get you to drop it by scaring you. IMO, while the scratch sucks, I'd just live with it as they will most likely cause more issues changing it out.

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
They lie. If Subaru sends it, it's OEM. They're trying to get you to drop it by scaring you. IMO, while the scratch sucks, I'd just live with it as they will most likely cause more issues changing it out.
Yeah, very true.
They'll likely hose it up and you'll have rattles or electrical gremlins pestering you until you get rid of the car.

So instead of them replacing it, try to get money out of them. Ask them how much replacing it would cost. They'll likely come up with some inflated number to scare you. Then figure out what you can live with and negotiate a deal.
Edit: in lieu of cash, perhaps negotiate for non-tangiables, like free oil changes, next X services free, an eventual timing belt replacement when the time comes (whatever you can dream up). It wouldn't cost them much at all but would save you money.
Regardless, I would not let it go.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I mean, it’s a six week old car, so it’s clearly under warranty. I’m inclined to have them fix it with ORIGINAL OEM parts AND get some free maintenance out of it.

I’m on my way to talk to the dealer president, and I will also call Subaru of America this afternoon.

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
645 Posts
Yeah, very true.
They'll likely hose it up and you'll have rattles or electrical gremlins pestering you until you get rid of the car.

So instead of them replacing it, try to get money out of them. Ask them how much replacing it would cost. They'll likely come up with some inflated number to scare you. Then figure out what you can live with and negotiate a deal.
Edit: in lieu of cash, perhaps negotiate for non-tangiables, like free oil changes, next X services free, an eventual timing belt replacement when the time comes (whatever you can dream up). It wouldn't cost them much at all but would save you money.
Regardless, I would not let it go.
Warranty repairs don’t come out of the dealers pocket. Dealer gets paid by SOA for warranty work, so the dealer isn’t going to pay you to not fix it.

This should be fixed under warranty, how much of the car they need to replace to make it right is not the customers concern.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
1,239 Posts
Id think twice before letting one of those monkeys pull the dash apart.
It will never be assembly line same again Im willing to bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,897 Posts
I'm wondering how it happened in the first place...
Maybe it was from that giant black arrow rotating under the plastic...
😆
So, you had the car for 6 weeks and finally noticed it? Maybe not so surprising that no one else did either. To them it's just another car.
If it bothers you that much, call SoA, since the dealer is balking, but like the Dock said above, you may be trading an innocuous problem you never even noticed for a lot more grief when it gets repaired. If they replace the dash and it rattles, for instance. It isn't like there is no risk involved in a major repair.
I'm thinking that rattles might bother you more than a scratch that can't even be seen unless it is in the right light.

To put it into perspective, if you wait a few more weeks, that scratch in the dash will pale in comparison to the huge door dings you get in the parking lot, or the chips in your paint when gravel gets kicked up by that truck in front of you, or all of the other things that can and will happen to a car when it is used as a vehicle.
It is practically impossible to keep a car that is driven in perfect condition.
Relax and enjoy the ride, or drive yourself crazy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm wondering how it happened in the first place...
Maybe it was from that giant black arrow rotating under the plastic...
😆
So, you had the car for 6 weeks and finally noticed it? Maybe not so surprising that no one else did either. To them it's just another car.
If it bothers you that much, call SoA, since the dealer is balking, but like the Dock said above, you may be trading an innocuous problem you never even noticed for a lot more grief when it gets repaired. If they replace the dash and it rattles, for instance. It isn't like there is no risk involved in a major repair.
I'm thinking that rattles might bother you more than a scratch that can't even be seen unless it is in the right light.

To put it into perspective, if you wait a few more weeks, that scratch in the dash will pale in comparison to the huge door dings you get in the parking lot, or the chips in your paint when gravel gets kicked up by that truck in front of you, or all of the other things that can and will happen to a car when it is used as a vehicle.
It is practically impossible to keep a car that is driven in perfect condition.
Relax and enjoy the ride, or drive yourself crazy.
Totally agree. It’s purely cosmetic but should not have happened in a brand new vehicle. And yes, I got my first paint chip. I didn’t even give it another thought. Those things are wear and tear that happen with any vehicle.

This is an issue with the production of the car, which I am upset about. Yes, there’s risk involved in any repair, but it’s under warranty and I will expect Subaru to make it right. As I said just now when I spoke to a representative at Subaru America, one of the reasons I chose a Subaru is because of the reputation Subaru has with standing behind their vehicles as well as their customer service. This is the first test for them in our relationship and I am interested to see how they respond.

·
Registered
70 Posts
As a retired ins adjuster, I used to come across interesting complaints, yours would be one of them. That cluster was assembled in 2 pieces basically, the inner part with components nestled in the inner "cup" and the outer "lens" that protects the assy and it appears it was damaged in the mating of the 2. Doesn't matter. You paid X amount of dollars for that car. You now have an eyesore that will be glaring at you every time you place your hands on that steering wheel. In psychology it is referred to as the missing tile syndrome where you walk into a room that has the entire ceiling full of beautiful tiles except for one that is missing and every time you enter that room your eye is drawn to that missing tile while overlooking all the other beautiful tiles. You paid for an undamaged product, your deserve resolution. As far as I know they are not making aftermarket stuff for it and that service writer is doing what he is paid to do. BS you and quiet you up as best he / she can. Do NOT ever accept that. Move out of your comfort zone and move up the ladder with your complaint until YOU believe it to be resolved, not just the word of a service writer saying "it has been resolved." If you have no satisfaction, continue up the ladder even if it reaches the head of SOA. These things get reviewed and when someone sees the hassle you were made to endure, the person responsible for those headaches will either be terminated and save alot of people down the line some trouble or will go through some customer training and become a better employee. Either way everyone comes out ahead.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update: New OEM instrument cluster has been ordered and my local dealer will perform the repair. I got involved with Subaru of America and they’ve offered me a $250 coupon for parts, accessories or service for the inconvenience. I think it pays to continue to advocate for yourself as a consumer. Hopefully this will have a happy ending the whole way around.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts