Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester CE
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Live in harsh winter in Canada and started seeing spots on my 2019 Subaru Forester, pictured on the tailgate and driver side panel door.

First time Subaru owner since I've used Toyota all my life.

I'm wondering if Subaru's are prone to rust since the Corolla I own for 10+ doesn't have rust anywhere?
Also, I've visited a dealership and was explained that those speckles on the driver side are due to the brake dust from wheels which have been known to cause those rust looking spots on the door panels. Is that true? And can I buff it out myself? The dealership is focused on the trunk and are not willing to get rid of those speckles since its a normal thing.

Any insights from Subaru owners welcomed and much appreciated

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,523 Posts
I'd suggest a call to Subaru of Canada to get some more information. While your dealer could/should be your first source, don't forget to go up the ladder.

Most modern cars have such sufficient rust proofing that additional should not be needed. Additionally, most manufacturers (at least here in the States) have warranty coverage for rust and corrosion. There is also the 3 year/36000 mile warranty coverage that should cover EVERYTHING - including potential surface rust or damage to the paint/finish.

And as many Subaru models are driving in the frigid cold areas of North America (from the border states to the mid-west and the north east) I would doubt that the temperature should have anything to do with it.

Personally? I think the service person at the dealership is trying to push you off. I can't speak of personal experience with anything like that for 2 main reasons - I drive a 2014 Forester (no rust issues or brake dust "speckles") and live in the desert southwest of the US - near Palm Springs - so rust is pretty much a non-issue. But the brake dust speckles description sounds dubious (at best).

If you have the ability, go to a different Subaru dealership and get another view. If not, directly contact Subaru of Canada.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
@StuckinGrader

The dealer isn't blowing smoke. Those appear to be what is a common issue caused by ferrous contamination embedded in the paint. Eventually, those contaminants can rust causing what is commonly referred to as blooms (rust blooms).

....and yes, sources are from things like "brake dust", "rail dust" during transportation or other exposure to these kinds of contaminants.

You might be surprised to know that there are actually products created to deal with exactly these types of things. More generally is something like detailing clay which can help or even solve the issue, but more specifically there are products like Iron-X that can help dissolve the rust and help release these bits from your paint.

In situations like these I like to use a decon product (like Iron-X) and then follow up with a clay bar. There are several good products on the market from reputable companies these days to choose from.

My suggestion is buy the products yourself, watch a couple videos if you need some guidance and knock it out. It's pretty straight forward process and I'll even help steer you in the right direction with the videos, etc. if needed.

If you're still leery, go to a reputable detailer in your area. .....not a car wash place but a real detailer. They'll be able to help you.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
99 Posts
I read this thread and my first thought was man you got a car that must have gone through the paint booth when there was a malfunction. There is no way you car should have any signs of rust this soon.

Then I washed my 2020 sport today and on the driver door panel at the bottom I have a chip that is shows rust. I haven't washed the car in about 2months being so busy now the weather is nice. But that spot was not there back in march.

Why is Subaru not using galvanized panels like everyone else? Had a honda for 4 years that a stop sign blew onto during a crazy storm and made a nasty groove down the passenger door deep into the metal. Never even put touch up paint on that and it was fine.

I've heard subaru paint is thin and cheap but wow this is pretty bad.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
@JohnLedden

A chip is not the same as rust blooms caused by contamination like what appears to be the OPs case.

In your scenario (chipped paint), the area should be prepped (which includes the removal of the rust) and touch up paint applied. I have a couple of the below prep pens I use for prepping chips prior to applying touch-up. They're cheap, effective and make it easy to clean out small chips. .....isolating the repair to as small an area as possible.

In the OPs case, I'm confident (from what I can see in the pictures) that this is just ferrous contamination. ....nothing to do with paint chips or their panel(s) rusting, etc. Even with clay you can make these things disappear but there is a chance they will simply shear off what's on top of the paint and the issue can reappear. .....which is why I suggested the use of an iron decon product.

A few years back there weren't too many to choose from but now there are several (some with improved, safer and better formulations) including products from Meguiars, Adams, CarPro, Chemical Guys, Poor Boy's World, Griot's Garage and the list goes on. Most are marketed as iron removers or fallout removers, etc. but their purpose is essentially the same.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Base Automatic
164 Posts
A friend of mine had these exact little rust dots on his white Corvette and the Corvette body is made of fiberglass. He drove in Indiana a lot where they have steel mills. The repair wasn't that bad but it had nothing to do with the body or paint quality. I wasn't able to get it out myself however, he took it to a detailer.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
873 Posts
Yup that's metal on the outside that has settled on your car from brakes or the environment. That's what is rusting, and rust proofing won't help with that. Watch some detailing videos on YouTube to see how to correct the problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts