Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone - had my 2019 now for a couple days. Still firmly in the break-in period.

Does anyone else notice a rough idle on start? It’s noticeably shaky on start when the blue “cold engine” light is on and the RPMs are 1200-1500. It’s not as noticeable, but still present, once warmed and down to ~700 RPM. I can clearly feel the shimmy through the driver seat in both scenarios.

Anyone else experiencing this? Or does it go away once through break-in? My first boxer, but I’m assuming this isn’t a normal characteristic! I’ve never noticed this in other vehicles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The car is brand new... so may be the engine bay need more isolation or the seats are just like this on every forester. Go for a test drive or ask other friends at Subaru Dealer...a second dealership could be interesting.
Vibration are not always an issue. But you will find out here and with the dealer ship.

Charles

Envoyé de mon SM-G950W en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
We have had our Forester Premium for about a month now. I noticed the same slight rough idle at cold startup the first time I started the car at home. I was hoping it would go away after a break-in, but I doubt it. Will need to talk to service supervisor when I take it in for my first oil change later this year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
@Velvety I’m a first time Subaru owner, purchased the 2019 Sport and I noticed a rough idle from a cold start. In addition, the engine will also stutter as if it is missing a spark plug or is not getting enough fuel. The engine stutter happened about 4 times since I purchased the Forester in July 2019. The stutter goes away after a few seconds. I haven’t taken it to the dealer yet.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Characteristics of a boxer engine. If it continues Once car is warmed up and driving then it might be an issue...

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have an appointment on Tuesday to see what they say.

I’ve read that it’s a “characteristic of a boxer engine” elsewhere, but the whole driver’s seat shakes when I’m sitting in it. That seems like an odd characteristic.

More concerning or frustrating is the loss of power and buck/lurch the car does when coasting or braking and drop down to 15mph. I’m hoping that isn‘t a feature!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Now that you mention it, I have also noticed the buck/lurch when coming to a stop. I am wondering if that is the collision avoidance computer kicking in and out based on the distance from the car in front.
Please let us know what you find out about both of those issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The stuttering is gone. Now I have white smoke from the exhaust only from a cold start that lasts about a minute. The weather is between 65-70 degrees. Smells like exhaust. It goes away after the engine is warm. After the smoke is gone, the smell of the exhaust goes away. This has happened about 5 times. I called the dealer and was told that the Pcv valve recall does not affect my forester since it was built in April 2019. My first Subie.... might be my last...never had issues like this with Toyota and Honda cars.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
833 Posts
You never had a high idle during a cold morning start on a Honda or a Toyota.???? I am sorry but you appear to know nothing about cars, and less about engines. Do a bit of research rather than make pointless conclusions. And I am sorry if this is trolling but I find the attitude and assumptions underlying your opinion to be more than a bit questionable. You smell unburnt gas when its cold because the engine is not at full efficiency at startup. Maybe your next car should be a Tesla, and that way you can avoid the particularities of internal combustion engines. But seriously do a bit of research rather than decrying something that is very normal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You never had a high idle during a cold morning start on a Honda or a Toyota.???? I am sorry but you appear to know nothing about cars, and less about engines. Do a bit of research rather than make pointless conclusions. And I am sorry if this is trolling but I find the attitude and assumptions underlying your opinion to be more than a bit questionable. You smell unburnt gas when its cold because the engine is not at full efficiency at startup. Maybe your next car should be a Tesla, and that way you can avoid the particularities of internal combustion engines. But seriously do a bit of research rather than decrying something that is very normal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for quick reply. You’re right that I don’t know much about engines...that’s why I’m reaching out for help from this community. Your comment helps reassure me to know this is probably normal. I’ve spent many hours researching this and found many possible causes from leaking coolant, head gasket issues, pcv valve issues, but none of them made sense. Condensation does sound plausible because it doesn’t happen everyday. Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
2020 Ice Silver Forester Touring
8 Posts
The stuttering is gone. Now I have white smoke from the exhaust only from a cold start that lasts about a minute. The weather is between 65-70 degrees. Smells like exhaust. It goes away after the engine is warm. After the smoke is gone, the smell of the exhaust goes away. This has happened about 5 times. I called the dealer and was told that the Pcv valve recall does not affect my forester since it was built in April 2019. My first Subie.... might be my last...never had issues like this with Toyota and Honda cars.
I just bought my first 2020 Forester and I noticed the white smoke on startup. I asked about it and they told me it was just steam if it was white and did not have a strong smell (which was my case). I'm coming from a 14 yr. old Honda (which never had steam) so I'm going to assume a difference in engine tech.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The condensation from exhaust is normal. Need to ask the people that have changed mufflers if they have this much condensation. On the CRV the remedy was to drill a hole in the muffler lowest point to drain it.

As for the stutter, yep, feels like a full on Miss or spark blow out. It's just your friendly boxer engine warming up.

·
Registered
2019 Premium w/eyesight
71 Posts
I notice the kinda extra vibration too. The cold start on these engines is a bit of a production. Between the super high idle and the extra noise and vibration I think of it as a Lycoming engine.
The boxer is a different engine and I’ve accepted the idiosyncrasies that go along with it. I think it’s unique and enjoy it.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Base
21 Posts
The original VW Beetle had a boxer engine, air-cooled. Boxers are not known for smooth running, irregardless what Subaru's advertisement says.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts