Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'19 Forester Sport
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody has tried to attach a roof top tent on the side rails of a Forester 19 without using crossbars.

I'm getting a Torro Skylux 4 ppl, and according to the company the side rails are enough. I've been reading a lot lately, and haven't seen anybody using an RTT without crossbars. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2001 Forester
2,177 Posts
I just looked on their website, and they provide very little information. I don't see how it would without cross bars. But that's just my opinion not based on fact of actually trying something like this.

·
Administrator
15,982 Posts
It may work but you would need to be very careful how it is mounted to avoid any see-sawing effect that eventually could loosen and/or damage the rail mounting points.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium 2.5i, 6-speed manual, moon-roof, fog lights, skid-plates, winch, 2nd bedroom
43 Posts
I have the Rhino-rack bars under a Skycamp mini for a very easy install. Just sitting here thinking about mounting it to the side rails, makes me smile about money well spent for the bars.
The big question is how much of the mounting system do you have to create, to mount it to the side rails?

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i
17 Posts
Looking at the specs for the 4 person Torro Skylux:
  • Weight: 160 lbs (Racks should support 165 lbs Dynamic Weight Load)
I think the forester is only rated for 150 lb dynamic load (even if the crossbars are rated for higher). I would check that to be sure.

·
Registered
'19 Forester Sport
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Mgator, based on the owners manual, it states the moving weight must not exceed 176 lbs. That was another reason for thinking on no basket or crossbars over the side rails since I would like to put bedding inside the RTT.

Based on everybody's comments, I'll be cautious and get crossbars.

Thanks everyone for the help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts