Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2019 - Roof Basket VS. Luggage Rails?

('19+) 
9K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  FozzieBalou 
#1 · (Edited)
Roof Basket vs. Luggage Rails vs. Cargo Net?

This is my first Forester and first SUV of any kind.

I'm looking at doing some light camping coming up, and I know I'm not going to have enough space in the trunk for all of my friends' bags, gear, cooler, barbecue, etc.

I plan on putting the heavier stuff like the cooler full of food and ice as well as the barbecue in the trunk and then putting the bags and camping gear (tents / sleeping bags) on the roof.

Just looking for recommendations / votes of what the best option is if I just want to spend money on 1 roof hauling option.

I imagine the main advantage of the basket is being able to chuck anything into it without worrying about scratching the roof? I'm fine with placing a tarp or blanket down first in order to use the rails, and the roof will mostly just be soft suitcases / bags...no hard objects that will scratch the paint.

I'm looking to get the job done for the least amount of money and hassle, although I don't want to invest in cheap crap that will break after a couple years or snap and send my luggage flying on the highway, so whatever is needed to get a quality setup that will last and get the job done is what I'm interested in.

If it's a tie between the two, I imagine that the rails are easier to store in my apartment vs. a basket, so any thoughts from that angle would be appreciated as well.

Or...should I just get a bungie net and just strap everything down tight using the existing side rails?

This seems like the cheapest option, but is it recommended to get the crossbars for added security?

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
my vote is the basket because im not using the storage all the time. didnt want the hassle of taking on or off. and larger items can be carried. and looks i also mounted a light bar on the rack!

BASKET i love the look it gives the fozzy and it can be used say check in luggage, boxes, and even larger items which i have used picking and dropping people off at the airport. down fall is strapping them down and worrying about leaving the car and things out in the open. Also in some parking garages you might not fit with or without cargo.

CARGO POD awesome to throw and put your mind at ease because they can be locked. but more often then not you will stray from parking garages, well in my area, since its given height (unless you get one the thinner stream line type) but you wont be able to use for larger items.

both will mess with your MPG, and like you said apartment dont know if you have a place to store if you want to take it off.

another option is a ROOF CARGO BAG easily taken off when not in use

hope this helps!

#13 ·
my vote is the basket because im not using the storage all the time. didnt want the hassle of taking on or off. and larger items can be carried. and looks i also mounted a light bar on the rack!

BASKET i love the look it gives the fozzy and it can be used say check in luggage, boxes, and even larger items which i have used picking and dropping people off at the airport. down fall is strapping them down and worrying about leaving the car and things out in the open. Also in some parking garages you might not fit with or without cargo.

CARGO POD awesome to throw and put your mind at ease because they can be locked. but more often then not you will stray from parking garages, well in my area, since its given height (unless you get one the thinner stream line type) but you wont be able to use for larger items.

both will mess with your MPG, and like you said apartment dont know if you have a place to store if you want to take it off.

another option is a ROOF CARGO BAG easily taken off when not in use
Good explanations! I went through all this last year and settled on Yakima aero bars used in great shape and a new Yakima basket for great internet deal. MPG dropped about 1-2mpg combined running up to and above freeway speeds with bunch of camping gear in the basket and back of Forester packed and two peeps. It makes more wind noise than I like so I remove the basket only and store in the garage when I'm not using it. Very quick on/off once you setup where the cross bars should be for your use. I centered bars on rails, in other word equidistant from both ends if that makes sense.

Also bought bungee web and returned it, sucks cause winds will blow the load off the rack and it can fall out of the basket. Spent couple hours reattaching load and tied down with rope I had. Some small quick ratchet or motorcycle style tie-downs are best ime. Bungee cords maybe if they are really stretched tightly, but we had some nasty cross winds in addition to road speed.

Rocket box or whatever you want to call it is nice, but limits size and shape of items to be carried.

Bag with a basket is good if nothing is too big for it, but we had folding chairs, camp stove, sleeping bags, pads, gas can etc and therefore no bag. Tarp it under the tie-downs if needed.

#5 ·
With other vehicles with side rails, I'd put down a cheap tarp, load gear on the roof, then fold the tarp up. Rear flap folded forward over gear, then left or right side over, then the other side, then front flap back over all of it and use a web net to hold it all in place. However, the Forester moon roof is glass on top and loading directly to the roof, even with a tarp is not a good idea. Nor is there a lof of room if you just load aft of the window. You can add a basket without cross rails, I believe. OTOH, cross rails can add a lot of flexibility in carrying other sorts of loads. I'm adding cross rails because I have some loads that are too long for the typical basket (long wood traditional tent poles) and might not secure well or safely on top of a basket front/rear rails alone.

I keep telling myself I'll take the rails off between uses but expect I won't after the first time or two.

#6 ·
many systems, when i was looking into them use the cross rails to lock into. so you need the side rails for the cross rails. personally i dont know a system that dosent utilize a rail system so there could be one out there like a roof cargo bag which is a temporary storage.

#7 ·
@kevinjc85 -
You have lots of options.
One thing to consider with the baskets or other relatively large semi-permanently attached roof structures is that they aren't an easy on and off proposition, so unless you have lots of hours to go through that exercise they will be on the car.

Some people like the look, but that comes with a cost.
Anything permanently mounted up there will cause you a reduction in your MPGs every time you drive whether you use the roof storage or not.
As the Forester isn't very aerodynamic to begin with, the addition of roof drag will hurt your wallet, especially if you drive at interstate speeds.
They also add to the wind noise level.
Those tradeoffs may be worthwhile if you frequently need the extra cargo space.
If you only need occasional storage, the downsides win.

You could always walk around with a backpack "just in case" or because it looks cool too...
Those may be valid reasons, but you are still carting around extra weight you don't need most of the time.

You may want to consider Aerobars, which are intended to stay attached, but they have minimal wind resistance when nothing else is up there.
There is lots of stuff you can directly attach to them, or use them to temporarily attach lots of other stuff that can easily be removed when you want better mileage.

#8 ·
I use crossbars, basket and roof bag.

Bare roof always seemed very weak. Always seemed to flex a lot when even a light load was applied. I Just don't trust the roof.

Crossbars are, to me, a must have. They are perfect for general transport like lumber, Christmas tree and alike.

Basket is my favorite for sure. I store it when not needed. Perfect for camping.

Bag is kind of a luxury item, but very handy. I actually use it in the basket because my distrust if the bare roof.

I know it really sounds like too much, but I did it all pretty low budget as rack solutions can run into serious money.

My basket was about $100...[ame]https://www.amazon.com/59504-V-Tex-Rooftop-Cargo-Basket/dp/B004R34HDC/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?keywords=roof+basket+cargo+carrier&qid=1556683115&s=gateway&sr=8-5[/ame]

My bag was about $100 and the crossbars were about $200 (I paid too much I think, they were OEM).

A lot I know, but I now have a lot of options at a reasonable price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

#16 ·
I use crossbars, basket and roof bag.

Bare roof always seemed very weak. Always seemed to flex a lot when even a light load was applied. I Just don't trust the roof.

Crossbars are, to me, a must have. They are perfect for general transport like lumber, Christmas tree and alike.

Basket is my favorite for sure. I store it when not needed. Perfect for camping.

Bag is kind of a luxury item, but very handy. I actually use it in the basket because my distrust if the bare roof.

I know it really sounds like too much, but I did it all pretty low budget as rack solutions can run into serious money.

My basket was about $100...[ame]https://www.amazon.com/59504-V-Tex-...carrier&qid=1556683115&s=gateway&sr=8-5[/ame]

My bag was about $100 and the crossbars were about $200 (I paid too much I think, they were OEM).

A lot I know, but I now have a lot of options at a reasonable price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
@SubaruDan ,
How is that basket for long term use? I don't have enough space to be taking a basket on and off and I have read some horror stories about baskets dripping rust all over the roof. But spending 400-500 for a Yakima also really isn't in the budget right now. Really appreciate any info you have.

#9 ·
I have the exact same Yakima rooftop box that HeyChris has. It can be a one-person tool-free on/off operation that takes maybe 10 minutes on or 10 minutes off, but it's even quicker with two people. We just leave the crossbars on our cars and put the rooftop box on either car that needs it. We put skis, ski boots, helmets, poles, in it. When our kid was younger, we'd put folded playpens, strollers, and that sort of stuff up there. It does affect fuel economy but if we're not going skiing or not carrying a lot of stuff, we can just leave the box in the garage. It does keep things dry and it does lock.

It is however just thin plastic, and often after a road trip I find dried bees, moths, etc in the box, because I think the air goes up the windshield, against the opening in the box, and some small stuff makes it inside. But I guess with a rooftop rack, you'd get mosquitoes and other bugs impacted on the front of your stuff (or on the tarp covering it).

Our box has a lot of scuffs on the top because we do drag it on some stuff in underground parkades. Signs, those horizontal metal tubes that hang by chains at the entrance to tell you how much clearance there is, etc. The box doesn't keep me out of any but the smallest of parkades (2007 or 2018 Forester). The RX350 is a much tighter fit though.

#10 ·
I love my roof basket for camping. All the dirty shoes, tarp, tent, etc that needs to be cleaned up when I get home goes on top. I usually throw folding chairs on top of the pile and use bungie cords to secure.

I made the mistake of getting a budget cargo basket off amazon. Wouldn't do that again. I had to take the entire thing apart and spray it with bedliner in a can. It started rusting from all the joints.

#11 · (Edited)
We camp a lot and have limited space. We go with rails and foldable cargo bag.

The limitations are mentioned. If it rains heavy, water does make it’s way in. We keep some green garbage bags to put most things in them we anticipate rain or snow.

Another limitation is when you don’t have much stuff to fill the cargo bag. It’s much better when you pack it to half or more capacity.

Lastly, securing the bag’s various straps etc can take a little more time when preparing for the road trip. Unloading is easier but, you likely have to unpack everything in the bag at the destination.

The bag is flexible to accommodate different shapes of items. Cargo pods being rigid, might have some compromises with what you put up there.

It’s easy to fold up and store when not in use. So are the rails.

I remove the rails because MPGs do take a considerable hit on highway travel.

A bag likely affects MPGs more than a cargo pod.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#12 ·
To use a roof basket I believe you would need cross bars unless you get a very expensive low profile roof platform. I would not load the roof surface with anything as it is not designed as loadbearing.

I have a roof basket which I think is very versatile and very sturdy. When getting it loaded I usually climb up on it to tie everything down and it feels completely solid walking on it, the roof surface would flex and complain.

Roof basket is noisier when the roof is open, not so noticeable when the roof is closed. It does impose a significant MPG penalty of 4~ish MPG. When not in use to save wear and tear and fuel I unlatch it and hang it from the back wall of the garage. It only takes a couple of minutes to take off / put on so you can switch from overland mode to commuter mode easily.

If I was driving cross country I might want a pod for weather protection and aerodynamics but the basket is still versatility king. With a dog in the trunk and Mom and baby in the back seat the roof becomes the home of the high chair / cooler/ milk crates of odds and ends. Looks the "family vacation" part.

#15 ·
There are many Roof Cargo Bags out there. I purchase one from WeatherTech (Roof Sack) that you might want to check out. Be careful if any product states it is waterproof. While it might be, I'd recommend putting anything that has to stay dry in heavy duty trash bags before putting in the roof bag. You'll probably need a folding stool to reach it all too! Nice feature is that once dry it can be folded and stored.

#19 · (Edited)
As said depends, I'm tall but you'll need two people (or maybe rig up some long boards to slide it up or use a manual hoist attached to strong garage rafters) to lift it up top without scratching paint or dinging up your car. I bought Yakima aero bars which one person can do but two is helpful and makes it go faster. I leave those on all year and they are very quiet and don't affect mpg. The basket is also Yakima and it definitely makes noise and decreases mpg. I used it twice and it sits in my shed. Friend bought a large lockable aerodynamic cargo box barely used off CL for his Forester and we've used that several times since and it's way quieter and much much more convenient to haul camping gear etc in!!!

#21 ·
Thanks all for the thoughts. I'm in an NYC apartment so as much as the cargo box sounds best, we don't wanna haul it inside (though we could get crazy and suspend from the ceiling 🙂). And leaving it on year-round seems also annoying.

We started with a cargo bag that we tie to the included Limited trim rails and it's great so far, but I don't love that a few inches of it rest on the moon roof (we use the pad). It's probably fine as I make sure little weight is right there, but I'm not sure how much pressure there is once the straps are cranked down.

Hence, considering a basket the bag would go in. Also we also definitely plan to get the aero bars eventually for winter ski rack connectivity.

Good to know others' experiences!

#26 ·
Quite frankly, the wind noise isn't that bad IME when we had the rack on my wife's 2008 loaded with camping gear and I suspect it will be less so on her 2020 when we finally get the chance to really use it. ....but I don't use tarps nor do we don't load it up in bad weather. Then again, we don't usually put stuff up there that can be ruined if it doesn't stay dry.

@oscillatingkoala
As far as mileage, I never noticed a dramatic difference with the basket loaded but then again, we are not typically loading items higher than it's depth. Weight probably plays more of a factor but I've never had a "oh wow" moment at the pump.

When empty, again, even less so of an impact in my experience. With my wife's 2008, the difference I noticed was within 1MPG but its hard to tell given that we could have that variation regardless. In either case, it was not concerning. I am curious however to see the difference on her 2020.

I can fit so much in our full length basket. .....our tent(s), 10'x10' EasyUp, chairs, etc. and still have room to spare. We keep bungies of assorted sizes in the back of her car and that's what we use to tie things down. On longer trips when going camping, etc., I use a Yakima net made for the basket as an added precaution. It's very form-fitting and helps tie everything together in the unlikely event something breaks loose.

I have no idea about the additional racks attaching to the basket or how that stuff may safely attach to one without damaging the equipment or flying off.

I use ours for transporting bulky items beyond beach trips, camping, etc. That could mean items from my local home improvement store or wherever to be honest. That's another reason we leave it on most times because it's there if we need it.

Cargo boxes are nice but it really depends on your own scenario and how you're going to use these things. For me, I don't have much use for them at all. I wouldn't trade our cargo basket for one.

#24 ·
I use the twin to the Rola basket (the Reese) and leave it on all the time. As I've attached lights to the basket, it would be more difficult to pop on and off...

The Reese is 43" long at the bottom (and leans back so it's also 43" on top) and it's 3 sections... not sure of the weight but it's not that heavy - probably 20 lbs? The more difficult part about moving it about is the fact that it's a big flat cage.

By leaving it up there all the time, am I hurting my MPG? Yes. But as most of my driving is around town, I'm not seeing great MPG to begin with. A benefit of the basket up on top is that it's always easy to see in the parking lots when out and about... My mom is short and it's another way she can see where I'm parked, as well. And I never have to worry about "oh, where am I gonna put this _ that I just bought?" as I know I can put much up there and just strap it down.

With the lights installed -

#25 ·
All such helpful perspective today, folks! Let me ask basket owners this -- when are you most appreciating that basket?

I'd also consider leaving it on all the time assuming the MPG hit isn't as bad as a box, and that we're not driving the car daily here in Brooklyn. They seem great for being able to quickly bungee/net down this-and-that, and great for a fair-weather camping weekend or beach run. But I'm wondering what else you realistically put in there?

On my potential cons for baskets list -- I'm not seeing a way for skis and snowboard to attach to the thing, so assume I'd have to remove and replace it with a ski rack for that season. I'd also imagine wanting a weather-resistant cargo bag to fit inside (I have the Sherpak Go 15), looks like that get's tight with some baskets but I assume it's doable with others.

#27 ·
I don't ski (live in Sunny SoCal) but I'd be almost sure that there are accessories for baskets that can lock in skis and snowboards.

But I've thrown my recovery gear up there, my gazelle pop-up gazebo set, my 80-plus year old mom's Hugo 4-wheel walker, camping gear, camping tables and chairs and more. I've loaded up a few bikes during some toy drives and a cargo bag full of toys...

I know many off-road based Forester owners that also mount up their spare tire (full size), off-road jacks, shovels, hatchets and other tools. You can use your cargo bag (just strap it in) or more....

Like Kean, the MPG hit has been minor - maybe 1 MPG at most? There is a bit more noise from the basket as the wind hits the faring and creates turbulence... I get a whistle since I added the brackets for my Ironman4x4 awning - mostly because it's an L-shape bracket and then the mounting point.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.