Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Crosstrek Ltd
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I believe the Fosgate sub output is disabled by factory.
I am interested in the Rockford Fosgate system. I currently have a Rockford Fosgate P300-10 subwoofer, that I would put inside the Forester. Would I be able to put in the Subaru Rockford Fosgate system and add in the P300-10 sub?

Also, anyone listen to the Rockford system yet in a '19? Does it sound good?

·
Registered
19 Forester cvt
73 Posts
Didn't bother to listen to the stock system in a '19, but the Fosgate upgrade in a '19 Forester base model is far better fidelity than the stock system in our '18 Outback Premium. My goal was to sound better than the Outback without going to a trim level where the Harmon Kardon was an option, especially as Harmon Kardon is hardly a hi fidelity brand. The Fosgate's not perfect, and not all enveloping, but its nice clean sound with far more realistic depiction of the instruments, particularly from the midrange up. If your focus is on bass, this may not get you there, as the equalization at that end seems artificial -- but I haven't tried tuning the tone yet.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,442 Posts
All I know is the Fos system I have in my evo is bad azzz. One of the most balanced stock systems I have heard

Love her

·
Registered
19 Forester cvt
73 Posts
Turns out the guys at the dealer who put it in had the 3-band equalization far from flat. After playing with it some, flat is best with this -- which means the processor truly is well-tuned for the vehicle. Bass is still thin, but runs surprisingly low in frequency -- just weak on bass overtones. Drums have a realistic punch; electric guitars and vocals sound fine.

I note Subaru's listings for this are confused. The parts listing has it compatible with the base Forester. One of the Forester flyers only has the higher models ticked as taking it. (A strategy to upsell?) I've got the base, 4-speaker Forester. This went in and works just fine. Installing it is a bit of an operation though, so I'm glad I had the dealer do it. It's only reportedly the third or fourth one this dealer had done. I wonder if total sales amount to much.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Contacted RF Today

I contacted RF asking for more details on the upgrade kit. They said it's their Flex 41 amp specifically designed for Forester OEM. The amp will not do subs, you would need an additional amp to add a sub.

I've read elsewhere that there isn't enough juice to power it unless the engine is running. Any confirmation on this?

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
631 Posts
I splurged for the HK option 24 package in the Sport. I am an old school car audio guy and i can tell you that I am pretty impressed. The front stage HKs in the door are 6x9s. My understanding with the RF upgrade is that you will get two 6x9s and an amp. RF speakers are said to be punchier than HK and if this is true, you will be amazed.

I have never been a fan of 6x9s until I heard these HKs. They have amazing knee bumping power. I have not investigated inside the door skins yet, but it sounds like these are running about 80-2000 Hz with no mid highs. Which I think is perfect. The 3" dash speakers provide mid/highs and creates amazing staging.

What kind of setup do you have in your car? Are there dash speakers? The sport is supposed to have 9 speakers, but there are only 7 speaker locations, so I dont know if they are counting the tweeters mounted inside the 3" dash mids as a set of speakers.

Can anyone confirm?

As a car audio enthusiest. I told myself I would leave this car alone since it sounds so great, but I am really struggling to do it. I am having a new sub built. I hope to get it installed on Friday. The sport comes with an 8" sub, and it blends in real nice, but damn, I just need more.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Lineartronic® CVT
324 Posts
I have the OEM Rockford Fosgate upgrade. It is well worth the upgrade.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
47 Posts
I just had the Rockford Fosgate audio upgrade installed in my 2019 base model today. It sounds really good. Eventually will add dash speakers and replace the rear speakers without an amp. It would be nice to have an OEM subwoofer option.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Any update on the Rockford Fosgate Audio Upgrade?
Those who have it, worth it?
I had the Rockford Fosgate upgrade installed in my 2020 Forester today. There was a bit of a mixup at the dealership -- thought they'd ordered it when they hadn't -- so I got to experience two weeks with the stock stereo before my upgrade came in.

Is it worth it? Qualified yes. It's clearly a better sound system... but the stock system wasn't bad. The Fosgate just has a little better bass (the upgrade replaces the 6x9 speakers in the doors with a better quality 6x9, and adds an amp under the passenger seat. It does not replace the tweeters up under the windshield, or the round speakers (5"?) in the cargo bay.) With the 2nd amp it gets loud (louder than anyone needs while driving!) Fiddling with the EQ in the dash, I bumped up the high end +6 and the midrange +2 in order to balance the new low end. End result though is very good.

But not state of the art. For $594 it seems a little overpriced.

Now I have a couple questions for you. My old 1998 Forester had a powered subwoofer under the driver's seat, which I pulled out when I traded it in. The Rockford Fosgate Flex41 amp in the new car does have a subwoofer output -- but I can't tell if it's line level or amplified. It has a proprietary 4-conductor connector that looks like maybe it's speaker outputs (not RCA line level) but the Rockford Fosgate website is singularly unhelpful on this point.

Second, under the passenger seat the upgrade kit provided two HVAC deflectors to re-route the underseat air vents around the new amplifier. I should probably do the same thing under the driver's seat -- but have been unable to find a part number for these deflectors. Anybody?

·
Registered
1 Posts
The stock Forester sound systems have been pretty mediocre for many years now. We have owned Foresters since they came out in 1998, and the system in that car was bad, bad, bad.

Along the way, we would periodically get the upgraded sound systems in our Foresters. In my view, the best one was the Kicker system in 2018. That changed either 4 or 6 speakers, and did not have a separate amp like the new system does. But, it sounded a lot better than the new Rockford Fosgate system does. The $575 option puts an amp under the passenger seat and 2 "upgraded" speakers in the front doors. The sound is decent at mid level volume. One click too many, though, and it immediately sounds harsh and boomy. And, that sound level isn't that loud. Better than the stock system? Yup, by a very small margin. Worth $575? NOPE, not close. If I could do it over, what would I do? Go with the stock system. Save your money, folks. If you like the Harmon Kardon system in the Limited and Touring editions, plan on spending the $1,700 to get that sound. The Rockford Fosgate gets you 10% better sound than the stock unit... and that's about it.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Lineartronic® CVT
324 Posts
@Rcarlberg what was the install vs. part cost on that upgrade?

·
Registered
71 Posts
You can get the kit for $380 and self install was super easy imo. It's worth every penny vs stock. Look at a Cerwin Vega spare tire sub if you want to really fill in the low end and keep a stock look and a trunk.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I'm torn here. I am on the fence of buying out my 2019 Forester lease or buying what would be a 2021 or 2022 Subaru Outback Touring XT.

I'd like to hear more opinions on the RF upgrade. I love music and I can tell the difference in quality from my previous 2011 Outback Limited with the HK Audio compared to the 2019 Forester Premium with stock speakers. I don't want to install this myself, but I'd have a dealer do it at my next service appointment. I can probably find a 20% discount code.

I'd also might want to add Footwell Lighting and Sport Grille options but I may be willing to do those myself.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm torn here. I am on the fence of buying out my 2019 Forester lease or buying what would be a 2021 or 2022 Subaru Outback Touring XT.

I'd like to hear more opinions on the RF upgrade. I love music and I can tell the difference in quality from my previous 2011 Outback Limited with the HK Audio compared to the 2019 Forester Premium with stock speakers. I don't want to install this myself, but I'd have a dealer do it at my next service appointment. I can probably find a 20% discount code.

I'd also might want to add Footwell Lighting and Sport Grille options but I may be willing to do those myself.
It improves volume, clarity, spacial timing and the tune. The included front door speakers 6*9s are very nice and have great low end.. your average person will not need more bass. Set the factory eq to flat as the built in dsp, and eq is tuned specifically for the best sound in the Forester. The DSP and eq are set specifically to make the most of the stock tweeters and rear door speakers, I wouldn't bother changing them you will fight sound quality as aftermarket will sound in general way way too bright. Especially at higher volume.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
1,987 Posts
In my view, the best one was the Kicker system in 2018. That changed either 4 or 6 speakers, and did not have a separate amp like the new system does. But, it sounded a lot better than the new Rockford Fosgate system does. The $575 option puts an amp under the passenger seat and 2 "upgraded" speakers in the front doors. The sound is decent at mid level volume. One click too many, though, and it immediately sounds harsh and boomy. And, that sound level isn't that loud. Better than the stock system? Yup, by a very small margin. Worth $575? NOPE, not close. If I could do it over, what would I do? Go with the stock system. Save your money, folks. If you like the Harmon Kardon system in the Limited and Touring editions, plan on spending the $1,700 to get that sound. The Rockford Fosgate gets you 10% better sound than the stock unit... and that's about it.
While I know that this is an older post - do you need an amp for the kicker upgrade? I've seen the full set of speakers online (through ebay and such) and would be interested to up the sound in my 2014 Foz Limited with the stock head unit and 6 speakers (2 in-dash tweets, 2 front doors, 2 rear doors).... I'd like to get some better sound for sure but don't want to spend a ton of $$$ and don't need touch screen or android auto or any of that. And didn't want to go with an aftermarket unit and deal with having to lose my ipod compatibility and/or steering wheel controls and the like.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Thanks for your reply @stumblinh

For what it’s worth most of my musical preference is in the Classic Rock 70’s-80’s 90’s into Alternative Grunge 90’s. So we are talking Tom Petty, Rolling Stones, Beatles, and then to more modern tracks like Oasis, Foo Fighters, RHCP, STP, Pearl Jam, and the like. I don’t really listen to hip hop so I’m not missing the booming bass beats here.

Have to figure out if I want to do this myself. I’ve read posts that this is a rough one.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks for your reply @stumblinh

For what it’s worth most of my musical preference is in the Classic Rock 70’s-80’s 90’s into Alternative Grunge 90’s. So we are talking Tom Petty, Rolling Stones, Beatles, and then to more modern tracks like Oasis, Foo Fighters, RHCP, STP, Pearl Jam, and the like. I don’t really listen to hip hop so I’m not missing the booming bass beats here.

Have to figure out if I want to do this myself. I’ve read posts that this is a rough one.
Many of those artists are in my daily playlist.. I felt the system handled it well.. it's nice to feel those drums hit, it certainly can handle the bigger bass tracks but I didn't feel it sounded poorly playing any of my 90s grunge favorites. The Rockford system sounds way better than the kicker counterpart.. not at those speakers were bad but there's not power behind them and there's no tune or DSP. If you're going to go bigger or aftermarket I can give you some ideas but the Rockford system will play what you want well and it will be a thousand times better than stock, an absolutely better than just changing speakers. Worth every penny.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Excellent. Thank you! Now have to decide if I want to tackle this myself or not!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts