Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone self installed the Rockford Fosgate audio upgrade?

I downloaded the install interactions and it doesn't look hard, but it also doesn't give a ton of detail on how to remove the trim panels - especially the ones around the glove box.

I've got trim removal tools and am relatively handy so I think I can figure it out, but it would be great to hear from someone who's already done it.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Lineartronic® CVT
185 Posts
I did. The trim around the glove box isn’t difficult. Be very careful not to break the clips. Using the correct tools is a necessity.
The most difficult part is removing the dash panels around the headunit. The vents and the top trim piece are really difficult to remove.
I estimate it took a few hours to install, mostly because the car was a week old and I was meticulous about not breaking or scratching anything.

Take lots of photos before you remove anything, and after each step. It was quite helpful in putting it all back together. Take a photo of the rear of the headunit before you disconnect anything

I would do the install of the wiring harness in reverse. Install the amp and the wiring and work the wiring back to the headunit. This wayyou have sufficient slack in the harness behind the headunit. Mine was a bit snug, but there was little means of correction after everything was run and zip-tied.

@Sdcerreta would be a resource, and I used his stereo install thread and the photos were a great help.

You might consider installing the remote start module at the same time. The installation is nearly exact with regard to removing the glovebox and passenger side trim panels.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Definitely not hard to do and the directions will get you there. It will take a few hours just being cautious. If you pay attention to the tie off spots for the zip ties and make sure they match the photos you will have proper slack on both ends.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback.

On the trim around the glovebox, does the top piece come off by going up towards the windshield or back towards the back of the car? Also the instructions say to remove the piece to the right, and in my Sport model, on cursory inspection, there doesn't seem to be a separate piece there. It all looks molded in.

Also, with the upgrade does the radio stay on after the ignition is turned off? I saw a couple of threads on different sites where they said it did not.

And lastly, any recommendations on where to buy? My local dealer sent a 20% off accessory coupon, which brings their price down to ~$350.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm trying to install the Rockford Fosgate amp. I've been able to get all the trim off, but am stuck trying to remove the actual head unit. There's not much slack in the wiring harness to pull it out, and I can't get a good angle to release the clip on the bottoms while also pulling the harness out. Any tips?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Lineartronic® CVT
185 Posts
This was difficult due to the short wires, as you describe.
My first suggestion: take a photo of the connections before you move or disconnect anything. There are little jumpers and a light brown/slightly lighter brown set of wires that can be confusing.
Second suggestion: put some painter’s tape around the opening. Those tabs on the headunit are a scratch to the trim waiting to happen as you try to maneuver to get to the wiring.
I found no good solution to create extra slack. There isn’t a harness clip or any extra cable behind there. I had to have my wife make the connections because I couldn’t get my hands into the small space.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rockford fosgate 1 - TechniKal 0.

After 2 days of frustration, skint hands, bloody knuckles and cussing, I gave up and scheduled an appointment at an installer. I'm embarrassed by my mechanical incompetence - I'm usually decently good at this stuff - but this one beat me. Sigh...

Fwiw I installed the door speakers. Removing the factory speakers shows why the sound isn't great - that are about the same weight as what you'd find in a alarm clock radio. The RF speakers are significantly more substantial. Even without the amp, the sound is much better. Looking forward to hearing it with the amp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts