Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am so glad you asked this question, because I have a great answer for you. But first, we live in Reno NV and drive on dry pavement most of the year. But in winter storms, the roads are never plowed well. We contend with abundant mountain snow driving to Lake Tahoe and across the pass into Cali. Good snow traction, as well as good handling and smooth ride on dry pavement is essential. So what tires do I roll? Vredestein Quatrac 5. They are '3 snowflake' rated. I have them on two Foresters. My son, avid skier, has them on his Impreza. You can buy them at Big O Tires, though they have to order them for you. They are priced less than Michelin and Continental, but outperform both of them. I've tried Michelin, Continental, Toyo, Hankook, and Pirelli on many Subarus, and nothing has come close to these for performance, ride, and wear.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Limited CVT
23 Posts
Hello: It's time to replace my original tires. I've had recommendations from a couple of places (including dealer) for the following, and would appreciate feedback from anyone familiar with them. They are: General Altimax RT43; Continental TrueContact Tour; Firestone Destination LE3; Michelin Defender. Looking for a mid-grade all-weather tire that will perform adequately in upper Midwest winters, and are not horribly noisy (and I assume I am looking for all-weather, not all-season -- I understand there is a difference). Don't want to buy the cheapest but don't need top of the line either. Thanks.
I'm pleased with my Goodyear Assurance Outlast tires from Walmart. Good price, quiet, and work well in Indiana winters.

·
Registered
2019 Premium CVT
71 Posts
Removed the Bridgestone Ecopia tires that came on my 2019 Forester Premium after 2,400 miles and the first eighth-of-an-inch snowfall due to their potential for causing an early demise to the Forester and its occupants.

Replaced them with Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady.

After two Michigan winters and 23,000 miles could not be happier with their year-round performance. Tire wear appears to be negligible.

Recommended them to a friend, also a Michigan resident, for his hybrid Lexus RX SUV. He, too, could not be happier with their performance in the snow.

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.5X Automatic
74 Posts
OP: the tires you listed has a wide price ranges and those tires are priced from economy to premium, e.g. General Altimax RT43 tires are a lot cheaper than Michelin Defender tires. Also all-weather tires have three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol (Severe Snow Service) rated with a tire wearing rating, i.e. the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady that Mithras mentioned, it's got 700AA so that's pretty good for tire wear, A for traction and A for temperature.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Touring 2.5 CVT
204 Posts
General Altimax RT43 is pretty good, also take a look at Cooper Evolution HT which is a quieter ride than Altimax. Both tires will do fine in Upper Midwest.
Yes they are the best inexpensive tire I have ever owned. The T rated has a longer gaurentee than the higher speed rated V tire. I don't know if it's bad luck or weak carcass, but I did have flats. To be fair the culprits were a 1/2" x 4" or so steel rod and the other was some construction debris. I like the Michelin Cross Climate 2 but they are getting noisier. Great in the snow.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have Cross Climate on mine. Been about 4k miles. They track well, do great in snow & handle much better than OEM Falken. I would buy again

·
Registered
2015 XT Touring CVT
468 Posts
for cheap tires that seems to be decent quality look into Achilles. I run the ATR Sport2 and they were like $70 a tire at Walmart plus install. they make AS and All terrain tires too and a few of my friends that have had them have had good experiences for how cheap they are.

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.5X Automatic
74 Posts
My tire size is 215/65/16 and too bad that Toyo Celsius doesn't have this size available. Toyo Celsius is a pretty good all weather tires (3 peak mountain snowflake rated), my parents have that on their Ford Escape

21 - 33 of 33 Posts