Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My orange trim is peeling and I am wanting to remove the pieces and plastidip them. I was told they just 'pop off'. Does anyone have experience with this? Pictures or videos are always appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Rubber band
461 Posts
Interior or exterior trim? Could you add a pic. Not good for trim to peel in less than a year. Dealer should fix that under warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know I can pop out the interior pieces but it is the exterior pieces I am wanting to take off. If you feel them, they feel like they could snap on and off but before I try to take them off, I thought I would ask. I will get some pictures when it stops raining and show you. The main part peeling or chipping is the front grill/bumper strip.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Rubber band
461 Posts
OK, so more road/rock damage than peeling. You could Plasti-dip spray and cover the damage. It would take masking off around the orange bits to spray. You could also have a 3M clear-bra dealer cover with black or carbon fiber looking 3M material. Easier to have done but way more expensive than a can of plasti-dip. Dealer won't help with normal wear and tear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right. I am going to plastidip them myself, just wanted to see if the pieces pop off or if I am going to have to tape off the areas.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The '19 Forester Sport dark blue looks great but I'm not a fan of the orange trim. Does anyone know about replacing the trim? Is it expensive to replace? Can it be coated in black? Thank you for any advice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am working on plasti-dipping the pieces. The orange does not come off without taking tabs and stuff out (not sure what to say exactly because my husband looked).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I wish Subaru had easy options to de-customize.
I'm gonna hold off getting the Sport--really like the dark blue color--maybe too old :) for the Orange trim.
Good luck w/ your project! Hope you post pics showing results if you keep going on it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I most deff will! I did one section by myself but was not satisfied with it so I am having a friend who is a professional do it with me so getting our schedules to line up has been a pain.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
31 Posts
The rear orange bumper piece pops off pretty easily, just a piece clips at the bottom (4 or 5) and then locking tabs attaching the upper portion to the rest of the bumper. The side door rockers are attached with clips and 3M tape to the door. I removed my rear bumper but opted to tape off the door and front bumper pieces before painting. Below are some pics. Any questions about the process just let me know.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Sport - Ice Silver Metallic, Option pkg 24.
233 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,156 Posts
If done correctly, plastidip can last as long or longer than vinyl.

·
Registered
2017 Forester (un)Limited
172 Posts
I have always been a fan of carbon fiber and/or matte black. However, another take on the exterior could be replacing the orange with the body color. So white Sport model = white vinyl/paint accent, silver Sport model = silver vinyl/paint, etc. I usually reserve carbon fiber for my last cars like my Legacy GT or WRX...however it might have to make a comeback if I decide on the sport. Thanks for the links!

·
Registered
2019 Sport cvt
152 Posts
I'm pondering adding orange retro-reflective safety tape to the lower orange trim sections on my Sport. Since I have the dark blue, replacing it with black, etc., would be maybe too monochromatic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has anyone with the dark blue removed the orange yet? Looking to do so and would like to see pics if possible. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone match with the car color ? I like the strip of color just not the orange and black look to much like the other forester lineup. My local paint shop said $300 ( pear white) if I remove them, not sure if it’s worth it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts