Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester sport
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, just got a super weird problem on my new 2019 forester today. As I was dropping off my parents, I shifted my shifter to Park and they exited the rear seats, all of the sudden i got this "remove keys before exiting" message. I did not push the ignition button so the car was still running, but was not able to shift the shifter to reverse as it seems like it is locked to park. So in the end i had to push the ignition button to turn the car off and restart the car.

Did anyone experience the same problem as me?

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,918 Posts
I doubt anyone could "remove (their) keys before existing", because they would not exist yet.
Does the car actually issue that message, or does it indicate to remove key before "exiting", as in leaving the vehicle...
(Sometimes spell check doesn't help ;-)

Fortunately for me, I don't have the "convenience" of the keyless ignition, but I've never seen a similar problem posted on the boards.
It sounds like you might have discovered an error in the logic used to determine when the vehicle is actually being parked.. i.e. transmission in park and doors open for passengers. The car was trying to save you from it being stolen, albeit incorrectly.

Repeat the same exit scenario again.
If you can repeat it with the same result, it is a programming error (usually the driver is in the front seat).
Otherwise, you just got a glitch and glitches happen.

In the former case, you can show someone the problem they might decide to address; in the latter they will just shake their heads as they walk away.

·
Registered
2019 Forester sport
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am thinking it could be just a glitch. From what i researched online, this message only comes on when you exist the vehicle while leaving the key inside the car and tries to lock the door. However, in my case, the car is still on and running and im still seated in my seat. I will report back if this problem reoccurs.

·
Registered
2016 2016 & 2015
104 Posts
I've had similar issue on older model 2015 with Start/stop activated, it put the car in an "engine off " state if you open a door. to go again you have to start the engine again... there are certain conditions where it will o will not do it (handbrake/P or N etc...)

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Lineartronic® CVT
324 Posts
I got this message last night. Stopped at the store. got the message as soon as I put the car into park.

·
Registered
2016 Forester Premium
5 Posts
I doubt anyone could "remove (their) keys before existing", because they would not exist yet.
Does the car actually issue that message, or does it indicate to remove key before "exiting", as in leaving the vehicle...
(Sometimes spell check doesn't help ;-)
Yes, the car issued this message. Problem source: Wife carefully hid her purse (with Subaru keyfob) under passenger seat.

Fortunately for me, I don't have the "convenience" of the keyless ignition, but I've never seen a similar problem posted on the boards.
It sounds like you might have discovered an error in the logic used to determine when the vehicle is actually being parked.. i.e. transmission in park and doors open for passengers. The car was trying to save you from it being stolen, albeit incorrectly.

Repeat the same exit scenario again.
If you can repeat it with the same result, it is a programming error (usually the driver is in the front seat).
Otherwise, you just got a glitch and glitches happen.

In the former case, you can show someone the problem they might decide to address; in the latter they will just shake their heads as they walk away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts