Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester base
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I follow several handles on IG as I like to see what cool pictures overlanding brings and ideas for places to go.

My question is, are those galleys, in-cab beds, etc removable?

I can't imagine that you would leave all that gear in your vehicle full time and never be able to actually haul anything in your vehicle because of all the crap you bring with you when you go off the beaten path.

·
Registered
2022 Forester Wilderness
546 Posts
To me, all that built-in stuff seems to make the most sense if the Forester is primarily, if not exclusively, used for camping, for the reasons you mention. One advantage might be that one doesn't have to round up all that gear each time one goes on an outing, which is what I do. If I don't use check lists, something important will get left behind. That said, the advantage of a built-in galley over a simple plastic tub that I toss up on the roof or into the trunk is not obvious to me, particularly because it means you can never camp away from your car, as in most campgrounds. As much as I like the idea of having everything neatly organized, it would drive me bonkers if I had to get up from my picnic table and walk to the car each time I need the salt shaker. Much also depends on whether a garage it at your disposal. Where I live, with the car in the driveway, it would get broken into the first night after installing anything inside.

·
Super Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
5,667 Posts
A lot of it will depend on the install. Some are going to be more permanent but I'm sure most of them will be removeable - but with work.

I know that some are just a plywood "floor" with the added features (drawers, cabinets, sleeping pads, etc.) that are then held in place by gravity (they sit below the plastic "lip" at the rear cargo space) or maybe get screwed in to the "floor" of the cargo space and into the back seat, or are strapped in and held in place that way.

I was going to have a wooden drawer/cabinet added in the back of my Foz, from an IG guy I knew. He made them for his Crosstrek and other folks Crosstrek models. I would have been the first Forester. It was a wooden base and the cabinet built on top that fit into the cargo space (replacing the factory cargo floor board) and then there was a strap that was attached to the LATCH child seat anchors on the back of the rear seats.

Another option can be to purchase a complete "in car sleep system" like the Luno mattress kit. It's an inflatable bed that folds down to the size of a sleeping bag, and an inflatable "block" that fits between the front and rear seats and is formed to use in particular vehicles (like the Forester and Crosstrek and Outback).

There are a few threads on the forum here where folks have described their rear sleeping compartment builds. Found these with the SEARCH COMMUNITY function.

There may be others.

·
Registered
2019 Forester base
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The vast majority are removable pretty quickly. I could probably remove mine in under 60 seconds if I really tried.

I would need a setup like this eventually. While I love taking my Subaru offroad, I also use it to haul computer equipment back and forth for our clients. Thus my need to be able to remove the outdoor setup.

·
Registered
2022 Forester Wilderness
134 Posts
As much as I like the idea of having everything neatly organized, it would drive me bonkers if I had to get up from my picnic table and walk to the car each time I need the salt shaker.
I think the real question here is…why do you keep putting the salt shaker back in the car if that’s not where you want it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Majority of the built in vehicles aren’t the sole vehicle for these owners. This means when it’s time to go to work, or the grocery store, it’s sitting.

if you have storage, I would recommend the removable method. Simply, pluck everything not useful in the daily grind, and set it aside. On the weekend when it’s time to hit the trail, you can just place it back in.

I wouldn’t model your build after others on instagram. Plan your “halo” trip, gear up for that, and scale down for the lesser trips. Don’t blow your budget unless you have a sponsorship or social media fandom.

·
Super Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
5,667 Posts
One of the things that I just recently bought is the Sylvan Sport "Dine-o-Max" camp kitchen. This is from their site -

Rectangle Font Handwriting Camera accessory Strap

It folds up relatively flat and provides a great cooking area when camping.

Bag Luggage and bags Musical instrument Musical instrument accessory Rectangle

It could easily be stored on the roof (in a cargo basket, on your rack). It is a bit spendy - at 400 bucks. But it does give you that portable kitchen for camping or even just a day-trip to the beach or park.

They do have a smaller (and less expensive) that doesn't have the side fold out "table" and you can save some money.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts